Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Onan 25EC-4R8/12J with Ford 223 CID

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 1087 times

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55:46 PM
Registered-I

Thumbs up Onan 25EC-4R8/12J with Ford 223 CID

Hello to all,

I've returned to the forum after a 2 1/2 year absence while setting things up on a new farmstead. I've owned my 1960 25KW 3-phase genset since an old gentleman freely gave it to me several years ago. The Ford 223 is seized tightly and the genset has obviously been sitting and rusting for many years.

While moving in 2009, a friend wanted the genset and bought it for a discounted price. Even though I told him the set probably needed a complete overhaul, he thought to make it operate within a few weeks and later called to ask me to buy it back. I took that as a serious hint to undertake the project. As of this year, I have a garage AND the equipment to begin the work. As others have warned, this unit is getting into my blood and I'm beginning to wonder if this project isn't my life's calling.

I've worked at a 1,000 MW coal-fired power plant in eastern Oklahoma for 15 years. I wasn't familiar with the older technical details of my Onan genset but this forum has already done much to help and I'm grateful. I also have several years of car repair experience which is good for this project. So, it appears my background in electricity and automotive work has placed this project within reach.

My Onan project isn't an antique restoration but a modernization and improvement. The unit predates my own life by six years and I think the old-timers incorporated some good ideas and concepts into the original design which my generation has forgotten but I have planned several upgrades like gauges, propane fuel conversion, alternator, oil cooler, etc. The genset has a 07SX1N1C magneciter and it appears intact. It looks simple enough (inductors, transformers, diodes) and new wiring and diodes might make it new again. However, I'm not opposed to an electronic regulator retrofit.

I'm interested in tapping the collective wisdom and experience here to make this big Onan project a smashing success. More importantly, I want to have fun during this work and I'm enjoying it already. Thank you very much, already...
Sponsored Links