Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Schematic for Type R Fairbanks magneto

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2769 times

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:38:54 PM
Registered

Default Schematic for Type R Fairbanks magneto

I've taken on my first project, a F/M 3 horse "Z". All seems to be going well except that the Fairbanks type R magneto is frozen solid and won't rotate at all.

I hate to begin trying to force something (anything) without at least
studying it a little. Who knows, you might be working against a set screw,
for example, which, if you loosened it a bit, might solve the problem.

My question is -- do you know of any source for an exploded view or
schematic for this magneto ?

Thanks very much,

Perk Bingham
New member of Branch 26, Early Days Gas Engines (etc)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2005, 01:41:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,288 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default Re: Schematic for Type R Fairbanks magneto

What you need to do first is remove the high tension leadout. That is the black plastic like part that the spark plug wire plugs into. If you do not remove this first, you will break the flange on the collector ring inside when you remove the armature. Once you remove the leadout, if everything is removed from the shaft(gear, etc...), you can then push the armature out the back once the cover is removed. The cover has four screws holding it on. If the mag has never been apart, one of these screws will have a lead seal over the top of it. I believe it would be the one in the upper right hand corner when looking straight at the back of the mag. There will also be a raised boss around the screw head. What you will find most of the time with these mags is that a tar like substance will have oozed out of the armature and prevented it from turning. I have had several mags like this and have had good luck with them by simply disassembling them and cleaning them up. Good luck with your project and I hope this helps you out.

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 12:29:01 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Schematic for Type R Fairbanks magneto

Hey Perk, I'm in the process of restoring a 2hp FM-Z, which also has the R-mag. I had the same problem. It was the tar like substance that froze the armature just as Mike described. Follow Mike's instructions. I used the same procedure and now it works fine. The points on this mag spin with the armature and the lobe is on the cover plate. I can't find any way to set the points other than guessing. I searched the archives for R-mag info and found that they were not worth spending much money on. The FM-J mag is a great alternative that is more user freindly. I think the gear shaft size is the same and the mounting holes may even line up! Let me know if you would like some pics, my R is apart at this time. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Erik
Old 01-04-2005, 12:37:20 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Schematic for Type R Fairbanks magneto

Thanks Mike,

With the exception (so far) of the substance, that's exactly what I've found in terms of the mechanics of the thing.

The problem I have is that I can't get it to come out. I guess I could put come nuts on the threads to protect them and then apply more force.

When I removed the flywheels from the crank I jury rigged a bottle jack to apply pressure. Perhaps I could use some variant of that system.

At least I now know that it "should" come out.

Thanks again,

Perk
Closed Thread