Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

I'm missing some parts???

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1795 times

Old 09-01-2002, 01:32:00 PM
Darryl Boyd

Default I'm missing some parts???

I seem to be missing some parts on a Fairbanks Morse 2 hp. It is the mag and maybe some (maybe all) of the govenor or timing section. I have a FM 1 1/2 hp, but it is a battery and coil engine and is different I think.

You can see it at

http://www.boydhouse.com/darryl/chugger/

Any help in IDing the parts or where I can find some info on it, or the parts would very very much apreciated!!! Thank you!!! Darryl

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2002, 04:21:43 PM
Joe Morris

Default Re: I'm missing some parts???

Yes, you are missing all the ingredients you mentioned. Magneto, timing gear bracket ,cam gear , governors. All these parts are held on by a hard to find bracket that bolts to the frame useing the two bolts that are in the frame/ block. if memory serves me right. Been a while since I worked on a" Z " This is subject to correction.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:01:40 PM
Jason Weinke

It looks like you engine was used as a donor to fix someone elses engine. If you can find the bracket alone it will run you around $200. A lot of these also end up broken because they were made from pot metal. I believe Hit & Miss sells a repo piece. It might be easier to find an engine which had a stuck piston and broken water jacket and start robbing pieces.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:11:42 AM
Russ Hughes

My FM 2 Hp Model "Z" had a damaged zinc gear and governor casting also. I ordered a new one from one of the advertsers herein (Hit-N-Miss probably) and it was an aluminum casting which cost somewhere around $50.00 or so. It came fully machined, all the parts fit like new. The aluminum casting will last far longer than the zinc which would be difficult at best to even think about repairing. The stuff melts at a prety low temperature. Buy a new one, it's the only way to go!!!

As for the other possible missing parts, they can be ordered also, for the most part, from the same source.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:27:23 AM
Darryl Boyd

I checked out "Hit and Miss" and they do have them in Alum.

HM206 Cam-Magneto-Gov. Bracket 1 1/2-2HP $117.50

Not cheap, but at least they have them.

Thanks for all the help!!

Darryl