Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

durcopump, info neded

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3741 times

Old 01-30-2005, 09:32:45 PM
Registered-III

Default durcopump, info neded

I have a durcompump (Serial: P-4124 size: 1 x 1 type: W7RA46)...I need info for it, 1) under a layer of dark grey paint then light gray paint it is a dark red paint What is the proper color? 2) would a 4 hp kohler be powerful enough to run it? 3) What RPM? 4) the shaft that the pully is on goes into a chamber with bearings to keep the shaft in line, there is a zerk fitting to grease the bearings. The grease will go into the chamber, but the chamber has a drain plug and a filler plug. do i fill it with oil?

Thanks

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2005, 11:33:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: durcopump, info neded

no one knows any thing about this pump?!?

Mac Leod
Old 02-01-2005, 01:17:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts

A photo would help - Could it be a Duro Pump & Mfg. Co. pump? Most of these pumps originally had a 1/4 to 1/3 hp electric motor of 1725 rpm. 1/2 hp air-cooled Stover Duro engines also used. From the numbers it sounds as if your pump may be quite a bit more modern. Do a search For "Duro" in main forum & ads for photos. Spelling counts!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:50:33 AM
Registered-III

Is it a piston pump? I have a Deming and a Myers that both use oil in the "crankcase."
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01:50 AM
Registered-III

It is an impeller pump...The right side on the cast iront you should be able to see a zerk fitting...but on the top of the pump you can just make out a 1/8 pipe plug. when grease is put in the zerk it will go into the "chamber around the shaft". Does this chamber get filled with oil, it is rather large inside or does the grease just fill it up? any idea as to RPM...hope picture works.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...tid=1100&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails
durcopump4engineads.JPG  
Old 02-02-2005, 11:34:35 AM
Registered-III

Is there a seal on the shaft where it comes out of that chamber? If there are plugs that would seem to tell you it should have oil in it. Are there any traces of old oil in it?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:06:16 PM
Registered-III

Yes it is sealed...as to there being oil, wel I am not too sure, I scraped out some (Grease?!? or dried oil, it was full of grit). If grease is put into the zerk fitting it is able to go into the chamber. Should I fill it with oil? any ideas for RPM?

Mac Leod
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57:44 AM
Registered-III

I would put oil in it just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts

Mac,
Most of these impellar pumps ran at 1725 or 3450 rpm to correspond to standard electric motor rpm. It would also take considerably more hp than my above reply which was based on the small reciprocating pump that I thought you had. I would think your 4 hp gas engine at 1800 rpm would be enough. If the shaft is larger than 1 1/8" it might require more hp.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:34:04 AM
Registered-III

the shaft is about 3/4 or a bit larger I think...check tomarrow. got to figure out the belt/pully speed thing, the kohler is ment to run at 4000rpm tops. Hmmm? Think one of my books will have it.

Thanks

Mac Leod
Old 02-04-2005, 12:47:25 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Hey Mac!!! That's just a miniature irrigation pump!!! We are located in the most heavily irrigated County in Wisconsin and we've overhauled MANY of the big ones. The packing gland MAY or may NOT have a grease fitting. If not there is surely a "lantern" ring which is collar with a number of holes in the perifery located midway in the stuffing box to allow water to enter to help seal and lubricate the packings. The bearing housing will DEFINITELY have heavy oil or grease in it. What size is the outlet? Bear in mind that to pump ANYTHING it will have to run at a high speed AND require a fair amount of power. Neat looking little pump!!! Craig
Old 02-04-2005, 12:55:35 AM
Registered-III

craig, there is a grease fitting. no way so far as i can see for the water to get there, I think I will fill the chamber with 90W oil or better. The pump is a 1 inch in 1 inch out..I know of one that is a 14x14 incher...no engine so far as i know

Mac Leod
Old 02-04-2005, 01:06:16 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Don't FILL it!!! There should be an oil level plug somewhere along one side or the other. Believe it or not, OVER lubricated ball bearings heat like a PIG and over greased ball bearings heat even worse at high speeds. It's not like you're gonna irrigate a corn field with it but it's just FYI.
Lay your hands on a "Mark's Handbook" sometime. The information in there is TOTALLY unbelievable! You should be able to find one cheap.
Craig
Old 02-04-2005, 01:10:33 AM
Registered-III

Oh boy, Over lubrication v. under lubrication...just grease the zerk fitting and ignore the chamber with the plug on top and the plug on the side? What is "Mark's Handbook?

Thanks

Mac Leod
Old 02-04-2005, 06:07:40 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Leod
got to figure out the belt/pully speed thing, the kohler is ment to run at 4000rpm tops. Hmmm? Think one of my books will have it.

Thanks

Mac Leod
Mac

Use the formula that I posted on another thread.

D1xS1 (motor)=D2xS2 (pump)

D=diameter
S=speed

Jim
Old 02-04-2005, 11:37:59 PM
Registered-III

well, I need a 4.2 inch belt wheel, "V" type, To get it to run at a maximum of 1800 rpm. That should be easy enough. another question of no great importance: do I leave the paint as it is, or should I strip it and re paint it red? Thanks to every one who replied...I will post a picture when I get it all setup.

Mac Leod
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15:37 PM
Subscriber

This pump is made by the Duriron Pump Co. Hence the name DURCO. They have been bought out and are now known as Flow Serve. This particular pump has a braided packing in the stuffing box, adjustable by evenly tightening the bolts on either side of the packing follower. You can install a mechanical seal in this area also but a new gland would probably have to be used. The bearing housing may be either oil or grease lubricated... hope this helps. Joe
Old 02-06-2005, 02:04:03 PM
Chuck Rich

If this pump were a centrifical fire pump you should adjust the packing gland bolts to allow 8 to 10 drips per minute. This provides cooling and lubing to the packing

This might be of some help to you.

Chuck Rich, Asst. Chief Retired, Crooked River Ranch Oregon RFPD
Old 02-06-2005, 05:00:57 PM
Subscriber

It's a little difficult to generalize, but you won't usually see zerk fittings where oil is the lubricant of choice. Believe it or not, it is common to see zerks on a unit but then find sealed bearings upon disassembly-inspection. You won't know without an accurate pump schematic or a teardown.

That said, some setups like you describe would be greased by taking the top plug out, add grease to the lower zerk until grease appears at the top (removed) pipe plug opening, run a few minutes, then replace the top pipe plug. Performance testing would follow to make sure nothing is getting hot.

Look on the housing for a cast-in arrow which indicates proper rotation of the pump. Most centrifugal pumps, and many others, are designed for only one direction of rotation. Furthermore, if the pump is rotated in the wrong direction, some problems can arise beyond lack of pump performance. For example, if the impellor is threaded onto the pump shaft and the pump is driven in the wrong direction of rotation, the impellor can unscrew, under power, and jam hard up in the housing as it unscrews itself off the shaft at warp-speed. This can cause all manner of damage.

Most pumps I run into (hundreds of 'em) are designed to be mounted on a base plate and driven by an electric motor with S.A.E. standard rotation, ( read: left hand, or anti-clockwise looking at the motor shaft), utilizing three-plane alignment within .003" or better, through a Lovejoy or similar coupling. If this is the case and you intend to drive it with belt and pulley, keep in mind that the pump is likely designed to turn clockwise, looking at the drive shaft end.

You may have to prime it unless there is a positive head on the suction. Before starting for the first time, loosen the packing gland so it drips liberally and after starting, begin to tighten the packing gland nuts gradually and evenly until it just drips a little. Then monitor it to assure that the packing and bearings are not running hot.

There are some general pump guidelines, unless I got it all wrong. LOL !! It is a very beefy looking unit for such a small discharge size and was probably designed to run continuously, 24-7.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:55:31 PM
Registered-III

hello, Joe: "This particular pump has a braided packing in the stuffing box, adjustable by evenly tightening the bolts on either side of the packing follower." I dont quite follow what you mean?!? (Thanks for the info on flow serve and the meaning of durco)

Chuck: "If this pump were a centrifical fire pump you should adjust the packing gland bolts to allow 8 to 10 drips per minute. This provides cooling and lubing to the packing" Again, dont quite follow?!? drips, of oil? From where?

Kid, The bearing is not sealed. I have had it apart enough to see that. it has the arrow, I have is setup so that when te engine/pump are mounted on skids it will be ok. I considered the lovejoy connection, the engine saft is lower than the pump shaft and it would become a pain to get them with in a few thousandths of an inch. I still dont understand the dripping packing gland thing?!?

Thanks for you help!

Mac Leod