Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Cleaning the Garage.........FrUsTrAtIoN!!! 2004

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 5045 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 12:56:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts
Angry Cleaning the Garage.........FrUsTrAtIoN!!! 2004

Last year I made a commitment to myself to clean out my garage of many items that I had that were not complete or that other people might need. For example, I might have a magneto that is for an engine that I have had for years; I have not found an engine to fit it, so I thought that I would send the item on its way to the person that has the engine and needs it. So far it has been pretty good, I have sold about a dozen items or so on ebay trying to make room in my garage, and letting the people get the items that they need.

The purpose of this exercise was that I am frustrated with all the clutter in my garage that keeps me from working on my engine projects. It was so bad that I couldn't buy another engine even if I wanted it because I had no place to put it unless I put it in the house or left it in the bed of my truck coved up. In the area where I live in Florida, code enforcement is really tough and that means that everything has to go in the garage or I have to build another garage. Last year I made the commitment to myself to have the garage cleaned out of these items to the point where I could park one car in the garage by January 1, 2005 so that I would at least have enough room to work even if there really is not a car parked in the garage. Unfortunately I have to say that it appears as though I am going to not make my deadline date. I had it almost cleared out completely in one bay and then I had to move stuff in the garage from the house while we fix up one room that had hurricane damage. I am going to make one last ditch effort to try and keep my promise to myself and list a bunch of stuff on ebay and Harry's page this week. I hope that you folks will help out and make this stuff find a new home because the level of frustration that I have created for myself is my own fault, but I want to make a change and get the garage back into a shop that I can do what I like to do which is restore engines until I can afford to build another building to store the finished projects. I hope that you will find something that you can use and let it be a part of your collection now, because I want to get back to work on engines.

Thank you,

Jeff Smith
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2004, 02:57:29 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,936 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning the Garage.........FrUsTrAtIoN!!! 2004

I know what ya mean, my garage is way to full to do anything too I've been doing same as you the last few weeks by putting engine parts on Ebay to make some room but by only selling the small parts it doesn't seem to make more room though and I really don't want to start selling big items on there because of the trouble of shipping. Guess I'll just keep squezing them in

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 12-20-2004, 03:05:55 PM
Registered-I

Not only do I know what you mean, I have two under a cover on my pickup. Good grief...I need to join in with you here.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:17:30 PM
Subscriber

Oh boy you guys should see my garage. We built it last year and it is packed. Our Bessmer and ohh 20 other engines are in there and my truck and 2 tractors plus a 2 post car lift and all of our tools. But there is good news I got a space cleared out last night because the roads were too icy for my friend to go home so we put his truck in the garage and he stayed here at my place. But he's gone now and I new have a clear spot the size of a ext cab s10. So Tom if you need to store engines I'm close to ya bring em over here. A famous would look real nice settin in there

Chase 16yrs old and still love old engines and my truck.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:29:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

Jeff: I was doing just that today. Too cold, at least 15 degrees outside with the wind a blowing. Rearranged and threw out some 20 year + old stuff I was saving for .. something I forgot about long ago, that I'll need next week . Gave the wife about 2/3 more of a shelf for storing stuff from her spending spree and boxed up some 20 buzz coils (not the "T" type) that were just around, here and there in the garage. Phewwwww. Trouble is, the brown truck showed up with more "STUFF" and I'm trying to make some work space room. It seems the more space one has, the stuff to put in it somehow expands beyond the space. Duh.... I wonder what causes that .
Old 12-21-2004, 05:30:32 AM
Registered-III

Yeeesssss we know how that is. but count your blessing and listen how mad or bad we are!!!!
By now our two boys are 17 and 18 years old.
Adrie and I have been collecting from the day we maried. Mostly stationary engines and books and folders about them.
Then the boys started collecting models from 2nd hand sales and steam toys then started to collect the WW2 things and together with their dad mopeds. + Adrie now collects old radio's - We can't resist all kind of old technical things and the toys have to stay and I'm the mother and I am as mad as all of us are.
So for me my house cleaning is like packing a suitcase.
We throw things away if we must but.....................................we are addicts of technics and that is a serious disease.
We have a whale of a time though together.
In October for instance we had 60 collectors of our club, who were touring around, here to look at our engines that we had all put in our garden and we played with the engines a whole day!!!!!!! (they only stayed an hour) If we weren't collecting they wouldn't have come.
Two weeks later a coach with American veterans of the 104th infantry division with their family (55 people) visited our boys "museum" and we had a great time................They are so glad to be remembered and here remembering is very important, 60 years after our media gives it a lot of attention and so do the people here...........
So although it's a lot of bother and a lot of work, I enjoy our collecting disease every day..... (Except maybe when I need to do the spring cleaning and I have to move everything around to clean it.)
Old 12-21-2004, 05:34:22 AM
Registered-II

You guys could have it worse this past year I was forced into a mandatory shop cleanup, I had to toss many many valuable things into the trash as they had all been under water and ruined beyond reapir. I am still coming across things I had forgotten about or I have missed in my efforts to clean the place up. I had forgotten about a large stash of Cedar lumber that I had stored in one of the buildings and by the time I remebered it the entire stack is probably ruined it had not all been under water but in my neglect the dry part wicked off all the water from the soaked part, this pile along with walnut, Oak ,and some poplar were all several feet under water and floating around. But one good thing engines don't float so at least they where were I left them when the water went down
Old 12-21-2004, 05:45:20 AM
Registered-III

Wow Joe, that seems so difficult.
And your engines, was there much damage to them????
Old 12-21-2004, 10:15:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

In preparing to sell our house of 30-something years in KY, I had to clean the garages - 5-stalls plus a shop area.

Now I know whatcha gotta do. Just close your eyes and start throwing stuff out! I did save a few items to take to the local engine club's annual swap meet (gave most of 'em away!).

After I'd worn out the garbage men with max pickups for several weeks, I hired a guy with a big pickup and helped him take the rest. He wasn't very happy that I helped because I PACKED his truck.......Hey!..He said that it was so much for a load and I didn't put but ONE load on his truck!

It would have been a lot easier if I'd just pulled out the few items I couldn't live without and called the Jettison Brothers Garage Cleaning Service.

NOW, I'm starting to 'buy back' some of the items I threw away last summer. At least I didn't have to haul them down here and find a place to store 'em before probably throwing them out after 20 more years.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 12-21-2004, 10:26:33 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts

Welcome to the hobby, and the club - I have a stuffed basement, and a 4 car garage I can't get a car into (the wife lost her spot 2 years ago!). Oh yeah, the trailer is loaded, and now my kids found me a railroad baggage cart to mount an engine on, and it is loaded with 4 water pumps and a marine engine! (I can't seem to be able to get the engine out of the garage!)
Andrew
Old 12-21-2004, 11:20:12 AM
Registered-III

My 16' x 24' garage/shop was so full I would bark my shins on engines, pumps and carts. After selling a few treasured items I can now get around the shop without injury. Organizing how I store the engines helped too. After rebuilding a heavy duty shelving system I was able to get the smaller engines off the floor. Limited space and concerns for safety help me keep this hobby under control. The 6 hp hoisting engine has to stay outside under a tarp, it is the first one I start in the spring to get the engine season going. One problem area does contine however, the 12' workbench attracts ongoing projects and I frequently wind up with limited available space. Hmmmm, the clutter battle continues just on a smaller scale.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:04:18 PM
Registered-II

Talking Re: Cleaning the Garage.........FrUsTrAtIoN!!! 2004

Guys, i solved a lot of my space problem by going up the walls. I bought some pallet racks at an auction and an old TOWMOTOR fork lift and now I put the engines on pallets and get them up off the floor. Joe in central Texas
Old 12-22-2004, 08:13:22 AM
BobWI

Must be rough guy's, I got a 30x40 that still has lots of room just like my wallet
Old 12-22-2004, 12:06:44 PM
Subscriber

Question Re: Cleaning the Garage.........FrUsTrAtIoN!!! 2004

I guess I get it from my father, he has engines on custom built shelves and he has them stacked all the way to the bottom of the trusses in his building. He has an overhead crane to lift them into their spot. The attic of the building is full of stuff and so is the basement of his house and that attic also. Makes me wonder if it is more of a sickness than a collection???

Jeff Smith
Old 12-23-2004, 05:28:43 AM
Subscriber

Sounds like y'all need to buy some 20 or 40 foot containers and pack the goodies in... Go for the 20's: you can put them on the back of a flatdeck wrecker when it's time to move- assuming they're not too heavy after you fill them Waterproof, secure and moveable, what more can you want? Just wish I had a place to put one...
Old 12-23-2004, 06:08:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

A few years ago I was talking with an acquantence of mine at an engine show, and said I should get a a small forklift to move those engines around. Awhile later he comes around and offers me a Pettibone GS-30 real reasonable, and it works OK. The next weekend I was at his forklift repair garage and loaded it on the trailer. It's a side shifter and worked fine. Then one day the hydraulics quit , and I got that fixed. Sure is a handy item to have around especially when the 16 wheeler stops out front with a load and the driver asks how are you going to unload? You should see their expressions when I come around from out back with the GS-30. Every home owner should not be without one. Sure is useful loading and rearranging stuff on 60 linear feet of used pallet racking from Diversified Racking here in NJ. Taking my last "BREAK" on 3rd. shift in Pa. for 2004 . MERRY CHRISTMAS
Attached Thumbnails
pettibone.jpg  
Old 01-01-2005, 01:19:31 AM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: Cleaning the Garage.........FrUsTrAtIoN!!! 2004.....2005 maybe???

Well, I took most of the week off and my wife and I cleaned the house and I cleaned the garage. I think we made two trips to goodwill and about 14 trash bags (about 10 of them from Christmas) went to the curb this morning. I heard the garbage truck actually come to a full stop in front of the house today. I gave it one heck of a shot the last two days, and the best I could do was get it to where I can drive a car in.............but if I want to get out of the car I have to back out and get out in the driveway. Looks like I need to break down and start pondering plans for a new building of some type. I finished up out there a little before midnight (new year’s eve) and if I had time to hang our bikes from the ceiling, I think I could have made it where I could actually park a car in there. The good news is that I have room to work on projects now and I have a few started that I hope to finish real soon.

Jeff Smith
Old 01-01-2005, 09:02:46 PM
Defective Email Address

i got a good laugh reading this. my 30 by 30 garage is over flowing but still at least once a week i see something else i cant live without!! every year at spring i do a big clean out which usually means stacking stuff up higher in the corners and only getting rid of 1 or 2 things which i bring to the scrap yard and when i return the truck always has something else i found. its a visious cycle i tell ya!! bernie.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:31:33 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Niemeyer
and only getting rid of 1 or 2 things which i bring to the scrap yard and when i return the truck always has something else i found. its a visious cycle i tell ya!! bernie.
I have the same problem. We have a free dump day twice a year in town here. I will haul a bunch of stuff and old appliances down and end up bringing back the wheels off a riding mower or motor off a tiller. Got a garage 24 x 36 hasn't had a car in it for 2 years. We traded cars and the wife wants it inside, can't blame her. I worked over a weekend throwing away stuff (some good) and then came Christmas. Almost everything I got for Christmas goes in the garage and then there are all the decorations to come down and go where?, yeah, to the garage. Some of the kids have borrowed woodworking tools, like table saw, routers, etc. etc. If they bring them back I have no room. I also have a Ham Radio hobby that seems to have the attic of the garage full of excess radio projects. Every time I clean out the Ham Shack in the house there is another box full of stuff to go where?, yeah, the garage. Oh when I retire I will have all this stuff to keep me busy.
Steve in Nebraska
Old 01-02-2005, 03:48:10 PM
Registered-III

Hi Steve, when you retire you'l need 2 more sheds for the stuff you buy this year to keep you bussy next year, it never stops
Closed Thread