Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Dozers and Crawlers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Dozers and Crawlers Holt, Caterpillar, Cletrac, etc.

Dozers and Crawlers

Cat 10 High Crop desperately needs restored. Need value?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 558 times

Old 08-24-2017, 02:23:52 AM
Registered

Default Cat 10 High Crop desperately needs restored. Need value?

Hey everyone. Need a little help. My family collects all kinds of equipment. My uncle who passed away had the most.
Some 17 years ago he had me tear all the sheet metal off of a high crop Ten. It was in running shape. All sheet metal was put on a pallet outside ( I was against getting rid of tin work but he said he wanted all new tin.) I left for the service and came home a year later to see the dozer outside still no caps on manifold or water neck..

Long story short I've tried to buy this dozer multiple times and it's still sitting outside (17 yrs later). Manifold is now shot. Sheet metal trashed. Brass plack stolen. And worst of all I walked over to the dozer yesterday and drained the engine and no lie about 3 to 5 gallons of water came out of the crankcase.. what's this thing worth at this point?
Undercarriage is really good and tracks look new.

Before I make one last offer on this I need to have some back up and a solid idea of what it's worth. Seen one sell for 5800 with pull behind blade running shape in March..

My family always thinks harder to find tractors are worth crazy money no matter what the shape is. I on the other hand have restored dozers in the past and realize how fast these can become money pits...but letting it sit outside rot away is killing me!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2017, 05:07:43 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,550 Times in 2,412 Posts
Default Re: Cat 10 High Crop desperately needs restored. Need value?

Dozers rarely bring big money unless it's super early/ rare and restored. A pile of rust and minus parts, even if somewhat unusual likely will bring only a little above scrap. Most collectors shy away from dozers as their difficult to move and many shows don't like them tearing up the turf. A few early, decent ones recently were sold at on line auction by a serious company and those that didn't make above scrap went that way! I know I'm upsetting a few folks but that is the reality plain and simple. A lot of good running units were scrapped a few years back as their value as scrap was more than they would bring any where else.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 05:13:43 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,831 Times in 938 Posts

Jesters First off a Cat Hi Ten is a pretty desirable tractor especially for Cat Collectors. There are still a few out there but coming up with a price can be tough. If it is only missing sheet metal it can be exchanged for a regular Ten. All the flat metal can be easily reproduced such as I did on my Rusty 25 project. The engine is the same as a Std. 10. So if all the rest is there and in good shape restoration is a matter of finding the correct parts. A new Manifold is available from Rosewood Machine [very expensive]. Carburetor is another costly problem since they seem to be made of a rare metal "Unobtainum".
I bought my Hi Ten from a collector in Central PA and was happy to pay $5000 for it. From your description I would say $3500 to $5000 would be in the ball park but maybe some one else will chime in with more knowledge on recent values.
That was 15 years ago and I have heard the prices have increased quite a bit although in general values on Old iron have gone soft in recent years. Good luck in saving this tractor they make great show pieces Ed B
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 05:31:33 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,550 Times in 2,412 Posts

I'll add that auction prices depend on a few conditions such as location, difficulty in removing from site and who's there to bid for a few. I attended a farm estate sale in central Mo last spring. most only brought salvage bids. A complete nice looking Diesel 70 or 75 with the Letournal pan went to a collector for around 2000. A early D7 that ran 1700. I got a early D6 with 90% under carriage for a bit less, then resold it to a local collector for a bit more, still waiting for the balance due on that. The Ted Spoleman sale out in Washington had some decent Crawlers but the cost to ship here kept bids very low, still kicking myself over the Bates 35, It didn't bring local scrap price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post: