Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Black Economy

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1700 times

Old 01-13-2002, 11:35:39 AM
Arney

Default Black Economy

A while back there was a post card on e-bay with a photo of the engines in the Economy plant on it. I noticed that there appear to be some finished Economys painted black or a dark color. The only ones I've seen have been painted red. Does anyone know if they sold Economys painted different colors.

Arney

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2002, 01:34:01 PM
Bill Hazzard

Default Re: Black Economy

They most likley printed the post card in two colors so that there would not be a sea of red engines.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:24:44 PM
glenn

When that post card was made there was only black and white photography. An artist had to add the color. As was said, something was done so the various engines would stand out. To my knowledge, there were never any black original Economy engines.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:21:19 PM
Tom

I remember this same, or a very similar picture showing up in GEM years ago. Charles Wendell, the Reflector, seemed to think that maybe there were some black Economy engines. I guess that it's open to speculation.

I have a Fuller & Johnson farm pump engine. It seems to be pretty well agreed that they were green with aluminum silver heads and cylinders. It's said that some were black from the factory. I've seen a picture of one restored in black. Not sure if it was restored as original, or the owner just liked black.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:55:23 PM
Ed Deis

I agree with Glenn and Bill. I have never seen a black Economy and don't believe there would be one as all the Sear's engines were red to maroon. I have seen a black Hercules (referring to Herc. style block). Actually a Saxon. The engines in the picture all have Economy style blocks and never seen a Saxon with this style block. Been a while since I had a Saxon so correct me if I'm mis-thinking again. Ed