Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Running on Naptha

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2700 times

Old 02-14-2005, 02:14:44 PM
Registered-III

Default Running on Naptha

I'm thinking about running my engines on naptha or coleman fuel and was wondering if they will start harder being it's a lower octane fuel? Do you guys running naptha start them on gasoline? I've read past threads on naptha/lantern fuel and it sounds like the way to go. I was at a show last summer and a guy was running kerosene in a FM-B. I asked him why? And he said just to be different. I'm guesing it was a K-1 kerosene because it burned clean and had a sweet smell. He also said it burned a little hotter so he had to add water more often. Any of you other guys running kerosene?

Erik Grund
Bloomington, MN
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 04:08:56 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Running on Naptha

I have tried Kerosene, diesel fuel, coleman fuel, several different octanes of plain gasoline, and propane in my M and they all ran with some succes. But the diesel fuel smoked like you wouldn't believe
Joe M.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:53:40 PM
In Memory Of

I run them all on a mix of 6 parts kerosene and 4 parts unleaded gasoline. They will run nice and quitely and there isn't much smoke either. But running a six horse on propane it sounds like a sewing-machine, when you have good air and propane controls you can make 75-80 revolutions.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:13:49 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,590 Times in 846 Posts

Your engine should start easier on Coleman fuel because of the low octane. Octane is a measure of a fuel's resistance to knock, higher octane=less knock(volatility). This means the fuel is harder to ignite initially. I personally like to use Coleman fuel because it has fewer impurities than gasoline and burns cleaner. Your mileage may vary, Mike.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:22:35 PM
Sponsor

I have never had luck starting'em on kerosene partly because the climate is chilly here. Pretty much have to start on gasoline and switch to kero when hot. But I'm getting allergic to the smell of kero, and of course the gasoline isn't what it used to be. I'm planning to run all of the show engines on Naphtha this year, once the fuel tanks have been cleaned out and restored.
I'll still use gasoline in work engines, taking care to completely drain the tanks before storage.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:14:23 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,100 Times in 1,504 Posts

Eric, Coleman lantern fuel is OK to run in your engines. Octane is about 55 and it doesn't go bad. Mix a little WD-40 or Marvel Mystery Oil with it for lube. Doesn't take much, about 1 or 2 table spoons per gal. Old engines where run on gas that had a octane of about 38 to 40 before WWII. After the war they learned how to crack gas instead of distilling. That's why we don't call it distillates anymore. The newer process and additives raised the octane. The old motors don't have a high compression ratio, so the lower octane is alright. Oh, forgot to say that lantern fuel will clean a few impurities out of the fuel system so be careful, and the new process to crack gas was invented here in Indiana. Some time when you are around the Lafayette area give me a call so we can talk Purdue, IU stories. B. Knight has been hunting at my Dad's farm. Maybe even engine stories.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:08:51 PM
Registered-II

I,ll tell ya John when I had the 6 M. runnin on propane it was definitley quiet and I did not have a muffler on it then. I recently got a muffler for it and I am thinking of setting it up for propane again to see what it sounds like with it on. BTW John where can I find a book that lists the accesories the M.s came with my book only has the basic engine and does not list the hay press parts or horse drawn cart parts Joe M.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:56:33 AM
In Memory Of

Hey Joe, you need to find an original parts book for the M's. Attached a picture of the cover. The book and manuals traders at shows or swapmeets have them sometimes, but a book about a haypress is a different story I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
EC-1-A.jpg  
Old 02-20-2005, 02:55:20 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts
Exclamation Re: Running on Naptha

As a point of information, Coleman fuel does go bad, especially in containers that are open to the atmosphere. This means your fuel tank! In a closed, sealed container, like the original fuel can, or the Coleman lanterns and stoves, it seems to last forever, however in an open container, it is a different story. Coleman fuel will evaporate slowly, and leaves a nasty gummy residue that does not disolve easily with solvents, Even worse, Colemans is hydroscopic - it likes to attract moisture from the air! This absorbed water reacts with the fuel and will rust the h--l out of a steel fuel tank over time, especially in humid cool areas. Also, due to this water attraction, you should be sure to shut off the engine by turning off the fuel. This will clean off most of the fuel in the intake tract to prevent rust in the intake passage, valves and the engine cylender. Hopefully it will also drain out the carb, so as to prevent corrosion within the carb as well.
Andrew
Old 02-20-2005, 04:03:30 PM
Subscriber

John, I have the same copy of the manual you are showing (Original). Can,t remember what I gave for it. What are they worth??
Old 02-20-2005, 05:34:32 PM
In Memory Of

It depends how much someone it needs. As you can see in the picture I had to pay $28 for it, but that was 10 years ago. I would say the best price you can get is at eBay these days.