Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Aftermarket Generator Controller All-in-One Including AVR, Governor, etc?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1838 times

Old 02-16-2017, 04:17:33 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Aftermarket Generator Controller All-in-One Including AVR, Governor, etc?

Is there a good, worthwhile aftermarket product out there that will:

1. Start and stop the generator in response to 2-wire as per normal, monitor oil pressure, coolant, etc. (I believe we have analog sender inputs on this unit)

2. Provide AVR for a standard small brushless generator head

3. Operate a Woodward actuator mounted on top of a normal, small injection pump

It currently has proprietary all-in-one controls that I would love nothing more than to pitch into the garbage can.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2017, 09:00:55 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,912 Times in 3,222 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket Generator Controller All-in-One Including AVR, Governor, etc?

I do not know of one, but imagine that there is at least a modest market for same. You are not the only one who has noted that certain companies appear to use proprietary controls as a method of virtual highway robbery.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: Aftermarket Generator Controller All-in-One Including AVR, Governor, etc?

Might have to DIY it.
Don't know about avr but according to my grandfather you can use a 555 or a 556 circuit to control a small linear motor. Has pots for adjustment on rpm and how fast it corrects. You can use a magnet/hall effect generator on the flywheel, feeding the 556 which controls the linear motor. Might be a trick getting the 556 output to control the motor but it should work.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

Most the new inverter generators use a stepper motor on the throttle linkage for super fast throttle response. I think that you could do fast enough response using an RC servo. Those are dirt cheap and can indeed be driven by a 555 PWM circuit (556 is a PLL). Next big hurdle is dealing with choke during startup. My suggestion would be to use a Chinese scooter carb which has a solinoid driven fuel enrichment valve. Kohler uses an automotive style bimetalic spring with heater, but OMG do they want serious cash for one.

As to AVR design... Start with a small sample isolation transformer with appropriate 120/240 primary (Match to output). Get lowest secondary you can find (because RMS converters take between 0.200 V - 1.0 V MAX input with 0.200 V being the most common.) Scale secondary down to ~85-90% of max input for RMS converter. I'd favor AD736 as being cheap, but plenty good and still available in 8 pin DIP package.

Next feed RMS converter out into LM10CN, which has built in voltage ref tied to an op-amp for scaling, plus a second op-amp for comparison.

FeedLM10 output to one or two transistor driver stages feeding beefy output transistor pulling down low side of field (with 1N5408 3A 1000V back EMF diode bypassing output to ground!) For an output I'd use 2SC5200, 15A 230V with adequate heat sink. Driver use LM194.

Of course start by feeding aux winding through FWB and filter cap to power rest. + Runs directly to high side of field as well as powering the rest.

As to logic control... not my forte! Find a teenager to program a Rasberry PI or some such. Last CPU programming I did was about three to four decades ago.
Doc

Last edited by Thaumaturge; 03-21-2017 at 08:25:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11:38 AM
Email NOT Working

I am thinking something commercially available. So that I can take a machine by one of the Big Names that has a totally screwed up control system and just rip it all out and start over. And not have to buy and find room for a separate AVR, governor, control system, etc.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:44:11 PM
Registered

I was just reading your post. I was reading a article on LinkedIn about Woodward has what your looking for. They did not state what size prime mover they make it for. You said small don't know if it going to work. Try contacting Woodward and see if what they have can help you.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:39:48 PM
Registered

www.deepseaplc.com

They have what you want other than the built-in AVR. They do have units that will trim an AVR to do reactive/active power control when paralleled with another set or a utility source, but nothing with an AVR in the controller to my knowledge.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:16:49 PM
Registered

I'm afraid I've been looking for the same thing for a long time and have never found an off the shelf solution. I've done a fair amount of controls work on the control systems on a two 30 and 50 kW gensets (and by that I mean gutted). I've come to prefer systems from GAC and DeapSea PLC, although due to their frightfully expensive (industrial) pricing I've gotten both of them from China for pennies on the dollar.

If you are looking for recommendations, AliExpress has the GAC ADC225 actuator and ESD5500E governor and magnetic speed sensor for less than $300. It will actuate pretty much anything.

AliExpress also has the DeapSeaPLC DSE7210/20 for about $200 as well. It's a fully programmable PLC that you can hook up to your computer and set all the relevant parameters to run the generator, quite user friendly.

AliExpress also has many AVRs, but as I don't have a brushless genset I can't share any advice on that.