Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

1-1/2hp M fuel pump issues

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2022 times

Old 02-04-2005, 06:50:30 PM
Jim Scott

Default 1-1/2hp M fuel pump issues

i need help with a 11/2hp m fuel pump. it is the pot metal one with the two ears. it has a cup that sits on the packing. is the packing suppose to be inside the cup or is the cup just suppose to sit on the packing? i can get this engine to run by filling the carb,but while it is running out the carb the gas is coming out around the pump shaft. i have oiled up the packing,and checked the two check balls.i have replaced all gas lines. thanks jim
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2005, 08:52:35 PM
Jerry McGinnis

Default Re: 11/2hp m fuel pump issues

Jim:the Packing Goes Inside The Barrel Around The Shaft The Cup Rides On Top Of The Packing ,the Spring On Top Of The Cup Compress The Packing. Hope This Helps.a Good Packing Is Cotton Mop String Soaked With Soft Soap,
Jerry Mcginnis
Nc.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:36:57 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Default Re: 1-1/2hp M fuel pump issues

And if the pump plunger is worn you won't seal it to save your a...........behind!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:50:55 AM
In Memory Of

Default Re: 11/2hp m fuel pump issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry McGinnis
Jim:the Packing Goes Inside The Barrel Around The Shaft The Cup Rides On Top Of The Packing ,the Spring On Top Of The Cup Compress The Packing. Hope This Helps.a Good Packing Is Cotton Mop String Soaked With Soft Soap,
Jerry Mcginnis
Nc.
Just like that and it always works for me at least the last 15 years. See the picture how it sits.
Attached Thumbnails
plunger packing.jpg  
Old 02-05-2005, 12:22:50 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scott
i need help with a 11/2hp m fuel pump. it is the pot metal one with the two ears. it has a cup that sits on the packing. is the packing suppose to be inside the cup or is the cup just suppose to sit on the packing? i can get this engine to run by filling the carb,but while it is running out the carb the gas is coming out around the pump shaft. i have oiled up the packing,and checked the two check balls.i have replaced all gas lines. thanks jim
Jim, Take the plunger out and lay a straight edge against it. If the straight edge don't touch the side from end to end this will indicate that there is too much wear on the shaft, If this is the case the packing always stays the same diameter, Thereby, when the plunger is near the center of it's up and down movement the packing is not touching the shaft,allowing gas to run by. As someone said earlier A new plunger in in order, I had the same problem with a pump on a F.M. I would replace the packing, It would run a little while then began to leak. I replaced the brass shaft and BINGO, no more leaking. I hope this will help a little, Good luck in a good hobby Joe Morris
Old 02-05-2005, 04:19:09 PM
In Memory Of

Another option for leaking packings is to turn a few grooves and place some O-rings on the plunger. This will also work very good, but in case your pump is badly worn out, nothing will help. Then you have two choices, a new pump or repair the bore with a matching plunger.
Attached Thumbnails
Oringsealing.jpg  
Old 02-05-2005, 08:20:46 PM
Jim Scott

i had checked the fuel pump shaft for pits but i did not check for straightness.i took it apart again and did the straight edge idea and it is really bent.i will replace the shaft and try again with the cotton mop packing idea. thanks to all for the ideas and information.im sure i will be picking your brains on other engines i have to work on. thanks again, jim!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:40:35 AM
Registered-I

Thanx guys - just the help I needed!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:45:50 PM
Jim Scott

Smile 1 1/2m fuel pump followup

i want to thank all the people with advice on my fuel pump problems. i replaced the fuel pump rod and purchased a cotton mop head and some soft soap, put it back together and she runs. it runs a little rich but i think i can remedy that. thanks again. jim scott