Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Hurricane Michael has forced me to part with my stuff.

this thread has 103 replies and has been viewed 15154 times

Old 10-27-2018, 06:59:56 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Default Hurricane Michael has forced me to part with my stuff.

Gang:

It is with regret that, due to having my home and shop trashed by hurricane Miichael and needing open heart surgery soon; I will have to dispose of all my shop equipment and the engines I have built over the past decade or more. I have to do this because my health presently does not allow me to expend the effort to store them, even if I could find storage space at this time.

The list includes ten of my homebrew designed and built engines and The Algore Edition Green Hybrid Hoyt-Clagwell tractor.

ENGINES: The engine on the above tractor, The Mystery Engine, The One Valve Engine, The Scotch Yoke Engine, The Compressor Engine, The Non McVickerish Engine. The Lenoiresque Engine, The Non-Rotary Valve Engine and The 30-60 Engine.

I'm keeping The Homebrew Engine and The Upside-Down Engine.

All engines and the Algore tractor will be supplied with all drawings, extra parts, shop notes, etc.

Note: All but three of these engines have been partially submerged in salt water and have been triaged by washing off with fresh water and draining crankcases where applicable. Cylinders have been drenched with oil and outside metal painted with oil. None of the engines are stuck and all of them (except the Lenoiresque, a non-compression engine) show compression and, except for the inevitable surface rust, should be easily rehabilitated.

OKAY, HERE'S THE DEAL:
At a future date (soon, on a weekend), I will announce the date and time of the sale. There is room for, maybe twenty or so pickup trucks to park in the vacant lot adjacent to what's left of our home and some street parking.

The sale will be in the Mexico Beach area of Florida.

I will ask for volunteers to pull the engines out and they will be sold by bidding, cash only, one at a time.

There will be no reserve on anything with one exception - the 1897 Fairbanks Morse Jack of all trades engine will have a very reasonable reserve.

It's all gotta go. Machinery, materials, jacks, parts, air compressor, shelving, etc. if it doesn't sell, I will give away the rest. What's left will have to be bulldozed and hauled off.

If interested, you can see all of the engines and the tractor at my website.
http://www.eldensengines.com

There is also some electronic equipment including a Tektronix digital storage scope, function generator, Fluke frequency counter, power supplies, a wealth of resistors, capacitors, transistors, transformers, meters, some audio gear and other electronics I've collected and used in my circuit design business and hobby.

It's all got to go and I'd really prefer to have it go to folks who will appreciate them.

Questions? Email me at
elden(at)eldensengines.com
or post them here.

More later.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2018, 07:31:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,941 Posts
Default Re: Michael has forced me to part with my stuff.

Sorry to hear about this Elden, your toy collection was very impressive. I would love to make the sale, but I just moved my shop to Nv, so I'm short of disposable $. Part of moving involved some major organization, for the first time in years my toys are all in one room, half of main floor of building, and it made me realize I have too many toys and no time to play with them
Old 10-27-2018, 07:31:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,296 Times in 651 Posts

I'm so sorry Elden. We'll be praying for this situation. So sorry.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:50:21 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 2,883 Times in 633 Posts

Elden, sorry for your loss of home, shop etc. I have a 12' enclosed trailer i am willing to tow from Texas and leave it there for storage if you wish. It can stay as long as needed. Let me know if this will work and i can leave at a moments notice, gene fisher

Last edited by Gene Fisher; 10-28-2018 at 08:36:04 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Gene Fisher For This Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 07:59:16 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,761 Times in 244 Posts

My heart goes out to you Elden. Such bad things shouldn't happen to such good people!!! Good luck with the auction and the surgery. Bill Klein
Old 10-27-2018, 11:37:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,957 Times in 1,745 Posts

Elden, Best wishes. It sure sucks getting old. I know how you feel. I am in same position- can't do anything, lots of pain. I have to go in for spine surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 11:53:39 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,146 Times in 3,943 Posts
Default Re: Hurricane Michael has forced me to part with my stuff.

Elden,

Like the others, I am so sorry to learn that you are selling your collection. I'm certain there are multiple folks that will assist you.

Take care of yourself and know that many are waiting to help you.

Beth
Old 10-28-2018, 12:09:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,140 Times in 1,577 Posts

Sad to hear this Elden. When you lived in KY you never had to worry about a hurricane.....but those tornadoes could sure get you!

We're thinking of you and I hope everything works out well for you. Wished I lived closer and we could put everything in a barn or storage on my place. God bless you. Hang in there.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:05:29 AM
Subscriber

Good luck with the sale and your health.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:18:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,136 Times in 627 Posts

Very sorry to hear this. I hope you have a speedy recovery, houses and shops are replaceable.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 07:14:31 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

Thank you, everybody for your thoughts! I am humbled by your concern.

Gene: i thought of buying a bigger trailer and doing what you suggest but asking my neighbor who owns the adjoining lot to park my stuff on his lot for up to 2 years would be too much.

I can rebuild my shop on a smaller scale this time. I'd been thinking about it and knew that I had to scale down due to entering Late Geezerhood and the good thing(??) is that Mother Nature has pushed the timetable a bit.

I thought I had my Jet 9 X 19 lathe and Gtizzly mill (with tooling, etc) sold but that fell through so they are also in the sale, no reserve. Be cautioned the mill weighs around 750 lbs. and everything must be moved by the next day.

I will be keeping the HVID and The Upside Down Engine as well as The Mighty Hoyt Clagwell. I will be able to store the engines, my hand tools and the Model T coil tester in my cycle trailer which I can move around with The Mighty Hoyt Clagwell. The tractor can reside under a tarp after the house is either under reconstruction or torn down.

Note that the trailer with The Mighty Hoyt Clagwell tractor loose inside was picked up by the wind and thrown a couple hundred feet, landing on it's side. With the help of a neighbor's fork lift and winch, it was carefully righted. After rolling the tractor out of the trailer and refilling the crankcase and hopper, it started right off and moved the trailer back to our driveway. The only damage was a squished (repairable) ahh-oo-gah horn.

I'm hoping to have the sale next weekend so I will be clear for the "valve job" (otherwise known as the "chainsaw massacre) as soon as it can be scheduled and have that out of the way so DW doesn't have to call the scrapper to haul it all off.

Thank you, Harry, for allowing me to pose this great imposition on you and the Stakkers with this -sort of- huge advertisement here. I hope my “stuff” will help some of my friends here.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 08:46:52 AM
Subscriber

So sorry to hear about your demise Elden ! My wife wants to relocate to a place with a warmer winter climate, but I have been resisting as I have a shop with a lifelong collection of tools and engines that I am too old to take with me. And the way the weather has been lately, although the cost of living here is higher, I'd rather stay right here in RI and avoid all the hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and wildfires. I can handle 3 or 4 snowstorms a year with no problem. Good luck with your surgery.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:02:09 AM
Registered-II

I feel sorry for what happened to you Elden, you really are a true engineer, of the truest sense, able to build an entire engine from absolute scratch! Hearing what happened to you, brought tears to my eyes,
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to turtmaster For This Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 10:42:21 AM
Subscriber

It is a shame I'm so far away, I'd love to come. Really sorry for your damage, I hope everything works out and you come thru the surgery ok.
6.0 DJE X 1
Old 10-28-2018, 12:24:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,004 Times in 1,605 Posts

Sorry to hear that, Elden. About 10 years ago, my next-door neighbor sold his place, horse, mule, RV & all & moved into a small house in town. Said it was too much for him to take care of. I ran into him a couple years later & he said "I wish I hadn't sold that place. I had heart surgery & I feel better than I have for years. I thought I was done for when I sold. "
Granted, his place wasn't devastated by a hurricane, but he regretted the decision to sell out. If there's any way at all you could put your stuff in storage until you get fixed up, you might feel like a new man & jump right back into it...At least the lathe & mill, so you could start another whole batch of projects?
Smokstak member #442
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 01:20:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,566 Posts

Elden sorry to learn of your health problems due to our health and so on we have found a place that is more suitable for myself and my wife so sad as we grow older that what we used to do and can do today is not much of a trade off i have down sized a lot and still i know i will not have room for a lot of things .So many folks has lost everything they own due to that storm we pray and wish you the best on your recovery and hope things work out for you and family if we do not have decent health then things we used to do and worldly things seems not to matter any more our Love and Prayers God Bless
Old 10-28-2018, 01:30:44 PM
Registered-I

Best wishes to you Elden and a speedy recovery. I'm stuck at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa until Dec.18th so I doubt I'll be able to get up there.
I restore antique radio's and your inventory sounds interesting! Very sad to hear about your loss due to the storm - keep the faith!!
Old 10-28-2018, 03:29:46 PM

Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,076 Posts

Elden, I am really sorry to hear of your present situation.
You should know that over the years, I have had great joy reading your posts and seeing all of your projects.
Your creativity is off the charts. You are one of a kind and I mean it in the very best way.
I wish I were closer by.

Gil
Old 10-28-2018, 04:50:40 PM
Registered-I

Hi Elden
I have read lots of your posts and have been totally blown away by your talents and drive. May god bless you and your family and may he guide your doctors to make sure you get through the surgery with flying colors!
I am so terribly sorry to know you are going through this.

If I had a way to get to Florida to give some of your things a home I would.
All the best my friend!!

-Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to EICBob For This Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 04:52:00 PM
Subscriber

Hi Elden,

Sorry for your misfortune, I too have often visited your website to look at your creations!
Best wishes and good luck with the surgery.

John