Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

I"m So Bored

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2955 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 01:00:00 AM
Subscriber

Unhappy I"m So Bored

Oh my I need something to do. I got engines to work on but just dont have the get up and go to do it. I've been workin on my truck. The evil thing! do one thing to it, I need to do something else to it to make the first thing I did to it work better. GRRR GIVE ME A ENGINE TO WORK ON! I need to got to my friends place and play witha Olds or 2 to get in the mood. You guys ever have this problem, get side tracted by something else them miss how it used to be.

Chase 16yrs old and still love old engines
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2004, 01:41:09 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Default Re: I"m So Bored

You're a little young to be suffering from BURNOUT but that's what it sounds like!!! It happens to everyone if you spend too much time at one thing. Wanna know I do???? Walk away from it for a while. Do ANYTHING except what burned you out!!! I'm on one of those projects right now--if I think about the thing in it's entirety I lose every ounce of ambition~~~~~~~~
Old 12-31-2004, 08:47:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

Chase & Craig: I have the same problem from time to time, but like Craig said, I just push stuff over on the bench and make room for something else to work on for awhile. Only problem is, stuff is falling off the end of the bench , and don't have much room in the shop at home. Some time next year I'll have the bigger shop set up at Billy's place and probably have the same problem , just on a bigger scale . OH WELL.... Have a SAFE Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:55:08 AM
Chris Curtis

I WISH I could be bored! Last week my truck engine decided to spit all its anti freeze out the exhaust pipe, effectively killing it, the next day a major ice storm brought a tree down damaging my brand new siding and leaving me with no power for three days which resulted in a flooded basement. Now I have a bad cold and a similer attitude! Screw NewYears! I am going strap myself to the lazy boy, sleep through new years and hope nothing else goes wrong. Oh well! Tommorrow is yet another day! P.S.- sorry about the rant.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:22:35 PM
Registered

I've had those days in the past when I couldn't hit the ground with my hat. I have so many different projects on the bench that they've spilled off on the floor and almost out the door. I don't know which is worse. Wanting to get those things done but its too cold, or being in the mood to do it but my wife would rather me spend the time with her.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:58:31 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curtis
I WISH I could be bored! Last week my truck engine decided to spit all its anti freeze out the exhaust pipe, effectively killing it, the next day a major ice storm brought a tree down damaging my brand new siding and leaving me with no power for three days which resulted in a flooded basement. Now I have a bad cold and a similer attitude! Screw NewYears! I am going strap myself to the lazy boy, sleep through new years and hope nothing else goes wrong. Oh well! Tommorrow is yet another day! P.S.- sorry about the rant.
It seems that BAD things happen in THREES, so the UP side is-----you should be in the clear for a while now!!!!
Oh..............EVERYONE needs to do the rant thing once in a while----takes the pressure off........................
Better HERE than at home..............................
Old 12-31-2004, 06:47:02 PM
Registered-I

Red face Re: I"m So Bored

Remember my 8hp Tecumseh woes? Well I decided to forget about that project and get to the Arctic Cat snowmobile that won't start in the garage. I got it to fire, but it wouldn't run. I kept checking the plugs and they were gas fouled. I opened up the engine and found it flooded. I took the heads off and poured fuel out of the exhaust. Two days past and then I put it back together, thinking the fuel would have evaporated. With the carbs off the machine, it fired up and ran for a minute! It quit on its own, so I decided to put the Mikunis back their mounts. It fired up again, and it responded to throttle! Wait a minute, how come there was so much air in the fuel lines and no gas going to the engine?
I pulled out the plugs again and they were still saturated with gas!!! I pulled over the motor and found no spark! Well I'm learning here! I left for lunch and went back to it. I pulled over the motor with the plugs out and found that the plugs quit firing after about 3 revolutions. Ah-ha CDI failure! No wonder it was flooded. The guy that owned it flooded the snow scow (just like I did) when the CDI worked intermittently!

It took this to get me to thinking about the other project in the basement. In a matter of minutes, it was solved. It was just that I had to find other aggrevation, to discover that I was a fool about the minor aggravation that I experienced days ago. Hobbies are funny like that! Meanwhile, my wife has taken the sofa apart to find out why springs are sticking out of it! If I could get her to learn recoil springs, I'd be set!
Old 12-31-2004, 07:39:25 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Angry Re: I"m So Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedmarine
Remember my 8hp Tecumseh woes? Well I decided to forget about that project and get to the Arctic Cat snowmobile that won't start in the garage.
Like your way of saying "won't start in the garage". Two years ago, George brought one into the garage to work on it. He brought it in on a dolly and proceeded to lift the back onto a stand. Done this many times, right! It proceeded to start, the track kicked the dolly back against the stand, which proceeded to upset and out thru the garage door, which was closed, it went! I asked him why he did this with the garage door closed and he said it wasn't supposed to start. I then asked him why we was pulling it!!! Fiberglas garage doors are hard to find, especially when you need to match them to other existing doors. Just can't seem to find time to snowmobile since getting involved in engines!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:40:44 PM
Defective Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in IA
I've had those days in the past when I couldn't hit the ground with my hat. I have so many different projects on the bench that they've spilled off on the floor and almost out the door. I don't know which is worse. Wanting to get those things done but its too cold, or being in the mood to do it but my wife would rather me spend the time with her.
yep thats me to the T i have stuff ripped apart all over the garage. wife kids house ect... im on break from the projects for now but in feb i have a vacation and its time for an early spring cleaning and hopefully it sets the mood to get this straightend out. bernie.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:32:09 AM
Subscriber

Well I see I'm not alone. Yea I just get hot and cold on things. I'll work on my truck then one day soon I hope I'll snap and go back to engines. To bad I had to watch a show today were they put a air bag air lift on a new dodge ram. So now I want to see if I can draw something up that'll work on my truck. I like a challange. I need to make my own engine that'll keep me busy for awile.

Chase 16yrs old and still love old engines.
Closed Thread