Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Domestic 1.5 HP

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 3178 times

Old 01-31-2005, 02:25:51 PM
NJTrackMan

Default Domestic 1.5 HP

A couple of years ago i hauled a 1.5 hp sideshaft Domestic engine out of a barn in south jersey. It had sat since 1939, but the old timer oiled it up and i got it running a half hour after getting it home. Everything is original, and it is on trucks with the original operating instructions, tool box, and buzz box. About how much is it worth. It still has its original red paint under the grease, and i dont want to take it off unless i know the proper way to do so. Are these things rare, and about how much is it worth? I am pretty sure its an early one because of the hopper shape. Thank you for your help! I'd hate to sell it, but im a college boy and could use the money towards other things.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2005, 04:34:53 PM
Dieter Paul

Default Re: Domestic 1.5 Hp

Hi,

Sounds like a nice engine. What is the serial number, and could you email some pictures to me.

I may be interested in getting the engine from you after you establish the price.

Regards
Dieter

( domesticengine.com )
Old 01-31-2005, 05:40:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

If your engine is really rare (don't ask me!), you'll kick yourself in the butt in 10 years if you sell it now.

Flip some burgers and keep your sideshaft Domestic!

That's my 20 mils worth.

Take care - Elden
Old 01-31-2005, 06:50:58 PM
Subscriber

Is it the cast hopper or the stove pipe hopper? I have seen them goes for around $3200 - $3500. I would keep it if I were you.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:53:07 PM
NJTrackMan

Thank you for the responses, i believe i was wrong with the identification. I went to the domestic web site, and i think it is a 2 hp model F engine. The only thing i replaced were the spark wires with new ones. It has the Lonergan oilers. Its one of the smaller hit and miss engines. I tried to post a picture, but the college's scanner doesnt work. Ill see what i can do about that. It also has the original hand crank and the original spark plug. It has a brass tag on it, and from what i remember, it was in the 12,000 range of serial numbers, or maybe 1200. Theres a knife switch on the side of the tool box, but it isnt hooked up, i just ran the thing off of a car jumper pack.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:47:44 PM
NJTrackMan

Default Domestic Engine Picture

Here is the motor and i at my college's tractor show. I had the motor at the show, and my John Deere B High Crop and they won first prize. This picture is in response to the people that wanted to see a picture of the motor. After seeing the brass tag, im sure that it says 1.5 Hp. I would say its in excellent running condition. The only problems the motor has is that it is not in the right timing, my old man tinkered with the nut spacing on the sideshaft, and i think it hits more than it misses. At one point it ran like a true hit and miss, i think its just a timing problem. Also, there is a lil leak in the original fuel line, because one brass nut has a small crack. Other than that it has the original starting directions in the box, along with the original buzz box, spark plug, and hand crank. It also has lonergan oilers made in philly. They also work. This engine was bought from a older man in his 90's. It was his father in laws and he never had seen it run. He got married in 39' so its been in his garage since then. I got it back to my shop and within a half hour it ran on its own power. The head is neat because one valve is only connected to a spring, and nothing else. It also has the original muffler, and a fuel mixer. I will try to post pictures of the engine in as found shape. Im thinking about selling it so that i can buy some other antique machinery. I don't think i appreciate the motor as much as i used to, and there are a bunch of tractors that i would rather own instead. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
Domestic.gif  
Old 01-31-2005, 11:07:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,051 Times in 1,490 Posts
Default Re: Domestic 1.5 HP

AAarrrggghhh! Will some of you "old men" give this young lad a talkin' to.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:01:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

Dear NJ Trackman: I live in Lakewood, NJ and am one of Harrys "OLDER" gentlemen he loosely refers to. If it was a push rod or S/S Stove Pipe it might be worth what a previous post said, If it was a type "A" (igniter) a bit less, and the type "F" (spark plug) which you said it is, somewhat less. With all that said, and the condition you describe it is in, with the original cart, battery box, coil and oilers etc.. I would keep it and sell a tractor or two. In my opinion, the tractors could be replaced more easily than a 1920's engine in nice orginal condition. Now with all that said, if you really need the money, and really want to sell it, check out my web site and then contact me. Just taking a "BREAK" on 3rd. shift and checking out Harry's.

http://www.geocities.com/oldengineon...s/engines.html
Old 02-02-2005, 01:19:08 AM
NJTrackMan

Wow......I didn't think that anyone would collect old equipment in lakewood. I am from Basking Ridge, in Somerset County. I go to the jacktown and kinzers show almost every year. I show my tractors and engines here at my college in Pa. The reason why i don't really want this motor anymore is because its in good shape, and it just isnt fun if you can't fix it. Im afraid of running it. I have other projects, alot of family equipment from the farm that needs to be fixed so this engine doesnt get run much anymore. Plus, there is alot of machinery in the area that will get junked unless i do something about it. Within a couple miles, there are some pretty old and rare tractors, and NOBODY collects old iron up here in central jersey. Theres a 10-20 deering, a unstyled WF orchard allis chalmers in good original shape, a irish fordson in original condition. Theres also a
twin city tractor. Theres also bunches of newer tractors that can be picked up real cheap. I bought a oliver 880 widefront in cokesbury for a hundred and fifty bucks running. I would rather sell the motor, and buy the machines that have more importance to me. I also have a international lb engine and i think an aeromotor that was a relatives. Someone else will enjoy this motor more than i do. Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:34:32 AM
Card Sponsor

Hi NJtrackman,I live in the Flemington /Ringoes area of Hunterdon county.I can tell you that there are quite a few collectors of old iron around here.Don't lose faith you are not alone.Rob
Old 02-02-2005, 01:42:41 AM
NJTrackMan

Yeah theres some in hunterdon, but almost none in somerset county. I go to del val right across the river. Do you ever go to the titusville show? The owners of D&R equipment have an awesome collection. Farms and farmers are sure getting scarce in our neck of the woods!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:44:07 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

PAUL!!!!! The man said John Deere B High Crop. You have NO idea what JD HIGH CROPS are selling for? Let me make this easy....................you'd sell that engine quicker than you can say "Joizy"............................
Old 02-02-2005, 01:45:57 AM
NJTrackMan

I can post a picture of her, she is my baby! Got another 2 that need alot of loving. They were popular for the vegetable farms in NJ. 42's are a pain to find though.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:57:56 PM
NJTrackMan

Default Domestic in as found condition and JD High Crop Pics

Here are some pics of the engine in as found state. It looks grey because the previous owner used to oil it and rotate the motor so nothing got stuck in 60 years. It was in a little shed in the camden area of south jersey. If you know where that is, you would never think a motor would be there. The other pic is of my 1947 JD BNH that i restored. It is one of 28 made. The motor was stuck on this machine on three different occasions. My father and grandfather bought it for the farm in the early 70's to cultivate with. They said that when they bought it it was sitting for many years. It got used for a year or two, and the tires went bad so the machine got parked. This was parked in a shed on the farm for as long as i can remember, and the geese and chickens made a home out of the tractor. This tractor was very close to getting junked. Now i got two more of these high crops to restore, a unstyled anh and another anh. And no, none of them are for sale. Thank you for your time and consideration
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Domestic.bmp (25.3 KB, 239 views)
File Type: bmp Domestic Side View.bmp (26.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: bmp Johnny Popper.bmp (33.1 KB, 191 views)
Old 02-02-2005, 07:51:30 PM

Keep the sideshaft and the hi-crops and sell the LB and aeromotor. And what the h@ll is it you guys in South Jersey are stepping in . Can't seem to find anything like that or deals here in the Northern Part [Warren County]. Or am I looking in all the wrong places
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37:22 PM
NJTrackMan

A buddy of my fathers found the motor for me. I think its probably a once in a lifetime find, but i know of a bunch of machines in northeast somerset county that i can get for almost nothing. Supply exceeds demand, and being pretty much the only farm active in anything in this area has an advantage. There are alot of old time farms that got built up but the barns are still there, so there is some stuff left. Keep looking, there are things all over. I think there are still alot of finds in New Jersey, because nobody knows what it is. They just want the "junk" taken away, and they are happy that they are getting money. One close buddy says there are two old monarch crawlers not too far away. I kid you not i was at old time farm in north jersey closer to the city than us and they had a remarkable collection of stuff. They had a holt 75, one or two best 60's a bunch of cat 30's and 60's and every model smaller. There had to be a dozen cat 10's. My father knew the guy that collected the stuff and he used to rebuild alot D8k's and D9's and just kept on collecting. I am not sure what happened to the stuff now. I would like to go back there one day. Its nice to hear from someone in jersey that has the iron bug.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:29:04 AM
Registered-II

I'll be watching for you to post it in the big engine section. I've been lusting after a Domestic side-shaft for a long time. Who knows, maybe my wife will get it for me for our 25th anniversary. I got my 6hp Fairbanks for my 20th.