Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Looking for a Small Mechanical Injector

this thread has 56 replies and has been viewed 1991 times

Old 01-22-2018, 06:54:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,232 Times in 2,810 Posts
Default Looking for a Small Mechanical Injector

I apologize for being not quite on topic but need to pick some brains out there.

I'm designing a small (prox 3 c.i.) true Diesel engine. So far, I've come up with a pump but, since I've got to fit the injector between the valves in a 1.125” bore, I'm well over my head in the smallness I can machine and, unless I can come up with something, I will have to go with an existing part.

My question is......can someone recommend a ready-made mechanical injector for a small Diesel engine like a Lombardi, Yanmar, etc?

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10:16 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Looking for a small mechanical injector

If all you need is a small injector nozzle, the infamous Olds 350 diesel used a simple one no bigger than a spark plug. Might be worth a look if you haven't already.
PT
Old 01-22-2018, 11:02:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,611 Posts

You might look at Petters and Ruggerini too, but even their smallest engines were larger than 3 cu/in, so not sure how you would cut the delivery.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42:54 PM
Registered-II

What were the smallest diameter tip of the Roosa-Master "pencil" injector which I think the early OLds engine used or the ones used in the 3208 Cat? And actually the entire nozzle tip doesn't have to protrude into the combustion chamber and then there's the possible use of a pre-combustion chamber with small opening into the main.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:15:40 AM
Subscriber

Hi Elden,
As mentioned the roosa master Pencil injectors are the smallest? with a body ~3/8" od. but length is still a bit over 4" if you can make that work. There are cheap after market ones on ebay, I look forward to seeing the new model!.
Nathan.
Note, they seal in a reamed hole with a teflon band on the shaft and are held in with an offset 5/16" bolt/stacked spring clamp(some models come with springs) so are easy to mount.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan K. For This Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 06:43:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,232 Times in 2,810 Posts

It's been a long time since I saw an Olds 350 injector and forgot how small they are. They are a good possibility, although with their length, they would look a bit odd. Also, since they are for a much larger displacement, it could be hard to get them to spray at such low deliveries.

Would anyone have part numbers for the small engine injectors? My search has found a couple but, since there were no mfg. part numbers, searching places like Ebay and Alibaba is useless.

Thanks for the help!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 01-23-2018, 10:04:08 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Looking for a Small Mechanical Injector

Eldon, the injectors I referenced are the later style, not the long pencil style. There are some on ebay now if you want to see what they look like.
Item number:
Old 01-23-2018, 11:54:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,430 Posts

The Yanmar & Kubota injectors are huge things for the size of the engines...big ol' precup injectors.
Somewhere I have seen a variety of the Roosie pencils that was not as long as the JD's, maybe 2-21/2", but I can't think what application they were for.
I really don't know of any injector smaller than the poppet style GM 350 ones.
This will be an interesting project, I have done some research on model Diesels, & there's a point where the relative surface area of the combustion chamber causes too much heat loss in compression, & you can't get enough heat to ignite fuel...
But, if anyone can do it, you can!
Smokstak member #442
Old 01-23-2018, 03:30:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,018 Times in 535 Posts

I have a three cylinder Cat diesel in my side by side and each cylinder is 14.4 cu in, I thought that is a small engine. PFT has heard it run, the injectors are large about the size of spark plugs. Ronm is correct that you will have trouble building enough heat by compression to ignite the fuel, a hot tube may help with that, not a glow plug.

Elden, I could send you an old pencil injector that isn't any good to see if you could shorten it and make it work.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:00:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,611 Posts

What are you going to do for a pump? I have 1 nos injector pump from a generac diesel (not sure actual engine mfr), it is a standard cam driven pump, not sure if it would be too large dimensionaly for such a small motor, but if you want it, and it is where I think it is, I'd be happy to send it to you.