Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Mystery Engine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2345 times

Old 02-04-2005, 03:13:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,122 Times in 591 Posts
Default Mystery Engine

A while ago I posted pictures of an unknown upright stationary engine that I thought might be a Goold, Shapley & Muir "Ideal". From responses and pictures received I've pretty much decided that it's not a GS&M. There were suggestions of a London or Hildreth but haven't received any additional info on those engines to form an opinion.

Tonight while browsing through one of my photo albums looking for a picture of an unrelated engine stumbled across a picture that I had taken almost 6 years ago at a museum in Creston, BC. It's almost the spittin' image of the mystery engine and I've got some info recorded on the back of the photo.
"The Sprayer Engine" No. 10237 1 1/2 HP Manufactured by The Bean Spray Pump, San Jose, Calif., Berea, Ohio.

I've emailed the museum to see if I can get additional info such as flywheel diameter, part numbers etc. to see how they compare. In the meantime if anyone has one of these engines would like to hear from you.

Thanks for any assistance in helping me ID this engine.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Bean Spray Pump no. 10237.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2005, 03:53:18 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Mystery Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock
spittin' image of the mystery engine and I've got some info recorded on the back of the photo.
"The Sprayer Engine" No. 10237 1 1/2 HP Manufactured by The Bean Spray Pump, San Jose, Calif., Berea, Ohio.
Hi Bill,
I think you've got an engine that was built for Bean by Novo.

Rob
Old 02-04-2005, 01:43:05 PM
Subscriber

Rob,

The Novo design is similar but part numbers that can be found are different according to what I've been told by the owner of an identical engine who is also trying to ID his engine. According to the information in Wendel's engine bible the Bean Spray Pump Company had factories in Lansing, Mich. as well as the San Jose, Calif. plant and would appear that they built their own engines. Possibly the sprayer company switched to Novo built engines at some point??

Bill
Old 02-04-2005, 11:21:24 PM
2 Engine John

[QUOTE=Bill Sherlock]Rob,

The Novo design is similar but part numbers that can be found are different according to what I've been told by the owner of an identical engine who is also trying to ID his engine. According to the information in Wendel's engine bible the Bean Spray Pump Company had factories in Lansing, Mich. as well as the San Jose, Calif. plant and would appear that they built their own engines. Possibly the sprayer company switched to Novo built engines at some point??

Here is a picture of a plate from an engine that I owned at one time. It had this name plate on one side of the hopper with a Novo decal on the other side, and the cylinder covers both had NOVO cast in them, so not knowing better, I replaced the tag with a repro tag. I have two Novo engines now and have had others, and they all looked the same, except for size and some have a different shape carb/mixer. sorry it's hard to get a good picture when the plate is hard to read and the flash takes up half the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Bean eng. tag.jpg  
Old 02-05-2005, 01:03:09 AM
Subscriber

John,

Thanks for posting the picture of the ID plate of "The Sprayer Engine" manufactured by The Bean Spray Pump Co. It has basically the same information as the tag on the engine at the Creston, BC museum, other than serial number and HP. At the present time I don't know if the engine at the museum has a Novo decal or Novo name cast into the hand hole covers.

Would it be asking too much to have you advise the part numbers on the fuel pump and governor weight on your Novo engines ( 2 1/2 HP). The numbers on the mystery engine are J40AV - fuel pump; J40MA - governor weight;
J40RE - mixer (carb)

Bill
Old 02-05-2005, 04:16:43 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Rob,
Hi Bill,
I don't know the answer to your question off the top of my head. Our Bean orchard sprayer has an engine with a Bean tag and access covers with the Novo insignia.

Rob
Old 02-05-2005, 10:55:04 AM
2 Engine John

Quote:
John,

Thanks for posting the picture of the ID plate of "The Sprayer Engine" manufactured by The Bean Spray Pump Co. It has basically the same information as the tag on the engine at the Creston, BC museum, other than serial number and HP. At the present time I don't know if the engine at the museum has a Novo decal or Novo name cast into the hand hole covers.

Would it be asking too much to have you advise the part numbers on the fuel pump and governor weight on your Novo engines ( 2 1/2 HP). The numbers on the mystery engine are J40AV - fuel pump; J40MA - governor weight;
J40RE - mixer (carb)

Bill
Bill, I no longer own this engine, however I think I can get the information for you. It may take a couple days. When I do I will post it here. John
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46:25 PM
2 Engine John

J40RE - mixer (carb)

Bill
I checked with the new owner of this engine about the part numbers. He checked and all the part numbers start with 2 -S except the Carb/mixer and it's 4S. None start with a J. So I guess I'm not much help!! John
Old 02-07-2005, 04:21:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanks John, looks like I can eliminate Bean Spray Pump Co. and likely Novo from my list of possibilities.

Bill
Old 02-07-2005, 05:53:58 PM
Chris Curtis

A friend of mine is currently restoring an engine that looks just like yours. His has Novo cast into the access covers and a square brass tag on the hopper that says "Novo Engine manufactured for the Bean Spray pump Company". and also includes the Bean companys address . This leaves little doubt in my mind that Novo Supplied engines to Bean. I don't know that Bean ever built there very own engine.