Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Titan type D 20 hp

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 3288 times

Old 04-26-2013, 05:02:42 AM
Registered-III

Default Titan type D 20 hp

I thought i would post some information of how i rebuilt the cylinder head on the engine as there may be others who can adapt the information to other engines they may have.
I started out with a engine that was full of water for years so the valves and associated parts had a fair amount of corrosion as shown in the attached photos.
Now as valve sizes are around 4" in head diameter it makes it kind of difficult to get hold of grinding stones and tooling to bore the seat pocket and cut the seat angle, most shops only do car to truck size valves which are much smaller, i will explain what i did to overcome this in the next few posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inlet valve.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	163760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cylinder head general view.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	163761  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 05:06:32 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Titan type D 20 hp

Made new Valves one out of billet and the other 2 piece as per original, cast iron head threaded onto steel stem.
Made new inlet guide and sleeved the exhaust casting with bearing bronze.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inlet valve new with new guide EN 26 valve and 2P grey iron .jpg
Views:	180
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	163762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust valve with new stem and guide 2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	163763  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18:08 AM
Registered-III

Next was to bore the head for seat inserts, i put the new guides in the head and set it up in a RVR cylinder head machine.
Made two pilots out of steel to suit inlet/exhaust and RVR, bored the counterbore with a flycutter on both seats.
Turned a blank peice of 2p cast iron on the lathe so it was a press fit in the bore of each, fitted both with 0.005" interference fit and then flycut the seat angle of 45 degrees. That was the end of the RVR machine work. seats roughed out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	45 seat with 70 degree throat cut.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	163764  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 05:41:48 AM
Registered-III

I was able to use a "normal" valve grinder to grind the valve faces, but a tool post grinder in a lathe will work also, setting the cross slide to 45 degrees between chuck and centre.
There is a system called warren and brown syncro seat grinder you can buy stones for this but not as large as what i wanted.
I got hold of an old stone and used the threaded mount by hitting with an hammer the old stone was removed leaving the mount.
This mount screws onto a holder and a pilot goes in the middle,then is put in the guide and driven by a air drill or electric drill with a wobble drive so it drives central to the guide to grind the seat.
I purchased two grinding wheels used on a small bench grinder about the length of the mount and a little bit bigger in bore size than the od of the mount and od of the valves.
I found this glue Qbond which i used to glue the stone to the mount, (sets rock hard in seconds) sitting the mount about central to the bore and filling the bore with powder setting off with superglue in several layers, making note to put some aluminum foil underneath so it does not stick to the table.
Once set i was able to use the warren and brown holder and stone dresser to shape both stones to 45 and 70 degree face with appropriate diameter. Q bond is available online just to a quick google search. can dress in lathe chuck with a diamond and tool post set to the angle, same thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cylinder head stones and one guide.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	163765   Click image for larger version

Name:	bonding material 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	163766  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43:55 AM
Registered-III

I Ground the seats checking for correct angle with bearing blue on the valve, ajusting dresser to suit, where does not touch you remove material from the stone by changing the angle of the dresser until you get a match of valve face to the valve seat.
So attached is what i ended up with, i gave it a quick grind with valve paste so the "grey" colour is the seat shown on the valves.
Its a little low on the valve but thats ok for this application and grinding means you do not have to lap seats, i just did anyway.
Seats will be pass the fuel wet leak test and blue test at this stage and will be light tight.
If they are not put blue on valve rotate on surface to check seat, put blue on seat rotate valve on surface to check valve is true.
Loose pilots can cause problems and grinding valve face non centric will be items to look at, how the bearing blue marks the parts will show what the problem is.
The process should work with black and decker grinding kits also just looking as they are similiar to what we have over here.
So hopefully that will help someone else out doing the job, otherwise you have to go to ship repairers for large valve engines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Valve contact area.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	163767   Click image for larger version

Name:	assembled head.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	163768  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53:52 AM
Registered-III

Finished head painted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3080038.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	163769   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3080041.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	163770  
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49:01 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for the detailed pictures of repairs on the head. Very informative.

Bill
Old 04-28-2013, 03:43:36 AM
Registered-III

Well had better post a picture as found, so things don't get out of sequence too much on this post. It was found by my father thats me in the photo as a child.....It was sitting in the ground some as you can see in the photos, the loading and and one at home.
The cylinder was full of water too, so engine was locked solid. My father fixed the water situation and freed up the engine so it would spin over. Had some pit marks on the top of the bore from the water damage. You can see the moss growing on the mudguard and clutch hub if you look closely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tractor as found1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	163910  
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 04:04:56 AM
Registered-III

Now back to more recent times, with this tractor i have taken many photos of it and found some markings on the cooling tank and on the sides of the chassis. I think one would read patent the other Mawaukee as how many words have two "ee"s on the end, chassis sides.
The 94 i have no idea what that means. There was some scraps of red paint left and some scraps of green. The tank read titan type d and has the ihc logo underneath on the sides and a small ihc logo on the front. Are there any other tractors that you have seen with these marks, does anyone know what Patent no this tractor would have had or if this was made in Mawaukee as it looks to be the case.
Its a 1912 production year model going from the serial numbers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cooling tank front with a tape to size 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	163911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of tank.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	163912   Click image for larger version

Name:	patent date on Chassis 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	163913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patent on rhs of chassis.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	163914  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 04:22:55 AM
Registered-III

One more photo of the side of the tank and a photo of an original IHC logo i found pictured on a 10 famous base over in america.
The coloured photo of the 10hp famous differs from the tank one in the fact that the centre of the H is curved on the 10hp base and the tank logo is in fact straight across so they must have changed the logo at some stage in the early years.All that is left on the tank is the "faded" remains so i would imagine it would have had international harvestor going through the IH as well although its hard to be sure of that. i cant make out the chicago on the tank either. Open to information on logos of the era found by anyone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IHC Logo tank.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	163919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IHC logo from a 10hp engine original-USA.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	163920  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post: