Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Need Witte headless help!!

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3865 times

Old 01-24-2005, 08:10:08 PM
Registered-I

Default Need Witte headless help!!

I have a 8 HP Witte headless with the dual fuel option. This has the two section fuel tank on the hopper. I have two carbs(actually one carb and one mixer)on this engine. The carb has a float/bowl which bolts to the mixer which bolts to the intake assy. Does anyone know how the carb is plumbed to the hopper on the tank?? Does anyone have an muffler for this engine??
Thanks
Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 09:33:49 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Need Witte headless help!!

Large chamber is connected to a 3-way fuel valve coming off the small chamber, then leads into the float mixer with a tee and drain valve. Water feed is connected to intake body valve (what would be the gasoline needle valve on a gasoline only engine) and either goes to a screen fitting in hopper, or a 3rd tank mounted in the engine skid. Muffler would probably have been a pipe cap having a number of holes drilled in it, although I've seen a few with the cast Iron Works muffler.

Cheers!

NICK
Old 01-24-2005, 10:51:41 PM
Registered-I

I have the original tank and fuel valve. Does the fuel line connect to the bottom of the float bowl or on the carb body?? Thanks
Lynn
Old 01-25-2005, 08:12:10 AM
Registered-III

Fuel line goes to float bowl.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:50:29 PM
Registered-I

Hi Nick, I don't have the carb in from of me. But, the best I remember the opening is in the bottow of the bowl. As fuel comes in from the bottom, the float rises and lets in more fuel. I can't figure how the float assy regulates and holds the level in the bowl. On most float bowls the fuel comes in from the top and as the float rises it regulates the fuel flow. I wonder if my carb has been modified or is incompete?? Thanks!!
Lynn
Old 01-27-2005, 09:01:22 PM
Registered-III

On this carb the fuel comes up thru the bottom and regulates the flow. Be sure to lap that little ball on the wire in really good and be sure the tank and lines are clean. Even the tiniest speck of dirt will let the carb overflow and gas will come gushing out the top and air ell, not good! Here is the diagram showing the carb cutaway and instructions on how to set the float. Hope you can read it ok, stupid scanner is broke so had to take a picture. I set fuel level at 1/8 instead of 1/16, this has helped keeping any overflow to a minimum and still works fine.

Cheers! NICK
Old 01-28-2005, 08:17:53 PM
Registered-I

Hi Nick, thanks for the pix!! I getting close now, I "feel it" Hi Hi, one more question,"I think" . The rod with the ball is attached to the float. Do I just need to take the top off of the float bowl and set it down in the bowl or does the ell at the bottow of the bowl need to come off and the rod inserted from the bottow and then reattach the float to the rod and set for the proper height??? I can't see how the ball regulates the fuel unless it is inserted from the bottom and the upward pressure on the cork float lifts the ball up on a seat and regulates fuel?? Sorry that I am having such a hard time undestanding this...Thanks for all of your help and patience!!!!
Lynn
Old 01-29-2005, 08:42:21 AM
Registered-III

Take the ell off bottom and cover off float bowl. Insert the rod up thru the bottom hole, and push float onto it from the top. If you haven't done so already, seal the cork float. I didn't at first, it just got saturated with gas and sank to bottom of chamber.

Cheers! NICK
Old 01-29-2005, 01:20:41 PM
Registered-I

Hi Nick, thanks again for you help!!!!!
Lynn