Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

6 hp m ,mixer

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2167 times

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:08:32 AM
Registered-III

Default 6 hp m ,mixer

i am trying to take the mixer off the head , it is a kerosen , gas and water one
it is loose on the bolts but it wont come up, i took out the needle valves and cant get the brass part to come out , i just about have it all rounded off so i am in trouble now what can i do . thanks ron brown in ill and not haveing fun.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2005, 12:29:23 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: 6 hp m ,mixer

I had a bit of trouble getting the brass nuts to come out of mine as well, I knew ahead of time that I was going to replace mine so I filed new flats on them and with a little PB Blaster and patience I was able to turn them out with a fits all wrench. As to the mixer being stuck to the head I would imagine that the gasket has a good rust hold and if you delicatley work at both sides a little at a time it will come free, also if you have the top off of the mixer you might try double nutting the studs and see if they will turn out for you then the mixer should come right off. If you need new siphons and needle valves Hit and Miss has those as well and I was very pleased with them I have seen other ones that made them with a brass handle on them and the original ones where pot metal Ed makes his out of aluminum and they look and work as well as the originals Joe M.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:30:44 AM
Card Sponsor

Might be stuck on the gasket.Try some thin wedges or possibly a wide screwdriver.What brass parts are you trying to take out?The nuts that hold the pickups in?Rob
Old 01-04-2005, 12:33:57 AM
Registered-II

By the way I found that when you put the new siphon hold down nut thingys in you are best off to use a paste sealer and not teflon tape, teflon wicks fuel and then it drips gas on to the head but the paste doesn't, also when you reassemble the mixer to the head and the cover to the mixer put a thin coat of never seize on both sides of the gasket this will save you a lot of trouble later it you need to take it back apart otherwise the gaskets will stick and when you remove the top it will rip. Hit and Miss has precut gaskets too. And Ed I get a discount on my next order since I sound like a commercial for you
Old 01-04-2005, 01:38:28 AM
Registered

Talking Re: 6 hp m ,mixer

Yup, had the same trouble with the nuts on my mixer. Finally had them so rounded off and oval shaped that I thought it was a lost cause. Then one day I was in the local Runnings store and noticed an item called "Xtraktor". It is a set of five removers designed to handle nuts, studs and bolts from 7/16" to 5/8". They are a hardened tube with a 13/16" shoulder attached. Inside the tube are 18 teeth angle cut and in such a manner that when torque is applied they dig into the item to be removed. I hammered the nearest size on the oval nut and the remover neatly cut it round. Now at least I would get a good grip the entire circumference of the nut. Hammered the next smaller size on, attached a 13/16" socket with a breaker bar and couldn't move it. Slipped a 2 foot pipe over the breaker bar and you should have heard the nut squeal when it came out. But it did come out! It didn't strip in the threads and it didn't break off. I would not be without this set of removers.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:54:19 AM
Registered-II

Ron, You can also get those nut-extractors from Sears. They really work.Warm in central Texas. Joe
Old 01-04-2005, 03:48:26 AM
In Memory Of

I had the same troubles as mention in the former posts. Needed new syphons anyway the old pot metal ones were rotten away, so a drilled the nuts out cleaned the threads with a tap and screwed the new ones in. Always use a drip red locktite on the threads to prevent leakage.
Attached Thumbnails
mixer.jpg  
Old 01-05-2005, 05:59:06 PM
Registered-III

thanks guys , i might just leave the mixer on the head and not take it off to
clean and paint . ron brown in central ill
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32:02 PM
Registered-II

John I was looking at the pic of the mixer dissassmbled that you posted and i noticed pieces I haven't got. what is the piece directley above the rear cover it looks like a bushing of some sort where does it go? Thanx Joe M.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:11:32 PM
In Memory Of

Joe, as you can see in the picture I had to made a new shaft ( stud) for the air compensating valve and this mixer had a spacer bushing on the shaft, so I made a new one too for it. In case the engine needs alot of air the compensating valve will open more or less, by using a spacer bushing on the shaft you shorten the travel and the engine will quicker act to his normal rpm as to the governor is set. It works very smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
mixer parts.jpg  
Closed Thread