Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

RIP Kent David Redd aka K D Redd

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 8559 times

Old 01-19-2012, 07:03:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,959 Times in 735 Posts
Default RIP Kent David Redd aka K D Redd

I dont know if anyone else knows this but I just spoke with Kents wife and she informed me that he was killed in a tractor accident on the 15 of December. She told me that he was clearing out a row of old dead trees with their John Deere B, one of the trees he had a chain around but didnt realize that the tree had completely grown around a steel fence post, when he tried to pull the tree up it didnt budge and it pulled the tractor over on top of him. Although he lived just 100+ miles south of me (Pleasant Hope, MO.) I never got to see him in person but I spoke to him several times on the phone and here on the stak, he helped me plenty and was the one who did the coil conversion for one of my very first engines that got me going into this hobby, my Briggs ZZ. Rest in Peace Redd, you will be greatly missed.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 07:58:26 PM
Banned

Default Re: RIP Kent David Redd aka K D Redd

That's the first I've heard of it.

R.I.P Mr. Redd.
The Following User Says Thank You to sprkplug For This Post:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,239 Times in 585 Posts

we'll meet again ol engine friend. thanks for all your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12:19 PM
Subscriber

Sorry to hear it. He seemed to be very knowledgeable about engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom G For This Post:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,084 Posts

Never met the man, but I enjoyed many of his helpful post on the stak, he was well versed in our hobby, I saw here, he helped many people with his deep knowledge and I'm sorry to hear this. He was a great stakker
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01:10 PM
Registered-I

R.I.P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetractorfreak For This Post:
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58:39 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,060 Posts

All I can say is WOW!
What an amazing & knowledgeable man Kent was.
Condolences to his wife & family

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

his OBIT:

Kent David Redd

Birth: Aug. 14, 1950
Halfway
Polk County
Missouri, USA
Death: Dec. 15, 2011
Pleasant Hope
Polk County
Missouri, USA

Kent David Redd, 61, of Pleasant Hope died Dec. 15, 2011, at his home. He was born Aug. 14, 1950, in Half Way, the son of Herbert Redd and Dorthy Anderson Redd. On May 21, 1976, Kent married Loretta Choate Redd.

He was a devoted husband who shared a great love of all animals with his wife. Never was an animal of any kind turned away; they were always fed, warmed and loved.

Kent loved a challenge of any kind. If it was broke, he wanted to fix it. He worked at Zenith for 19 years. His love for automotives and electronics led him to begin his own business after Zenith closed.

He attended Rock Prairie Missionary Baptist Church for many years and was a volunteer with the Pleasant Hope Fire Department.

Kent was preceded in death by his mother, Dorthy Redd, and his mother-in-law, Irene Choate.

He is survived by his wife of 35 years, Loretta; his father, Herbert Redd; a brother, Emmett Redd and wife Judy; a sister, Pam Lakey and husband Farron; two nephews, Matthew Lakey and wife Lori and Nathan Redd; two nieces, Farrah Lakey and Emmily Bolen and husband Josh; six great-nieces and great-nephews; and his father-in-law, Novie Choate.

Services were Sunday, Dec. 18, at Pitts Chapel with Bro. DeWayne Burdette and Bro. Jerry Grant officiating. Burial was in Rock Prairie Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Rock Prairie Missionary Baptist Church or the Pleasant Hope Fire Department.

KY3 reported shortly after the accident:

A farmer died on Thursday afternoon after his tractor fell on top of him in a field. Emergency medical responders said Kent Redd, 61, was pulling a steel post out of the ground when the tractor tipped over.

The accident was on Redd's property near the intersection of Highway KK at Highway H just north of Pleasant Hope. The accident especially affected the medical responders because Redd was a volunteer for the Pleasant Hope Fire Department.

THE BOLIVAR HERALD-FREE PRESS
Dec 20, 2011

Kent David Redd, 61, of Pleasant Hope lived a life of public service, according to those who served alongside him in the Pleasant Hope Fire Protection District and the city of Pleasant Hope, until his untimely death in a tractor accident Thursday afternoon near Pleasant Hope.

"He'll be missed by us," said fellow firefighter David Agee. "We've already missed him."

Polk County Coroner Roy Harms said Redd died in a tractor accident at about 3:20 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, at 1001 Hwy. KK near the intersection of Rt. H just north of Pleasant Hope.

"He was pulling out old stumps in a small orchard, and he had a chain attached to a steel post used long ago to stabilize a young tree. The root system had grown around the post and offered resistance," Harms said. "The tractor flipped over and upside down."

Fellow firefighter and city of Pleasant Hope employee Rick Davis said Redd was like a brother to him.

"I just saw him 15 minutes before the accident — on the tractor," Davis said. "We had our day all planned out on Friday."

As a fire department volunteer, Redd operated the pumps on the fire trucks, worked most of the helicopter landing zones set up by the department, did traffic control at emergency scenes and performed maintenance on the department's equipment.

"Back when he joined the department, he said, ‘If you get me on the fire department, I can't handle blood,'" Davis said. So his first job with the department was traffic control.

"Anything we asked him to do, he would do it — as long as it didn't involve blood. He was there for almost every call."

His home-based small-engine repair business allowed for him to respond to calls most any time, and his mechanical prowess was invaluable to the department, as well as the city of Pleasant Hope.

"If we had something broken, he'd work on it," Agee said.

"This guy was a genius. If you wanted something built, he would build it," Davis said.

Redd also worked for the city for a couple of years as a water meter reader.

Troy Copeland, who works for the city of Pleasant Hope and is a volunteer firefighter, said Redd came to the city's rescue several times with his mechanical knowledge.

"He was kind of our on-call guy with electrical problems we had," Copeland said. "He was always there if we had a tough problem."

Once, when a lift station went down during the night and the replacement part that was received the next day didn't work, Copeland said Redd went to his house and came back with odd parts that kept the lift station running for six weeks until the replacement part showed up.

"You can't always judge a book by its cover," Copeland said. "He seemed so stand-offish, but once you got to know him, he would do anything for you. He would drop what he was doing to help you out."

Fire trucks and personnel from Morrisville, Ebenezer, Chapel Hills, Bolivar City, Central Polk County Fire and Rescue and Half Way were at the funeral Sunday afternoon.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34:38 AM
Monte Stock

Kent was a local boy around here. Though I never met him, I felt I knew him from this board. This literally is bringing tears to my eyes. I had the same feelings with Delco Don. We have lost two great folks lately. God bless their family and Friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 04:52:26 AM
Registered-II

im at a loss for the right words. i knew Kent though emails we exchanged about DB items and other engine stuff. It going to be a huge loss for the entire small engine groups.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36:48 AM
Registered-III

this past summer kent helped me with a engine.we met on the stak.i stopped by his farm when i was going south on vacation,he asked me to bring the engine along,so i did we talked for a few hours and i left the engine with him. and on my way back again stopped by and he had the proble resolved.he was very smart he showed me around his shop and farm. he was very kind man didnt want anything for fixin my engine and gave me a engine to take home.i think he would have helped anyone in need.i felt like i knew him for years after meeting him.thanks for posting his obituary.i may have not found out for a long time
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtycurt For This Post: