Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Weekend Bummer

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2121 times

Old 02-07-2005, 01:38:36 PM
Chris Curtis

Default Weekend Bummer

Spent Sunday afternoon with Dad driving around the middle of nowhere looking for old iron. While traveling down an unmaintained dirt road Dad makes a comment about an interesting old oil well. I spotted it in the trees and slammed on the breaks. I could see the cable running through the woods to a little shed. "HOLY CRAP DAD, THATS A POWER HOUSE!" I cannot remember the last time I was this excited. Dad said we would have to come back when we had some coveralls and boots, but I couldn't stand it and headed into the woods in my tennis shoes. As I crossed the 200 or so yards I counted 7 pumps all with cables leading to the shed. For the first time I knew how you guys feel when you find this stuff and I could only imagine what treasure was in the little building. Made it to the shed, looked in and....... D@#*! Someone beat me to it! There sat a really nice complete power with all the cables still attached and old timbers where the engine used to be. So in the end all I have is muddy shoes and lots of scratches from briars. It was still fun hunting and it wet my appetite for next show season. I also plan on finding out who owns that land because there are probably more in the area and someone has to know where or at laest what happened to them.
Whew! Been waiting all morning to tell that story, and yes, I do feel better now!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2005, 02:39:33 PM
Email Not Working

Default Re: Weekend Bummer

Yeah it sucks when that happens. Its still exciting though, to find a powerhouse or old standard rig.

Zach

Williams Family Oilfield Engines and Equipment
Old 02-08-2005, 09:33:16 PM
Registered-II

Ah the hunt for old iron. I am a front end tech at a local auto shop. I just had a old and very good customer in the other day. I was working on his truck and he asked do you still mess around with old hopper cooled engines? O ya i said just was trying to get the gibb key out of a 1 1/2 hp ih last weekend. Well he said i have a old international engine out in my chicken coop are you interested? What could i say but sure and he said theres an old john deere in the barn not sure if its all there, if you want them ill haul them in to you. At that point i said i will come out and pick them up, nope got a tractor with a loader and a grandson i will bring them. Im not sure what they will be but any old iron is good in my book cant wait till he can get to them
Old 02-08-2005, 10:53:06 PM
Registered-III

I just can't seem to figure you guys out. I don't know if it's an Eastern thing or what, but I keep reading about you guys that find engines, powerhouses, or whatever and you go right up to them and look them over. Then you mention that you're going to try to find out who the owner is and inquire. You are actually BRAGGING about trespassing. You do not belong on that land until you find out who the owner is and ask their permission FIRST. We bought some land back from the railroad after the railroad went bankrupt and my brother and I planted corn, milo, sorghum, sunflowers, and other seed for food and cover for wildlife. We hung our No Trespassing signs up all over and yet there were always people from the city trespassing on our land when they were rabbit and pheasant hunting. They even had the gall to shoot and tear down our No Trespassing signs. What you are doing by just entering someone else's land to look at an engine or powerhouse is no different. You do NOT belong there without the permission of the owner. We have had several people arrested and fined for trespassing on our land. You guys should learn to respect others and their property. If you see an engine while you're driving down the road, make note of it, drive down the road until you come across a house, and stop in and ask the people that live there if they know who the owner of the property that the engine was on is. I'm a pretty easy-going fellow, but I have NO tolerance for people that knowingly enter someone's property without their permission. It's not a matter of me being old fashioned, it's a matter of being RESPECTFUL of the property owner.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:10:31 AM
Registered-II

Ironman, I agree with you! Several years ago I was sitting in the house watching the tube one evening. Our dogs started going nuts and I looked out the window to see 2 flashlights moving down along our creek. I went outside and yelled and the flashlights changed direction. I went down and waited near the creek. Soon 2 guys and several dogs came up out of the creek. They had been hunting coons and claimed to have permission from the neighbor. I pointed out to them that once they crossed the fence that they were no longer on the neighbor's land. One of them claimed to be a deputy sheriff and the other a cop in a nearby town. I mentioned that law officers ought to know about trespassing. The only funny thing about the whole deal was that while I was confronting them about their trespassing, my mutt dog was humpin' one of their coon hounds. I kinda' hope they ended up with a litter of mutt pups. The sad thing is that I would have let them hunt if they only would have asked first. I will probably never find an old engine in the wild because I don't wander around on other people's land unless I have permission.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20:54 AM
Email Not Working

People arnt that up-tight around here. Must be an EASTERN THING. If people couldn't roam a little then nobody would find any engines. Most engines are in the middle of nowhere, unlike the cornfields out in the west. You can find an engine and drive for a long time without seeing anything but mud road, and trees, no houses around to ask. Nothing but hills around here, and usually an engine is owned by an oil company and most of them dont care, unless you steal something of course. Other times people just know who owns some stuff, and then go and look. And other times engines are on large tracts of timber land owned by companies like GP or WesVaco.

Not saying trespassing isnt illegal, but it all depends on the context.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:45:09 AM
Registered-III

Well, I don't know about people not being uptight out here. I live just across the river from West Virginia and if you come tramping around this farm without permission you're liable to get a load of rocksalt. Wouldn't be the first, and more than likely not the last. And I know quite a few in West Virginia that will definitely dust your hide if they catch you. I also happen to know that Wesvaco, because of liability, will bust up engines and take to the scrapyard rather than let someone have them. Happened to a friend of mine that saw them busting them up and tried to get them. Trespassing is trespassing, no matter what you're looking at. Try losing a calf because some idiot put an arrow in it during hunting season and you'll know why I don't hold with trespassing. Because of a few who won't obey the law, I no longer allow ANY hunting here that's not family. Those on here that know me know I'm a friendly person, but there's a limit to what I will put up with. David.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:32:20 AM
Email Not Working

We have bought engines that were on WesVaco land......

Most are owned by oil companies that have leases on Wesvaco.

Lets not make this a flame post.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:31:13 AM
Chris Curtis

I'm sorry that some of you guys have to live in areas where you seem to fear each other. In my town many people don't lock doors, we plow each other others driveways without being asked or asking to do so, if the neighbors cow gets out we all pitch in to catch it and mend the fence even if hes not home and local farmers will offer you lunch for hunting groundhogs on their land. Tresspassing isn't really an issue of respect. The respect part is how you treat the land your on more than an issue of who owns it. Yes, if someone is being stupid and doing damage then they should expect to be shot at, but in this area it has not been a problem and most folks will leave an area better than they found it. Sunday Dad and I drove dirt roads for three hours and saw two houses one of which was abandoned. The only problem we anticipated all day was that we would meet a new friend and get home late for dinner. Thats how it is here and I hope it stays that way. As for the other parts of the country, I will certainly remember to stay on the road when traveling in hostile territory.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:00:45 AM
Registered-II

Wow the hunt for old iron is getting dangerous. Yes i agree you shouldnt tresspass but i think its said let he without sin cast the first stone. Well time to shovel snow.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:34:47 PM
Registered-II

Funny how times have changed.As a boy I hunted and fished and rambled around and no one really cared as long as you closed the gates.It wasn't until the "back to the country" crowd came in that things began to change.Posted signs on every tree and "insecurity lights" to light up the dark,security gates across the driveway.It is however, their property and I do respect it.While I don't want people going through my barn without my permission,I don't care a bit for anybody walking across my pastures and when I hear them coon dogs running through my creek bottom I'm usually just sorry I'm not there with them.I guess things must be different in different places. Zach and Chris,I know what ya'll mean.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:01:50 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

It's true that trespassing is illegal no matter what. However even legally there are different designations based upon what they think the intent is.
It doesn't make it right for a guy to trespass on your land to look at something just because he wouldn't steal it. But how do you know if he would or not? BUT: I say there is a difference between a guy hunting deer on your property or LOOKING at deer on your property. Noone ever lost a calf from a photographer. It doesn't make it right to look in someone's power house without permission. But him doing that doesn't endanger you the way a guy hunting could potentially endanger you.
If you disagree with that, just try shooting someone breaking in your house who is unarmed. It will go a lot better for you if you shoot an ARMED man in your home than an unarmed man. Intent is a factor in the law. Although I do agree it's indefensible to "look" without permission. Kevin
Old 02-10-2005, 01:50:48 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

All I got to say is armed or not you break into my house and they wont need to take ya to the hospital.If the the dogs get ya they wont even need to take ya anywhere!If its posted then you have no bussiness on that property!If I go to the trouble to put up the sign I will go to the trouble to make sure ya dont come back. on A lighter side of this alot of it is insurance driven more then the owner. Around here alot of farmers would let the hunters in till the insurance co. started raising hell because some dumb s.o.b. shot himself and tryied to sue or they thought all 4 legged critters were deer!BobRR