Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Worthington 1 1/2 hp

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2169 times

Old 01-16-2005, 11:45:06 PM
Registered

Default Worthington 1 1/2 hp

I bought a Worthington last March and made it run, but not real good. So in the fall is removed the head and found the valve guides to be worn. I continued by removing the piston and rod. The upper rod bearing was broken in half. So I'm looking for valves and rod bearing for this engine. Thanks for any help you can give!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2005, 10:43:31 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Worthington 1 1/2 hp

Hey Richard,Funny you should mention worn valve guides on a 11/2 Worthington.I was just out in the shop messing with mine and it too has worn guides!Another project.The valve stems and guides are pretty small diameter.I thought about reaming the guide and putting a slightly larger stem on the valves.As far as your rod bearing,if it's the big end bearing you will have to pour a new babbit bearing. Chip Watford Calhoun,Ga.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:34:56 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Worthington 1 1/2 hp

Well Chip, I see we are almost neighbors. Were you at the Calhoun show in October? The valve stem is close to 1/4" and I have found some brass tubing from the hobby shop that is 9/32" that will make a nice guide. I just need to order a reamer to do the job. The rod had an insert but didn't look correct. I'm still looking. I bought a saltblock FM last week and it has a broken main on it, but I see Hit N Miss has one in their catalog. Thanks Richard http://www.smokstak.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thumbs up
Old 01-19-2005, 07:47:24 PM
Registered-III

Anyone reproducing the mufflers for the 1-1/2 hp engines ? Mine is busted in half and the front half is completly gone. I can get them cast if someone has a good one for a pattern. Thanks---Roland
Old 01-20-2005, 11:07:21 AM
Registered

Mine has a few chips in it, but is well attached to the head and I dare not try to remove it. Richard
Old 09-07-2016, 10:43:31 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Worthington 1 1/2 hp

I have a 2 1/2 HP Worthington all in parts that I am going too put back to life. I can make a lot of stuff and blacksmith some things. I thought about sand casting part's for you guys size and my size do you think any one would or could use them. I don't work and need to make a little money here and there just to pay a water bill or something or a part I can't make. What do you think. I would have to get measurements from some of you guys to make my forms from
Old 09-08-2016, 11:27:44 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Worthington 1 1/2 hp

Hey guys I had thought about making sum difference sand casting molds all different things that were needed for these types of engines has I2 have a Worthington 2 and a half horse hit and miss engine. I do not have the forms to start making the molds from but do you think it would be of any interest to sell them on the form for a low price just so I can get something to do and to pay for the little bit of cost it takes for me to do this