Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

External Hard Drives makes backup files easy

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2387 times

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts
Default External Hard Drives makes backup files easy

I am sure this is old news to the computer savy and just as sure some one will benifit from this suggestion.

I have been using a 1,2 and 4G key memory, or USB memory stick to backup all my digital photos. It works but there is a better solution.

The new generation external drives. These are very small, about same as a cell phone or blackberry or whatever - - small. No power supply just attach a USB cable to your computer and viola! You have a big disk. Just drag and drop to copy to the external disk. I backup all my photos and only scratch the surface. The current generation are 240G, 320G or 500G and even saw 1000G (1T) at cosco today. Price? $65 to $150 bucks. My whole computer only has 40G drive so the latest mid-size typical external drive is almost 10 times more space. Thats a lot of photo storage and its a backup. I still use my desktop for my primary photo storage. When one dies, I have the other for backup. I dont have to mess with a desk full of little 1,2 and 4G key memories.

Bottom line, no one ever should loose thier lifetime collection of digital images, or documents, files, drawing or designs, its very easy to backup. And cheep. Simple drag and drop. No complicated backup procedure, no save an image of a whole computer, no compression. Yes, you can do all that if your a geek. Other folks - Forget that. No need. Your computer is just a pile junk all you need to save is the personal stuff.

FWIW.

Picture attached, I have been advised Western Digital is a reliable product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ExternalDrive.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	51315  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2009, 08:45:33 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,368 Times in 353 Posts
Default Re: External Hard Drives makes backup files easy

You are right, the new ex hard drives are great, I set mine to copy my complete C drive every night, then if something happens to my PC I have a complete backup.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:39:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,889 Times in 3,753 Posts

Definitely better than spending hours dragging & copying to multiple 750Mb disks and then labling them and trying to keep track of what's on each one.

The plug in externals make it easy to transfer from one computer to another too.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:51:50 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Now we're talking about hard drives, I did a hardware update a couple of weeks back and installed a couple of 1TB drives in a RAID.

This is SUPPOSED to obviate backups (onsite) but, since I've been in this game for a number of years, I don't quite trust the RAID to work as promised and alarm me when one of the drives gets errors so I can replace it seamlessly.

The only problem is that I can't seem to find any diagnostics to make sure the RAID is working right. Does anyone out there have a source of good (free) diagnostics I could download?

Thanks!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 07-06-2010, 05:55:17 PM

Thanked 20,683 Times in 5,985 Posts

I hope you are running a RAID 1 or you have no protection at all......
I run a RAID 0 on my home computer for the extra speed I could get at the time. When I get good and ready I'm tossing the EIDE drives as I've had them long enough to not warrant taking my chances at this point AND I can pitch the RAID controller card too....... .......and putting in a single SATA drive.
Ideally a RAID 0+1 would be nice but nothing I DON'T have on an external is worth having 3 drives sucking juice all the time.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:43:49 PM
Registered

How about solid state drives, basically a huge memory stick, with no moving parts, no head to crash, basically bullet proof...down side is $$$$
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25:33 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Craig:

I think I've got RAID 0 because my two 931 GB drives are shown in the RAID as one striped 1.82 TB drive.

If I don't have what I call a true RAID system (where each drive is a clone of the other), I need to revisit my setup.

Thanks for the info.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand