Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Hauling Engines

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 3291 times

Old 03-08-2017, 09:18:38 AM
Registered

Default Hauling Engines

Good morning! We have access to a step deck trailer with very low height (30ish inches) and want to know if anyone has hauled engines on a step deck before. We know we need a pretty decent ramp on the back for engines. Just looking to see if anyone knew of any issues with hauling engines this way, also any tips, any suggestions? We are good on height for hauling engines= 10'6" + 2' 6" = 13'. Thank you to any who can provide us insight. -P
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 10:02:42 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,720 Times in 1,213 Posts
Default Re: Hauling engines

Step decks are used frequently to haul engines. I recommend a wood deck, not a steel deck, more friction means less sliding. If it is steel you must put rubber between the wheels and deck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42:34 AM
Registered

We haul our 18 advance and 50 case on the stepdeck but if using ramps I would suggest using a winch to load as the front end gets very light at the break over point while under steam power.
The Following User Says Thank You to 80 case For This Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 12:16:00 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Good morning! We have access to a step deck trailer with very low height (30ish inches) and want to know if anyone has hauled engines on a step deck before. We know we need a pretty decent ramp on the back for engines. Just looking to see if anyone knew of any issues with hauling engines this way, also any tips, any suggestions? We are good on height for hauling engines= 10'6" + 2' 6" = 13'. Thank you to any who can provide us insight. -P
I'm glad you asked the question before using the trailer. I've bumped 2 threads for you to review.

This would be my partial list based on the engines we have hauled.
  • Wooden Deck--if steel, cover with belting that is attached to the trailer.
  • WINCH!!! Always use a winch when possible because you can control the load.
  • Saddle the engine. Using the winch pull the engine up on the blocks so it is about 1 inch off of the trailer, block the rear and let it settle into the blocks. This minimizes rocking. Keep in mind that the engine will settle down into the blocks and you'll need to check your chains.
  • Use at least 6 high tensile (DOT reg) chains-all 4 corners plus front & rear. If using snap or over the center binders, wire the handles.
  • Check your chains about a mile down the road and again especially if you have rough roads. You'll be surprised on how they loosen.
  • I prefer never to put the wheels up against the gooseneck or beaver tail. Some prefer it that way, but I'm not a fan.
  • I prefer to haul with water in the boiler as I was always taught it helps cushion the tubes. Other folks prefer hauling dry.
  • DOT check the trailer if it isn't yours. Use a creeper to run the underside looking for bad cross members, faulty wiring, brake lines, etc. Check the tires especially if you are hauling heavy or in heat.
  • Watch for tree limbs. They will take out a stack or a governor if you hit them just right.
  • Be prepared for gawkers. They are a hazard.
  • Make sure everything on the platform is secure from oil cans, coal, wood, tools, tool boxes, bunkers, tanks, pokers, etc. You'll be surprised what will fly.
  • Make sure the smokebox and firebox doors are securely closed.
  • Make sure the water tanks are empty and secure! DOT will stop you if you have spray (believe me...they thought I had a hot brake.) You can also crack castings.

A lot depends on your load and your experience. Unloading is another list.

Be safe.

Beth
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 08:58:37 AM
Registered

Double, no triple the comment about "ALWAYS USE A WINCH".

Attempting to load under power is a recipe for disaster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dale Miner For This Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 01:20:36 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,841 Times in 408 Posts
Default Re: Hauling Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Northern,
When you say you have access to a step deck, do you mean to borrow, buy or just hire a hauler? We have used a step and it works fine. It is a bit spooky loading and unloading at ground level when climbing 3 ft off the ground up a set of ramps. If you have a bulkhead to back against it works fine. Now the size of machine makes a huge difference. A large steamer hangs over the edge so careful is the key word. Small machines are far less spooky. Now back to my first question, If you are looking to buy one to haul large machines I would look at a low bed. All of the above is dependent on the truck-tractor. In this country winch trucks are nearly unheard of so you need a detachable trailer.
Attached is a photo of the 35 Nichols on a step deck. In this case we used a forklift to load. This machine is 10 ft wide so backing it on to an 8'-6" deck was too spooky for me. This is an aluminum trailer.
The other photo is our low bed which we bought especially for the steamers. You can see the difference in spookyness. It is a raised rail 40 ton trailer. With the rails you can't get off over the side. You could haul the machines without any chains because they cant go forward, backward or sideways. We use 4 chains with ratchet cinches. If you look under the tractor you can see the inner rails are 5 inches above the running boards. This makes for a very low load at 20 inches off the road.
Dale,
In 35 years of hauling steamers I can recall using a winch only a couple of times. As I said above there are no winch trucks in this country. We load and unload under steam about 30 % of the time, with air about 30 % and with a chain or drawbar about 40 % of the time. Now having said that this is on our trailer where you can't get over the side. On a high slippery trailer one has to use some common sense. We haul about 10 or 12 times a year.
Cheers George.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 01:27:03 AM
Sponsor

Here are the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	277081   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOADING N&S 007.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	277082  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by george hoffman View Post
Here are the photos.
George,

Could be a terminology thing, but I call the first trailer a drop neck or detachable neck, the second one a single drop.

I have loaded under power a few times on a single drop over the end until that one time the engine spun (wooden deck) and skewed off sideways. When everything came to a stop one rear wheel was only on the deck by about 4 inches. Had it gone off the edge the engine would have dropped into a shallow ditch and gone over on it's side. I was younger then, perhaps over cautious now from the event. We each have experiences to go by and give advice based on them.

I would not be as opposed to loading under power on a detach, but if the trailer had a winch would use it. I have seen an engine nearly drop off the side of the deck on a detach when being loaded under power using air.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:21:43 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
George,

Could be a terminology thing, but I call the first trailer a drop neck or detachable neck, the second one a single drop.

I have loaded under power a few times on a single drop over the end until that one time the engine spun (wooden deck) and skewed off sideways. When everything came to a stop one rear wheel was only on the deck by about 4 inches. Had it gone off the edge the engine would have dropped into a shallow ditch and gone over on it's side. I was younger then, perhaps over cautious now from the event. We each have experiences to go by and give advice based on them.

I would not be as opposed to loading under power on a detach, but if the trailer had a winch would use it. I have seen an engine nearly drop off the side of the deck on a detach when being loaded under power using air.
Dale you are correct , it is a matter of terminology and the part of the country your in. Here we refer to a detachable low bed trailer. The other as a step or drop deck or single drop trailer. When speaking of a non detachable low bed we refer to a single or double drop. In all the loadings I have done I havn't really had a scare. Been over the side with an excavator the odd time in the winter on an icy deck. I got hung up with the lowbed on the railroad tracks one time. I managed to get the truck to back up off the rail line then unloaded the machine and walked it over the tracks. It was frozen and when I reloaded I slid strait across the bed into the ditch. We managed to get out of there before the cops showed up. Made quite traffic jam and a mess.
Most of it is common sense and experience. In my old age I still havn't figured out which one comes first.
Cheers. George.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 09:13:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,267 Times in 659 Posts

Last summer I helped Jim Mead put his Frick on a low boy at the end of the Chemung Valley show. It was still under steam, though we had let the pressure drop some since it didn't need much to move.

The engine was wider than the trailer by a few inches on both sides, and the way the trailer was sitting it was still nerve-wracking trying to steer while it climbed on up. Had a good foot of dropoff on either side because the trailer was sitting on a hill.

I would not want to use anything but a winch onto a trailer taller than a detachable or lowboy, because if you mess up over the side you go with your engine on top of you. Even a lowboy is tall enough to make a right mess of things should an accident happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 07:07:39 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

Here is an array of trailer options:

My husband's detach with my Port.
The big Ottomeyer over the pond. That would be a BEAST to haul.
My family's Nelson folding gooseneck with the Reeves coming off.
The Nelson again (my favorite trailer) with my Port again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Port arriving Wellington 06 (3).JPG
Views:	240
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	277396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottomeyer.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	277397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reeves unloading 1983.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	277398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beth heading to NTA with the Port.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	277399  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 11:08:43 PM
Sponsor

Beth, I see the two trailers are different. The red one with the fold down is is the best for steamers. Is it Hydraulic lift or do you have a winch on your truck to pick it up? Your Reeves sure has an overhang. It looks like the trailer is an 8 foot wide. How wide is your Reeves overall? In your area can you haul it full width or do you need a pilot car?
We remove one extension off the Rumely to get down to 11'-4" to avoid having a pilot car. We use a drawbar for some loading and unloading especially at our yard where we have a large forklift to push pull.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:19:56 PM
Sponsor

Here are a couple of shots. The boys are waiting to hook up the draw bar for unloading. The other is attaching the extension prior to unloading. It is easier to do off the ground. As you can see this old girl is just about 8'-6" wide on the front end. And 13'-4" high on this 20 inch high trailer.
Cheers.George.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	277425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	277426  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 03:57:24 AM
Sponsor

Beth this one is for you.
After a show I said to daughter Sandra we will see how good you are loading. It took her 2 tries to get centered in the trailer. She had about 80 pounds of steam on with no fire. In the photo she is saying" how is that dad ? "
She is a Rollag steam school grad.
Cheers George.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	277433  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 10:58:41 AM
Subscriber

Good to see a positive about a University of Rollag graduate. Looks like it was well done.
Darren
The Following User Says Thank You to Darren Gunderson For This Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 01:21:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,247 Times in 361 Posts

This how I (we) chained down the Frick portable and would like I have opinions whether they are good, bad or ugly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	277478  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farquharman For This Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 03:29:38 PM
Sponsor

Looks pretty darned good to me. She is not going any were she shouldn't go. I assume the rear axle is air suspendid so it lifts a bit higher off the road.
I like the dolly wheels.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 10:46:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farquharman View Post
This how I (we) chained down the Frick portable and would like I have opinions whether they are good, bad or ugly.
That's pretty good for fore and aft...but the way it's rigged it doesn't do much for side to side. It will hold it, but you'll be amazed at how much it can move side to side. I was taught to cross over always when possible. Chain the right front wheel to the left side of the bed, left wheel to the right side....that keeps it sitting where you want it. If they're stretched out a bit fore and aft (like you have them now), they'll keep it exactly where it needs to be if something goes wrong. Been there, done that with a heavy load and was sure glad it stayed where I wanted it to.I always make a complete wrap around anything I'm chaining to also, if possible.
JH
Old 03-17-2017, 09:44:00 PM
Sponsor

Talk about spooky, here is one you gota see.
Google- Driving a steam`locomotive up to a truck trailer.
It will blow your mind! It is in Romania.
Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 01:39:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,247 Times in 361 Posts

https://youtu.be/-YY4LUZubyE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farquharman For This Post: