Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Microsoft Security Essentials?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2434 times

Old 02-17-2011, 01:33:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,797 Times in 485 Posts
Default Microsoft Security Essentials?

This week, I got a new computer for my home office - Windows XP Pro. I always used Windows Defender and found Microsoft Security Essentials when I went to download Defender. Microsoft's website said Defender was only for spyware and not virus protection. SE sounded better, so I downloaded it (I have dial-up). Then it immediately said it need updating, so I said OK. I let it download updates for 3 hours and it wasn't even half through, so I said heck with that, turned it off and went to bed. My question is: Would this extra-long download time be once only, or every time it needs to update? Should I chunk it and go for something else that can be updated in a faster time? If so, what do you all recommend? Remember, this is dial-up. I seldom surf the internet with that computer, mainly email and my website and store so I am usually not on the internet for extended periods of time.
Brenda S

Last edited by Brenda S; 02-17-2011 at 01:35:26 PM. Reason: Fixed something I should have seen before.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59:49 PM

Thanked 20,697 Times in 5,986 Posts
Default Re: Microsoft Security Essentials?

I've read good reviews about that.
Here's what CNET has to say about it: http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-S...-10969260.html

Microsoft says to run SE alone with no other antivirus or spyware installed.
The installer is the short download. The endless download you are experiencing is most likely program and virus updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 02:31:17 PM
Registered

I have been using it since November of 2009 and am very pleased with it. I have it running on 4 machines at home and 6 at work and have never had a bit of trouble with it.
To answer your question: Yes, the first download after installation can be lengthy. I don't know how lengthy on a dial-up since I am on high speed. the first update on my last install took ten minutes or so on my high speed connection, subsequent updates seem to take a minute or so. Sorry to be so vague.

Last edited by Joe Prindle; 02-17-2011 at 02:34:26 PM. Reason: forgot to actually answer the question. DOH!
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Prindle For This Post:
Old 08-23-2013, 08:14:50 PM
Registered

i have VFware fushion on my macpro with windows 7 home premium. thats all i use is MSE. does the job. it does need updating from time to time. just make sure your computer isnt going to sleep while downloading, you know shutting down.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,944 Posts

Brenda, been using it for years. It works, price is right. 1st download, it has to get all the updates for viruses and malware from when program was written to now.
Subsequent updates occur in background on my machines, and I do not notice them. It is slower than some other programs.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:10:14 PM
Registered

Yes, Download mse. It is the way to go. You may want to take your computer some ware with a faster connection to down load your initial installation.