Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Show discussion - Plain City

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2805 times

Old 01-24-2005, 09:44:18 AM
Registered-III

Default Tractor - Engine shows

I can't understand why collectors spend so much time fighting over what to collect. It's all old machinery, whether it be a stationary engine, tractor, steam engine, etc. A show would be pretty boring if it was all only one thing. What about all the other old equipment at the shows? It's not all just engines and tractors. What about the pumps, air compressors, generators, horse drawn equipment, and everything else that doesn't fit into the engine or tractor catagory. My Dad collects old electric motors that are neither a gas engine or tractor, what show should he go to?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 08:15:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,058 Times in 350 Posts
Default Re: shows

Hello, I read your post and can relate to it.. I have engines and have in the past had tractors from AC-B's and C's to a 8,175 lb Hart Parr 28-50

A show I normally go to every year in Ohio was a small friendly show with a little of everything to see.. Then overnight it seems the directors decided to switch the main focus to tractors and now the main grounds are stuffed with whatever the feature tractor happens to be and the engine people are scattered along the edges and out in a hay feild where the tractors and steamers have been for 30+ years..

After seeing how everything had changed I called the club before the show date and asked what the layout was going to be this year and if the tractors would be limited in the main area and balanced with engines ?

I was told the the show would stay the same and if I needed special parking for my display to contact them when I come in and they would see to it that I had a good spot..

I really don't need anything special but to have to ask is not my way and what about the others who don't have an insiders edge? I did not go that year and this past year as well.. I guess they missed me because two membership cards came in the mail for me and my son..

Why can't we share the space instead of it being a power struggle between steam, engines and tractors..

I've decided to start camping with some friends in out of the way places and just have our engines on display and have our own fun and let the wars wage on.. Randy Hart Ohio

Last edited by Harry; 01-25-2005 at 01:52:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:28:24 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Plain City show

You must be talking of the Plain City, Ohio show. I went for about ten years. Didn't go last year and will not go again until they change the way they treat the people showing engines. They were going to TOW my truck with trailer load of engines out of the park because I parked at the end of a row of other displayed engines. No body to help park displays. Tractors parked all over the place along with many FLEA MARKET JUNKIES.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46:33 PM
Registered-III

The plain city show used to be one of my favorite shows, never missed it. They had a large amount of engines to be seen, large swap meet area, with engine parts/tractor parts nice show. The last couple of years things really have changed. What happened? This year tractors, tractors, tractors, very few engines. No, I won't be going to that show for quite a while.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:22:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,058 Times in 350 Posts
Default Re: Mystery show

Allen and Chuck, I have never been to plain city but I hope to some day..
I know some real nice people from that show and I'm sure if there is a problem
it is being looked into.. and any needed corrections will be made..

The show I was talking about is North East of me and I left the name out of my post to protect the innocent in the club.. I felt the practice of club bashing was better left to one on one emails than here on Harrys.. Thats My policy and mine alone << My post was an opinion and observation and personal plan of action or rather lack of action..

To further shoot myself in the foot, one could say that being a member of the offending club gives us a vote at meetings and thats another way to seek changes we would like to see, or for things to remain the same..

Back in the 80's I ended up a VP at our local club and after that was over I now understand the trends and power plays that go on in a show.. I just don't have the desire to fight the system anymore.. I feel I'm no better than a guy with his choice of equipment but the all or nothing method is a tough thing to watch.. I made my suggestions as a member in that phone call and due to the distance, thats about all I can do at this time.. Perhaps in a year or so I'll go back and see who is in power and set out my engines..

Some shows will become bigger and some smaller and some will fold and be gone.. I'm not here to pull anyones plug.. Just hope for balence
Randy Hart Ohio
Old 01-25-2005, 12:47:15 AM
Subscriber

Unhappy Re: shows

Sorry to hear about the show. Here in IL, there are few close and they're all in the fall. I have to say though that the Argyle Antique Gas Engine Assoc's show this last year was starting to pick up. There for awhile they lost alot of exhibitors, then they lost the park ranger (the show is held at a state park) so even though they had alot to deal with, it was a real nice show. Anyone else attend this last year? I wish the county fairs around here would start showing old farm machinery again...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:41:11 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: shows

One of our local clubs went as far as to change its name to the "Tractor Club" and has banned steam from the shows.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:28:57 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Plain City Show

Holy Cow!~

I wasn't expecting that! Due to the nature, I feel the need to respond to the comments on the Plain City show. As of 2004, I am a show director and my input and time is spent in the gas engine area.

One comment that I want to express on is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fannin
You must be talking of the Plain City, Ohio show. I went for about ten years, Didn't go last year and will not go again until they change the way they treat the people showing engines.They were going to TOW my truck with trailer load of engines out of the park because I parked at the end of a row of other displayed engines. No body to help park displays. Tractors parked all over the place along with many FLEA MARKET JUNKIES.
Well, first of all this is a dammed if you do dammed if you don't situation. Sorry to hear, Alan, that you didn't go last year. Tom Winland & I would have been more than happy to accommodate you and assist you in setting up your display. But, one of the problems we encountered last year was what I called the good ole boy syndrome. People who have been going to the show since probably before I was born and feel that their decision on where to park, display and do their thing overrides any desire by show directors who are trying their best to organize and assist.

For one, the club invited the O.F.E.S. to display at the show. Russell Farmer and his family spent allot of his own personal time and money bringing his 50HP Fairbanks to the show and it was my thought to accommodate him in any way possible along with the other folks from the OFES since they were our guest feature in the engine area. Sure as the day is long, several days before the show was to start, a fellow showed up on the grounds and on his own accord parked his little display front & center. Exactly where Tom & I had decided to make sure Russell could put the Fairbanks. So what do you do? Tell the exhibitor "We are going to TOW you truck with trailer load of engines out of the park because you parked at the end of a row of other displayed engines?" No, I don't think that would be an appropriate decision, but some order has to be maintained and at the very least (By most accounts this is no problem at all) an exhibitor should ask "Where can I set up?" Not tell me where they are going to set up and gripe & complain and claim (Quote) "they are never coming back" when a show director explains the situation and asks if they can please move their display 20 feet away.

The Plain City show is an old show by standards. This year is the 56th annual meet. I am sure these issues have been delt with in the past and I feel it is a shame there is any confusion at this point. But, my pledge is to make the engine area the best it can be and help any exhibitor in any way. What else can I do? There are no tractors to be set up in the gas engine area, but if some one asked to park their John Deere A with their engine display my first question for them would be Would it be a problem to park it in the tractor area and if they expressed a concern and insisted on parking it with their engine display I would say that would be ok. I don't think this is a problem but by no means are there rows of tractors mingled in the engine area. Same goes with flea market. I would not allow a table of Care Bears to be set up next to the Ottawa Log Saw display. And as far as I can remember, this was not a problem at last year's show.

I am always open to criticism and I think this year I am going to pass out a questionnaire asking for criticism and comments.

I will now open the floor to Tom.

Last edited by Keith Smigle; 01-25-2005 at 03:25:05 PM. Reason: Mistake refering to wrong thread.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:31:16 AM
In Memory Of Helen

Thumbs up Re: shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimntih
Here in IL, there are few close and they're all in the fall. I have to say though that the Argyle Antique Gas Engine Assoc's show this last year was starting to pick up. There for awhile they lost alot of exhibitors, then they lost the park ranger (the show is held at a state park) so even though they had alot to deal with, it was a real nice show. Anyone else attend this last year?
We attended the show in Colchester, IL last fall. It was a very nice show. But like many shows, the regulars make their own rules such as ignoring the no camping in the display area and showing at their camp site. There was one trailer(closed) in the display area that the exhibitors slept in the whole time. Did they pay for camping, NO! You pay to camp because it is a State Park.

We saw and talked to people that we hadn't seen in 8 years.
This show has the nicest flea market! General antique merchandise was abundant. Nice showers even though it was a half mile walk. The food was great and varied. Good mix of engines and tractors. Plenty of spectators because the engines & tractors are displayed between the parking lot and the flea market.

We were enroute from Portland to Ottawa and had the weekend in between the two shows. We also knew the people in two of the campers next to us. They were both from Illinois.

We wouldn't drive from PA just to go to the show but if it was within 300 miles we would! Helen
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31:19 AM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,936 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: Plain City Show

I agree with everything that Keith said and back him completely. We are both new to the board of directors for the Plain City show and our goal was to improve the gas engine area at the show. I think that the engine area was much more organized this past year and will continue to grow. Like Keith also said we welcome any comments and suggestions. And like Keith said the show has been around for many years and hopefully many more to come if we can help it.

Over the years before we got there I would say that there were probably some misunderstandings and such but I'm sure that happens at alot of shows thru the years. We are doing everything we can to keep everyone happy and to make the show a success. We had a very good turn out this past year with the feature of the OFES and will be very happy to have them back every year.

I would like to personally invite everyone to come out to the Plain City show this year in July. It is a very nice show with lots of variety and most of the grounds have large shade trees that makes it nice for everyone.

Thanks
Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 01-25-2005, 01:07:04 PM
Registered-I

regarding plain city, this is the show That i first went to. i saw it all there, tractors, steam, equipment, old engines(which are my favorite) and the OFES and their great engines. i also have a 15hp now.i have enjoyed it as a spectator for years...this year we would like to be a participant. KEITH, I WILL TAKE THAT OTHER FELLOWS SPOT. and try not to be to fussy. we live in a world that changes more and more eveyday...our minds race with far to many problems..day to day toooo fast for the most of us that enjoy the old iron.... at least me.we are mostly not your modern man, because of our love of the past and its machinery.because a minute or two of our lives are inconvienianced or the situation demands some change of us we should not pitch a fit, but pitch a hand,working with our friends and neighbors,to help in the overall event.as we are all just sharing, enjoying and preserving the past. not just for us but the others that have never seen engines, rode on a tractor, or even seen ice cream being made. we all miss out when you say you will not come back.that includes every one.we gain nothing for ourseves by staying home.we share when we are with others. i will be there for the entire weekend this year, hope to see everyone there. just my thoughts. god bless
Old 01-25-2005, 06:19:34 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: Show discussion - Plain City

I too hope to be back to Plain City in July. I haven't displayed the past couple of years only because of scheduling conflicts or last year's monsoon season in Ohio. I thought Keith and Tom did a fantastic job last year, especially when you consider that they lost a good chunk of display area due to the soggy conditions. Fortunately the engine display has rebounded from what it was when the club moved it into the corner. They were lucky if there were 2 rows of engines to look at 10 years ago. Now, that corner is filled with engines. Maybe some folks had bad luck in the past, but the new regime seems to be moving it in the right direction. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:22:50 PM
Registered-III

The best part of towing fannin's truck at the Plain City show that my 72yr old dad was with us and he was going to whip the going calling the wrecker!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:37:00 PM
Subscriber

I love the plain city show. Now a couple years ago I remeber there being very few engines. I was there this year and there was a nice turn out even though it rained other than that I had no problems with any one or any thing. I"m good friends with Tom and Keith and most every one there knows everybody and they make you feel welcome. I know that Tom or Keith would do all in their power to assist you if you need it. I'm no going to miss that show for noting.

Chase 16yrs old a still lovein engines
Old 01-26-2005, 10:57:08 PM
Registered-III

ive been going to the plain city show for about 3 years now. although i have never taken anything to show. i still enjoy it. yes somethings could be changed and more organized, but its still fun to walk around and talk to some of the showers. at least that show hasnt fell apart like the one did here in darke county. they had to competley seperate steam from tractors because of arguments and such. then you have your die hard fans that take a tractor to the steam show or bring a steam engine to the tractor show. that makes it neat. just look at it this way. it could be worse.. there could be seperated. or even worse. no show at all..

another .02 cents
Old 01-28-2005, 11:41:04 AM
Arthur

Hello Woody,just wanted to compliment you on the way you responded to the parking issue,how true it is. My best regards to all you fine people,especially Harry. Arthur
Old 01-29-2005, 09:45:14 PM
Registered

Don't forget the show in Pataskala Ohio the last weekend in Sept. This will be our 5th year with something for everyone! I try to go to Plain City every year and it's a great show. I think that shows with only tractors or only eng. or only washing machines will wither and die. I try hard to make everyone happy,[not easy], We take donations, no fee to register, no fee to the public, no one at the gate with their hand out and we always cover expenses and then some.! Lewie