Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Galloway Farmobile

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 9767 times

Old 02-20-2011, 03:37:31 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Galloway Farmobile

Hi all

What engine was used in these tractors? In what other tractors were they?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,145 Posts

One was sold at Martin's auction near Independence Iowa in about 1977 (Hilpipre). I believe that Oscar Cook bought it. There was a Townsend, Gray and 2 Huber cross motors there too.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50:44 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AultmanTaylor View Post
What engine was used in these tractors? In what other tractors were they?
Here's what I've discovered in my research (I'll try to keep it short)
The very first Farmobiles were sold with the Beaver overhead valve engines and then later Galloway sold them with an unidentified flat head engine of which 3 tractors have survived.
Sometime around ser. #400 Galloway started selling the tractor with the model HD Dart flat head engine made in Waterloo, 7 Farmobiles have survived with these engines. I have found no other tractors with these engines however some were installed in Dart trucks.
One other tractor has a Continental model J4 and another the Buda. The tractor with the Buda is in the Reynolds museum and the Farmobile with the J4 was sold by Aumann in 2009. I suspect that the later 2 were replacement engines... the tractor seemed to have some cooling problems due to faulty radiator castings.
The Farmobile ceased production around 1918/19. Around 800/900 units were manufactured.
Galloway as early as 1916 started work on his new worm drive tractor called the Bear Cat, production didn't start until around 1918. This tractor was sold with the same Dart engine as the later Farmobile. The Bear Cat is the tractor that Galloway went bankrupt on due to orders received by the English Gov. through Henry Garner LTD before Wars end for 1080 units and not delivered. I suspect that Galloway got in over his head due to cost in converting/retooling his earlier purchased Maytag auto factory to build the new tractor. Also, according to 1918 Automotive Industries "Galloway was able to deliver only very few machines to Garner owing to inability to get needed machine tools and other equipment due to war effort". This is the same tractor as the English Garner just re-badged and the New York's Maxum which was nothing more then an outlet for the same Galloway Bear Cat tractor.
12 Farmobiles and 5 Bear Cat/Garners have survived.

Wally
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57:03 PM
Registered-II

desertexplorer, thanks a lot for the information on the tractor.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03:52 AM
Subscriber

No problem Rumely Fan, the Galloway history is pretty fascinating. Galloway was a marketing genius. He had large factories manufacturing numerous farm equipment but the majority of the merchandise in his colorful catalogs were made by other companies. His slogan was "Cut out the middle man and buy direct from me" but if you ever thumb through his catalogs you find out pretty quick that he WAS the middle man. Seems he was pretty good at marketing other companies products as his own or buying out and/or re-badging a lot of equipment.
He bought out the Davis Engine Co. to became a line of Galloway engines.
Around 1907 he persuaded Dart to move their whole operation from Anderson, Indiana to Waterloo to build their "Dart high-wheeler". Galloway later re-badged these Dart high-wheelers only to sell them in his catalog as the "Galloway Auto-Transport".
His earlier high-wheelers were nothing more then re-badged Maytag model 10's that Galloway called the "Farm Runabout".
He later bought out the Maytag factory and started selling another model Maytag auto as the "Galloway model 25" (Maytag discontinued the car due to an axle bearing problem on this new model car. It was no fault of Maytag but a problem with a large order of more then 1000 faulty rear axles and bearings that the American Ball-Bearing company refused to stand behind. The recalls of the auto and retooling of the axles cost Maytag a lot of money. They quit the automobile business and moved the operation to Newton, IA to build their large line of washing machines).
Even the Farmobile tractor was originally called the "M & K Farm-Auto". It was built by the "Corn Belt Motor Company" in Waterloo in 1915. Later that year it was acquired by Galloway.

Wally

Last edited by DesertExplorer; 02-24-2011 at 12:58:44 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DesertExplorer For This Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 04:11:15 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,606 Times in 715 Posts

There is a Galloway Farmobile in France, but I don't know if it is an original import or came over more recently?

David
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43:15 AM
Subscriber

David,
I came across a photo of the France Farmobile awhile back from a France tractor web site.
Of the 12 Farmobiles I know of, the France Galloway is the only one with the gas tank mounted behind the iron radiator. The gas tank brackets are identical to other Farmobiles except that the cast bracket is turned 90 degrees so it can mount to the side of the frame instead of the front. Still have no idea why Galloway did this. It also has the later Dart engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galloway Farmobile in France side view.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	101176  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DesertExplorer For This Post:
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,404 Times in 1,090 Posts

There is one just across the river from me in Pasco, Washington
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52:55 PM
Subscriber

The Farmobile in Pasco is one of the 7 tractors with the Dart engine. Also, it's the only Farmobile with a cast fan bracket mounted to the fan shroud on the radiator with the fan belt pulley mounting directly to the cast bracket instead of to the transmission housing like the other surviving Farmobiles. The Pasco tractor has a very professional restoration... a real nice tractor.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03:07 PM
Registered-I

Is'nt there another Galloway Tractor located in the Waterloo area?