Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Computer Backup to External Hard Drive

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2728 times

Old 07-03-2011, 02:18:55 PM
Subscriber

Default Computer Backup to External Hard Drive

I bought an external hard drive, Seagate Free Agent Go Flex, and I was told that I can backup my entire computer on this drive. (good salesman) 1TG of storage on the external drive. I can not find a way to backup my computer. It did backup my files and folders (2.7 GB of 30GB) but no programs, Windows XP or anything else. My computer hard drive is maxed out and I need to save the data on here.

Do I need added software to do a complete backup or what ??

Confused,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 05:06:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Computer Backup to External Hard Drive

If you use Windows... XP or later, anyway, you can do various types of backup.... best way to find out is to click your mouse on a blank area of your desktop, and then hit the F1 function key... brings up windows help... then type in 'backup' in the search at the top.
Have a look at the various topics, including the 'Types of backup'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
If you use Windows... XP or later, anyway, you can do various types of backup.... best way to find out is to click your mouse on a blank area of your desktop, and then hit the F1 function key... brings up windows help... then type in 'backup' in the search at the top.
Have a look at the various topics, including the 'Types of backup'
Should have added... you can get software that will backup in a totally different wy too... that actually copies the Windows drive as is to another drive/partition... look for Paragon Drive backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveM For This Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31:48 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,368 Times in 353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tremble View Post
I bought an external hard drive, Seagate Free Agent Go Flex, and I was told that I can backup my entire computer on this drive. (good salesman) 1TG of storage on the external drive. I can not find a way to backup my computer. It did backup my files and folders (2.7 GB of 30GB) but no programs, Windows XP or anything else. My computer hard drive is maxed out and I need to save the data on here.

Do I need added software to do a complete backup or what ??

Confused,

Jim
I have a Clickfree external hard drive, and they don't back up any programs. Most programs can be re-downloaded, but it's the files that I don't want to lose.
Good luck
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21:07 PM
Registered

Actually, windows comes with a utility called Microsoft Backup. You can use this utility to make a full copy of everything on your drive. My advice is to first wipe clean the external drive with a “Quick Format” option. These companies include all sorts of buggery utilities that are simply not needed and actually complicated to use. Microsoft backup is all you will ever need to backup a PC, even a full drive copy.

Find Microsoft Backup by going Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools. There will be a drive icon in there called Backup. That is what you are looking for. Tinker with that a bit and you will soon find how to backup the entire drive. If you have any other questions, I will monitor the thread for a while.

Sincerely,

TechJeff
The Following User Says Thank You to TechJeff For This Post:
Old 09-25-2011, 04:21:26 PM
Registered

Also, it sounds like you are trying to just make a general backup and then remove some of your files from the hard drive to store on the external drive.

This is in an attempt to clear data from the computers hard drive for better operation? I need to ask that question and make sure I know why you are doing this. Reply back with the details and I can advise you as to the best way to proceed.

TechJeff
Old 09-25-2011, 10:19:07 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJeff View Post
Also, it sounds like you are trying to just make a general backup and then remove some of your files from the hard drive to store on the external drive.

This is in an attempt to clear data from the computers hard drive for better operation? I need to ask that question and make sure I know why you are doing this. Reply back with the details and I can advise you as to the best way to proceed.

TechJeff
Jeff

Thanks for the replies. I give up on this. You were correct that I wanted to back up the entire computer. Files, folders, programs, etc. After 5 attempts to do a backup, the program, (file & settings transfer wizard) would stop responding in the middle of the transfer. I found 4 viruses and got rid of them. The next attempt in doing the backup, nothing went to the external hard drive. If I find more info on doing this, I will attempt it again.

The computer does run better after the virus scan, tho.

Jim
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56:52 PM
Registered

I use Acronis home. It backs up the entire hard drive including the operating system. I like it because if my hard drive fails, within a couple of hours, I can have it back the way it is now. As well, you can just restore one or more files, as required. It saved me last time the computer failed. As well I do more than one backup, and store them out of the house. In tge case of a fire, I still have my data. It runs in the background, so yu ocan still use your computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renny For This Post:
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34:22 PM
Subscriber

Renny

Now that is what I have been looking for. Where can a person get the program ?? In a store or do you have to buy online ?? Also, is this a yearly subscription ?? I hope it will backup to an external drive.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-29-2011, 11:38:53 AM
Registered

Jim,

Ah, so there is much more going on here then just a simple backup!

Now this is where I get to repay you guys for all the generator knowledge you have shared AND prove I am not a total dufus, lol.

First, don’t buy anything until we get the old computer is a clean state! Nothing is going to work right with spamware/viruses attacking the operating system. I will have more details for you later, but in the meantime you should download a malware program called Malware Bytes. It is a free program, though you have to give them your email. Don’t worry, they won’t spam you.

Install that and run it and you will be shocked at what it finds. THEN the computer is ready to proceed using Microsoft Backup.

You should consider Mozy or Carbonite for an online backup or someone mentioned Acronis? But don’t install until we talk again. Run Malware Bytes first.

There is nothing going on here we can't fix, but it needs to be fixed before you can do anything. You might wonder why you bought a new computer once you get it cleaned up!

Jeff