Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Dozers and Crawlers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Dozers and Crawlers Holt, Caterpillar, Cletrac, etc.

Dozers and Crawlers

8UD6 Cat dozer with 318 diesel motor

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 723 times

Old 08-17-2017, 11:20:13 AM
Registered

Default 8UD6 Cat dozer with 318 diesel motor

Gentleman my governor parts all seem to be fee but I am not receiving the power and smoke as it should. Any help on adjustments or what else might be wrong. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 11:39:38 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 8UD6 Cat dozer with 318 diesel motor

New problem, or one which has been building? Filters are the first thing to address. Fuel rail pressure been measured?

Your initial post was far to vague to indicate where to go with troubleshooting.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36:25 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpaws View Post
Gentleman my governor parts all seem to be fee but I am not receiving the power and smoke as it should. Any help on adjustments or what else might be wrong. Thanks
So 8V71 then? Is it a turbo engine? Need more info!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02:33 PM
Registered-II

CAT D318 engine;smooth running( not an ''Angry'' Detroit) !!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to moteurdelco For This Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,786 Posts

Teton:
S l o w down, collect your mind and coherently essplain ..
A. Whacha got
B. What's the issue
C. Whaa izz the problem symptoms as you see it
D. What you think the smart people here can solve for you

*certainly not me.....
Old 08-26-2017, 08:45:26 AM
Registered

It hasn't been running since the 70s. New fuel pump, new filters and pressure is 20-23 at full throttle. I don't seem to fell the added power when going into a push. It powers out quickly. I added cleaners and was using it to push a dig out stumps. 6 hrs of use and still no seems of added power.
Now my clutch has started to slip. No manual now I need help on pulling the dry clutch.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:05:23 PM
Registered-II

If that were my D6 I think I would first check to make sure the shutoff at the bottom of the fuel tank is not only open but flowing properly. In fact what you may want to do is remove the fuel pipe from the tank to the supply pump and make sure you have a gusher. You may also want to verify that all the passages in the filter housing, etc. are clear and flowing. You were on the right track by replacing the fuel filters first, but that alone may not do the trick if you have a restriction somewhere. And while you were at it, did you drain the tank? All sorts of creepy stuff likes to grow in old diesel fuel. If that stuff was in there and you just replaced the filters you may be clogged again.

Could the problem be non-fuel related? Simply because the engine does not smoke does not mean it is not getting ample fuel. That engine should not smoke if it is running right. Is the compression release working properly? Are the valves adjusted properly? I hesitate to suggest a restriction in the air intake, because then it would smoke, and probably a lot.

I'm a bit at a loss to diagnose this because I haven't run one of those old Cats in at least 30 years, and despite all the time I had on them back then the fuel systems were absolutely trouble-free.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness writing but one more thing you may want to try is to crack the lines to each injector one by one as the engine is running. Each cylinder should be contributing an equal amount of power so if you take one offline and it has less effect than the others do then you have another place to look.

As to the clutch, why do you want to remove it? Can't you adjust it a bit tighter? That's a simple over center clutch and should be easy enough to figure out. I can't for the life of me recall if the whole top cover must be removed to get the clutch out. I have a foggy recollection that the older machines had a one piece top, just like the old D4's, and the later ones had a split top that let you remove the clutch with a lot less fuss. That must be an older machine as all of the 9U's I ran had oil clutches.

Good luck with your dozer. Those old Cats will run forever with a bit of tinkering.

BWAH! One more thing. Are you sure you are running number two fuel? If you are running number one or kero the thing won't have any power at all.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:47:01 AM
Registered

Thank you for the post. There is a lot of info there that will keep me busy for a while.