Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Flywheels

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2655 times

Old 01-17-2005, 12:39:18 PM
Registered

Default Flywheels

I have an Alamo 1-1/2 HP. The flywheels are in nice shape and the outer rim has never been painted. I would like to clean them up and make them 'shine". It is winter here in Pa and I have lots of time Outside of taking them off and taking them to someone to put on a lathe, I would appreciate any suggestions for cleaning them and getting rid of the mild surface abrasion, etc. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Rich
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2005, 02:20:51 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Flywheels

Either do it by hand with a sanding block and/or scotch bright.
Or disconnect the connecting rod and belt it up to an electric motor.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:26:00 PM
Subscriber

Flap disc on a 4inch grinder works well for taking off the rust and getting rid of the pits.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:12:41 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I would (very carefully) use some emery cloth in your hand while it is running. You can start with rougher and go down to finer cloth. You could easily lose body parts if you get tired and slip while doing this, but it will work very well. The emery cloth is liable to get pretty hot so be careful. I was wondering if a good grade of car wax would keep the shine on better than oil? I dunno. Kevin
Old 01-17-2005, 06:49:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Well if the engine is fastened down Solid I have used a Disc sander or a flap wheel on a small disc grinder. Just start the engine and apply the sander to the flywheel but.... BE Carefull . Also if the pits are really bad you could mount the cross slide from your lathe and take a thin cut off the outside while turning the engine slow with a motor.

I machined the collars on my Sawmill in this manner setting up things with a dial indicator. Now they run true with the recommended .002 to .003 taper. I had about every big C clamp I had used up when I did this.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:46:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts

If not pitted badly I'd use a belt sander with engine running.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:08:13 PM
Rusty Seeker

To get the flywheel on my Maytag shiney, all I do is get some liquid cleaner on a rag and rub it against the flywheel CAREFULLY!. If you watch out, it should be okay to do. For some bigger engines, steel wool sould work well . By the way, would you have any information on Alamos built for Baker Hamilton & Pacific Co.? Thanks.

Rusty
Old 01-17-2005, 08:09:38 PM
Registered-III

Rich, the methods these guys described have worked well for me. I use a electric motor for turning so that I can cover everything. Direct the side grinder/sander to blow away from the engine. A fan helps.

The dust from sanding/grinding is bad news for bearings and cylinders
Old 01-17-2005, 08:10:35 PM
Rusty Seeker

I run the rag on the flywheel while it is running, CAREFULLY, that is^^^^^ sorry

Rusty
Old 01-18-2005, 12:37:11 AM
Registered-III

I use Harbor Freight Tools sanding sponges which come in 10 packs and are very reasonable especially when they are on sale. I just run the engine and sand away any rust, paint and scratches. Then I use some oil on a rag to keep down the rust. Cast iron dosn't rust very much so I just re-sand and oil each time I show the engine and each time it looks a little better than the time before. I try not to hold the sponge sanding block where any grit is likly to fall onto the bearings. At some point when the fine grade sanding sponges are too coarse I will probably find that fine wet and dry emery paper will do a better job for the final polishing of the surface.

I personally like the look of having not only the face of the flywheel shiny but also the 1/2 inch or so lip on each side if the flywheel which gives a nice look from a side view.

I have thought that I might try making an arm that would hold the sanding block in constant contact with the flywheel face and let the engine run for some time to see how smooth I could get it. I haven't run out of other more pressing projects, so I haven't tried that yet.

Dick
Old 01-18-2005, 10:08:44 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions... will try them out. I don't have any bad pitting but they (flywheels) will look much better with a shine to them as they have never been painted. Rusty....I don't have any info on other Alamo engines.....mine is a 1920's model with an enclosed crankcase and I have been looking for any info plus decal info for it and it seems difficult to find. Have a great day everyone. Rich
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11:10 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Flywheels

I have used a belt sander while they engine was running.The engine was on skids and well anchored.I held the sander at about 3 o'clock and had my shop vac running below the sander collecting the rust and grit.I then finished
with hand pads and steel wool.Good luck and work safe !
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02:51 AM
Registered-II

Rich,

I have a 1921 Alamo 1 1/2 HP. I got decals from Ed Deis.

John