Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

So now where do I go for a new trailer

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2543 times

Old 03-29-2003, 10:42:44 AM
Steve Gerot

Default So now where do I go for a new trailer

As you all know I no longer have a trailer. I want to replace it with a nicer one. I think about a 4x8(or 5x10 maybe) deck is about as big as I want to go since I have an S10 and will probably never own anything bigger. Im looking at those black trailers from Menards with the expanded steel decks but I dont know if I want a steel deck or not. I want to spend no more than $500 which will cover one of them. If any one knows of a place to find them cheaper or maybe something better suited for the money I will be gratefull. I tried ebay, after sifting through hundreds of toys and $100,000 trailers I did not see anything for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2003, 11:15:07 AM
Jim Tremble

Default Re: So now where do I go for a new trailer

Steve

If you find the SOB that took your trailer, take him on a "ONEWAY FISHING TRIP" !!!!!!!!! I HATE A THIEF !!!!

Two things I would be concerned about on the trailer is:

Expanded metal deck.---Think of the dirt that will collect on the engines as you drive down the road. A solid deck will greatly reduce the debris from the road. AND, what if a small part (nut-bolt-etc) comes loose and falls through the holes ??

WHEEL SIZE !!!---Try to find a trailer with larger wheels than you had on the other. Think about those small bearings SCREAMING, grease me, grease me, as you travel at 60-65 MPH. Those trailers are made for around town, light duty hauling at speeds of 35 MPH and under.

Look for a good used trailer that will serve the purpose and then set it up the way you want it.

Just a few things I would concider,

Jim
Old 03-29-2003, 11:34:30 AM
Steve Gerot

Yup Tire size was why I decided not to get another one like the one I had. The black ones have 12" rims I believe which I think are big enough. Around here used ones are priced higher than new@ reasons I like a wood floor better are things dont slide around as easy and you can bolt things down. But then again a fellow could bolt plywood to the expaned steel and get by with much thinner sheets. That guy had a lot of balls, he had to pull my trailer through the court right past many people who know whos it is. My nnew one is going to stay right next to my house rather the landlord likes it or not.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:30:02 PM
Steve Gerot

Default What about springs?

What is the general opinion on springs or no springs?
Old 03-29-2003, 09:01:26 PM
Mike in NC

Steve,

I say get one with springs. They will take out some of the bounce from bumps in the road. When you get a new trailer, get a BIG THICK chain. A man around where we live, had a trailer stolen not once, but twice. The worse thing is that he had a 6 horse-power side shaft Titan on it. Thank goodness he got both back in one peice with no damage. He bought a big chain and runs it through the rim and around the frame. Hope you get yours back, or find out who did it. MIke and Jen

Mike and Jen's Old Engines
Old 03-29-2003, 09:02:41 PM
Marty

Default Re: What about springs?

General opinion ? No springs on a trailer is the same thing as begging to toss off anything that's loaded. It's also begging to rip nylon hold down straps due to the jerks from road bumps. My opinion is, no springs, no brains. Tire size also is a key. Those dinky little 8 inch wheels/tires fry bearings running Hwy speed and magnify any and all road bumps. Opinion based on experience, believe me. As for trailer size, a bigger trailer is harder to rip off. I have a 16 ft. ( 1800 lbs ) tandem axle I pull more often behind my little Ford Ranger than behind my 3/4 ton Ford. Don't under estimate those little trucks, mine works like a mule.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:39:00 PM
Engine Nut 1

Steve, Sorry to hear about your loss of trailer. I would be LOST without one of mine!

Where do you live??? There is a place here in the Kansas City Area the is REALLY reasonable on trailers. If you live somewhere in the driveable area (within a few hundred miles), I will be happy to check on prices for you. I would even think about meeting you somewhere if that helps. This cuts each drivers distance greatly.

Let me know if I can help David In KCK
Old 03-30-2003, 02:44:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,920 Times in 1,740 Posts

Steve: Big wheels/tires, wood deck and springs is the only way to go. With the wood deck you can screw wood blocks to keep things from sliding forward and sideways, even with straps as tight as you can get them, etc... Paul
Old 03-30-2003, 12:01:46 PM
Elden DuRand

Guys:

Remember, if you want to chain your trailer to something, use tempered chain and a tempered padlock. Bolt cutters will make short work of regular hardware store chain.

For myself, I use a tempered padlock on the hitch lever and put it back on after unhooking. Not as good as chaining the trailer to a million pound hunk of concrete but so far.......

Take care - Elden
Old 03-30-2003, 10:40:58 PM
dick from Ct

steve i just bought a trailer this past weekend 15 inch wheels'springs,dump body,woodplank floor, steel side boards, wired up, 2 inch ball hitch, 5 by 8 foot bed, made by anderson trailer, brand new. 795.00 bucks. dick-ct
Old 03-31-2003, 08:07:27 PM
Gus P

You might want to cut the threaded shaft off a spare hitch ball. Insert this in the hitch before you padlock it. That way it can't be dropped over a smaller ball.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:52:08 PM
Doug Barbee

Steve, Try to stay with the larger tires; 13,14 or 15" They are lots easier to find replacements if you need one on the road.Also,go with springs.Wood floor has lots of advantages.As a welder/fabricator, I build a lot of trailers, got 6, 5 x 8's in process right now!Just my 2 cents worth. Doug