Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Electrolysis: Discovered new solution

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 4020 times

Old 01-18-2005, 05:51:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts
Default Electrolysis: Discovered new solution

Gang:

I just left the shop where I've got a short piece of VERY rusty railroad rail cooking. (I'm gonna use if for an anvil.)

Not having any sodium carbonate or bicarbonate of soda, I rooted through my wife's collection of cleaning agents and think I've found a winner. I'm sure you've seen the ads for something called "Oxy-Clean".

I took a gander at the label and found out that it contains sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. Nothing else is listed.

I put a fresh anode (squashed 4 lb coffee can) in a 5-gal plastic bucket with about 4 gallons of water. Dunked the rail into the bucket and turned on the power supply.

With just water, expectedly, it only drew about a half Amp at 30 Volts. I added a measure (the measure comes with the Oxy-Clean) of Oxy-clean and stirred. The current rose to a couple of amps. Added two more measures and I could pegged the ammeter (20 Amps) at 30 Volts. I set it back to 10 Amps and let it cook.

After about an hour, it was still drawing about 8 Amps and there was a nice, icky brown foamy scum on top of the liquid, which means that it's cooking nicely. I've raised the voltage to get the current back up to 10 Amps and will check it tomorrow morning.

Hmm.......If I had a couple of newts, I could add it to the witches brew......might work even better.

I'll let y'all know how it did overnight (if the whold place dowsn't blow-up!).

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2005, 06:56:25 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Electrolysis: Discovered new solution

I've been told that if you mix a little of the two sodiums: carbonate and bi-carbonate, that it will work a little better than just the first one alone.
I'm not a chemist, but it might be worth a try. I don't know what in the world your PER carbonate is in the oxy clean, but I'll bet it will remove any grape juice stains from your anvil! Kevin
Old 01-18-2005, 08:50:57 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Electrolysis: Discovered new solution

thanks for the word on OxyClean. My wife uses it all the time and we are never out of the stuff. Ready to give it a try. Dick in the damn cold Finger Lake Region of NY.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:16:37 AM
Registered-I

Smile Re: Electrolysis: Discovered new solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hamilton
thanks for the word on OxyClean. My wife uses it all the time and we are never out of the stuff. Ready to give it a try. [B]Dick in the damn cold Finger Lake Region of NY.
Mr. Hamilton---sir, it is no wonder you are cold----perhaps you will recall the that the Dutch boy used his finger in the dike
Old 01-19-2005, 11:17:17 AM
Subscriber

Gang:

Well, I went out this morning and found that sometime during the night, the tin lead to the anode had corroded through. It was just a strip cut from the coffee can. I'll have to set it back up this evening and cook it some more. Right now, I don't have time to take the anvil out of the bucket and see how far it's come.

Yes - I think the Oxy-Clean will take that pesky grape juice off!

Stay tuned and take care - Elden
Old 01-20-2005, 07:01:54 PM
Subscriber

Okey dokey......I've decided to put all this electrolysis stuff on my web page. You can get to it either by hitting my home page then going to "Other Stuff". Electrolysis is off of that page.

The easy way is to use the direct link to the Electrolysis page. Tell me if I've gotten anything wrong in the explanation.

Get a load of the new use for a junk B&S flywheel.......

Take care - Elden
Direct link: http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand/O...ctrolysis.html
Through my home page: http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand