Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

NEON a bit off topic, but

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1804 times

Old 01-27-2005, 12:20:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts
Angry NEON a bit off topic, but

why does it cost so much to get a small item replaced. I'm getting a neat old NEON sign fixed that has a missing tube about a foot long in the shape of a lightning bolt with two zig-zags done in blue. It's a basic $65 charge just to start the job and then they threw in another $25 in labor on top of it. I know, they have the equipment, glass, gas, miscellaneous parts, overhead, insurance, and shop set up to do it and I don't , BUT !!! , its going to cost me $100 bucks by the time I'm done. Guess I could have said no . However, a lady down the street wants me to weld something up for her. She got two estimates to do the job, and both came in at around $500 . I looked at it and could have it done in a hour . Guess I'll do the job for $250, pay for the NEON and buy three tanks of gas so I can get back and forth to work for three weeks worth of "BREAKS" .
Old 01-27-2005, 06:20:19 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: NEON a bit off topic, but

With neon, I figure its like this,you need or want it and who do you know personaly that will do it for little or free?It aint like geting a tire fixed.There aint a signe shop on every corner.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:29:29 PM
Registered-II

One hundred dollars sounds cheap for a man with a $1500.00 grocery bill. Chip
Old 01-28-2005, 07:19:49 AM
Subscriber

Ed/Chip: Yea, I know there isn't one on every corner. I had a garage clock with a NEON in it fixed 10 years ago someplace else and it was $65. This is a new NEON so $100 bucks isn't so bad today. By the way it was only $1,085.18 gross for the groceries less 40 percent because of in store promotions and coupons that she used. She only spent $653.17 .
Old 01-28-2005, 08:00:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,525 Times in 740 Posts

The price really doesn't sound bad to me for a "lost Art". Anyone capable of doing these repairs wants to make a decent wage, has materials and overhead to cover. If it's a business he didn't make a $100 if you payed him a $100. A man in our club bought a rough casted water pump for a marine engine, sent it to a machine shop to have it finished, 15hrs at $40 per hr=$600. If you can't do your own work, you'll have to pay to have it done.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:45:58 AM
Subscriber

J.B.: I went back to the NEON place this morning, to ask some questions. The boss was really helpful, answered all my questions +, showed me around the interesting shop and things they were working on. He had already started with a completed drawing of what was needed for the glass tubing bender. He loved to talk "NEON" and said Las Vegas is the place for "NEON". A few minutes later, he told the glass tube bender to stop what he was doing and get mine done because he needed it done for me around lunch time. Nice service. Good thing it's pay day. I think I'll work some more O.T. this weekend for more toy's .