Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Cushman "c" questions

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2327 times

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:22:38 AM
Registered-I

Default Cushman "c" questions

I recently aquired a 4hp Cushman binder engine and have questions reguarding it's cooling system. This engine has a small (10") cooling fan driven by a narrow flat belt from the magneto drive and a cast iron fitting for the top water outlet with a rectangular flat upward opening like it is supposed to work with some type of header tank or hopper. This opening is just above the fan. Did this engine use some type of radiator instead of the usual screen cooler? Would circulation have been by convection? There is no water pump present. (missing?) Any information or photos would be highly appreceated!

Thank you!

Joe S.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2005, 01:41:16 AM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Cushman "c" questions

Some Cushman's had radiators on them. They were special order only though for jobs that had an excess of dust and dirt.

Here is a photo from an original Cushman catalog on my site.

Check out the link for the rest of the catalog. Cushman Sales Document
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Cushman "c" questions

One of the fellows in our club has a Cushman "C" equipped with a radiator. It's a cute little rascal.

Orrin
Old 01-12-2005, 07:27:13 PM
Subscriber

Here's a terrible picture of one.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture_1358.jpg  
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44:16 PM
Registered-I

I have a Cushman binder engine and i would like to know how other owners start theirs. Do you use a crankor pony motor? Ihave a heck of a time getting mine going Thanks Dave
Old 01-13-2005, 11:45:20 PM
Registered-I

I have a Cushman binder engine and i would like to know how other owners start theirs. Do you use a crank or pony motor? Ihave a heck of a time getting mine going, Thanks Dave.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:06:34 AM
Subscriber

I start my Cuchman by flipping the flywheel by hand. Now that I have the routine down pat it usually fires the first time around.

If you're having difficulty, I suspect you are not opening the compression relief petcock. There should be a petcock on the side of the cylinder. It is a compression release. Open it up for starting. Then, as soon as the engine fires, close it off.

Orrin
Old 01-14-2005, 09:45:01 AM
Registered-III

i have a 4 hp cushman binder engine , to start i turn on gas, put a small amount of gas in the air intake,retard timeing with the lever by the mag,open compresion release, turn flywheel and it starts on first or second turn of flywheel. ron brown in cemtral ill .
Old 01-14-2005, 12:21:39 PM
Registered-II

Joe: This is what is referred to as a Cushman Model C "Unit" because it was a self-contained unit with its own radiator and gas tank mounted to bosses on the engine, rather than the separate round water tank with cooling cone and gas tank. I have a couple of these units plus considerable literature including original manuals and factory photos of these engines. Please contact me. Jim
Closed Thread