Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Are we losing "Sundays" at shows?

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 3573 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 10:39:02 PM
Subscriber

Default Are we losing "Sundays" at shows?

I was wondering if anyone had see this in their area too. Here around Kansas City, it seems that the shows (within 100 or so miles) have little to no Sunday attendance.....everyone leaves Saturday nite. I went to Fort Scott this past year, for example, and we took the kids, RV, and a couple engines. When taking the RV, we usually expect to spend the entire weekend.....and we did...but it got really lonely on Sunday!! There were maybe 5 or 6 people displaying engines there on Sunday, and I have seen this at quite a few shows.
I also went to Greenridge (near Irwin IA). I used to attend this show as a boy every year (I grew up 20 odd miles from there). Come Saturday nite, everyone was packing up to leave also.....but most were coming back Sunday AM, and Sunday was as big a day as Saturday with a large attendance. This was REFRESHING to say the least. I hated to leave Sunday afternoon, but had a 4hr trip back home so had too. I understand that some people want to get an early start on the coming week, and also some people have a long drive to get home, but I feel that its sad that exhibitors aren't sticking around to give the people something to see on the entire weekend.
I just wondered if it was this way anywhere else too.

David In KCK
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2004, 11:53:43 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Are we loosing "Sundays" at shows?

Our club does not have a show on Sunday. Just Friday and Saturday. A lot of clubs don't have them on Sunday because it is the Lord's day.

Last edited by Mike in NC; 01-04-2005 at 10:33:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:11:36 AM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,935 Times in 516 Posts
Unhappy Re: Are we loosing "Sundays" at shows?

Don't think there are many shows that people stick around for Sunday anymore. Even at Portland alot of people leave early on Saturday and Coolsprings is another big show that everyone leaves early. Everybody likes to get there early and leave early.

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 01-01-2005, 12:15:37 AM
Subscriber

Rough & Tumble (Kinzer's) doesn't have a show on a Sunday, but a lot of people leave Friday after noon and early on Saturday. Even before this past reunion.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:44:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

I remember back in the late 60's and 70's and early 80's Sunday was always the Big Day at shows near here. I believe many people had to work Saturdays at least untill noon. Now it seems like Saturday is the Big Day. Some shows run Friday and even have decent attendance then. I think now some Exibitors travel farther and if I have over 100 miles to go I like to leave around noon on Sunday...
Old 01-01-2005, 01:21:43 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Our exhibitors stay through mid Sunday PM but our Sunday attendance sure sucks!!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 02:06:32 AM
Subscriber

Around here Sunday seems to be about the same as Saturday, except after the parade on Suday people start to "beat it" fast. Show's pretty much done when the parade is done.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:30:33 AM
Registered-III

I agree with Ken. I remember that Sunday's were always the big day for shows, here in WI & MN. Baraboo has a pretty good attendence on Sunday, but that seems to be going down, too, even though it's in the middle of the biggest tourist trap in WI. Most of the shows, I go to, I only go on Saturday, but if I do stay the weekend, I try to leave by noon on Sunday, to avoid traffic & get home & unload, unpack & unwind. I have gone to one show on Saturday & then a different one on Sunday, but that's kinda over doing it.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:13:07 AM
Registered-III

Getting there early and leaving early is the Al Fannin syndrome!!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:30:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

Same here in the East. I have to leave early Sunday mornings so I can get home, unload, get some Z 'ssssss and be at work by 11:00pm Sunday .
Old 01-03-2005, 01:29:12 AM
Registered-II

I'm pretty new in the hobby, but it does seem that Sundays here in So Cal are getting weaker both in attendance and exhibitors than even just a couple years ago. I myself am leaving earlier on Sundays, 'cause I feel like everyone else is.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:36:10 PM
Registered-II

Hello,
I have noticed that many exhibitors leave our local show on sunday. I, personally understand, but I stay until the last call is made over the loudspeaker. I don't get much time with most of my engines anymore, and I only goto about 5 or 6 shows a year. Some, like coolspring, I just go for one day, But others I try to stay at a little longer, depending on my work schedule. I usually stay in a tent and cook on an old Coleman one burner stove, So for all the trouble I go to, It makes sense to stay as long as possible.

The simple serf
Old 01-04-2005, 07:21:03 PM
irondad

For me and my father when we go to a show we like to stay all weekend. Because when a show comes around that we attend it is a whole weekend event and we intend to enjoy when we can as long as we can. I to have noticed that baraboo is thinning out early on sunday even saturday afternoon. I think that we are losing sundays at many shows because a great share of the engine collectors are getting up there in age and just don't have the energy anymore spend all weekend at a show and would just like have time relax at home.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:13:09 PM
Subscriber

David have you been to Lathrop MO show. It is located 40 miles northeast of KC. Sunday is one of the best days at this show! They have a big car show on sunday and this brings the peaple. Lathrop is hosting the Case Expo for 2005. They are expecting over 20 large steamers at the show this year. Check out web! Hope to see you there.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:14:38 PM
Registered-II

Smile Re: Are we loosing "Sundays" at shows?

Over the last fews years our Sunday attendance was slipping. Last summer our central Iowa show on Sunday was much stronger than previous years. Most stayed until our parade ended at 2:00 pm and there were several engines including mine still running for maybe an hour or so beyond that. It is a little harder to load up a hot engine. Sounds like we are in for a heck of a snow storm here tonight 10 -12" expected by morning! I have my trusty TO30 Ferguson ready for battle.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03:33 AM
Registered-III

Being involved in a club that puts on shows and also being an exibitor, I will throw in my 2 cents. In all fareness to the spectators I think that they should have a full fledged show to see if they just come out for Sunday afternoon. And a lot of them do just come for Sunday afternoon. They go to Church and maybe come out to the show for dinner or after dinner and enjoy the show. Our show started having 2 parades, one Saturday and one on Sunday afternoon. It is just a parade of power and no competion for a trophy. That way everyone is invited to go through the parade even if your tractor is rusty. In the midwest it seems a parade is always a crowd pleaser. But after the parade it seems there isn't much show left as everyone is packing up. I find that is a time when the local club members/exibitors stick around to help others load and socialize with each other. We don't have so far to go so not so big of hurry.
In comparing it with other types of get togethers: There is a large Ham Radio "Hamfest" in July here in Nebraska at a State Park campground. It is a weekend deal with "Hams" coming in to camp as much as two weeks ahead. But on Sunday it is the big steak fry at noon. You should see the campground, those campers are loaded up, buttoned up and hitched up with almost the motors running to get out of there as soon as dinner is over. There are no spectators involved there but it is the same with everyone leaving early.
At gun shows there are a lot of spectators. Around this part of the country the exibitors/dealers are required to stay till the end of the advertised time of the end of the show. I know that this is more like a swapmeet but if people come out to the show on Sunday afternoon and find it half gone they think it is not worth coming back next year as it was a flop.
So every hobby has the same type of problem.
Spectators do pay admission at the gate and do contribute to the cost of putting on the show. We need to have them comming back and bringing friends they told about how great our show was last year. That is how I got interested in this hobby, by going to one of these shows.
Steve in Nebraska
Old 01-05-2005, 09:01:55 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Are we losing "Sundays" at shows?

Rock River has a great Sunday show, mainly because we're Labor Day weekend and run Mondays as well. Monday (Labor Day) is about half of our weekend days- there's some parades and a Labor Fest that we compete against, but yes, things thin out after the parade ends.

For our swap meet in June, we run the Auction on Sunday afternoon to keep folks there.

Baraboo has their auction on Saturday for their swap- huge. Sunday, seems like nobody's left. Sunday show is starting to get a little week, but they have a fairly decent Friday.

Dodge County is good Saturday and Sunday, and that's real church country there. Plainfield this year was real weak on Sunday- lots of rain scared everyone off.

There's definitly stuff you can do to keep the last day of the show active- rules for your vendors to stay open, parades, and an understanding from your members that the last day is still a show. Heck, sometimes at Threshere, we're still going on Tuesday, not to mention the weekend before- we've actually had folks stop in off the highway during setup weekend and ask why where the flea market went!
Closed Thread