Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

My 2 Cents on shows

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2042 times

Old 02-16-2005, 10:35:03 PM
Registered-II

Default My 2 Cents on shows

I know I dont get to talk much on this site but I read a lot. I show at Old Thershers in Mt Pleasent IA. Its one of the biggest shows in the midwest. I abide by their rules. There are at least 425 tractors each year and a lot with rubber tires. You see there is alot of younger people out there that hasnt seen a 1940 or 50 tractor. Those are just as important as steel wheeled tractors in their eyes. We have around 75 traction engines each year and you're more than welcome to get close to them, dont be afraid to ask for a ride. We usally have around 700 gas engines here. At our display we have 10 gas engines, around 15 antique outboards and water pumps and pump jacks which we try to have at least 5 engines running at all times or if the show is going strong we get all the gas enignes running and all the water pumps and 1 out board, only have 1 tank for the outboards. We have to pay the admission to get in dont mind that because they let us camp free. It burns my butt that somebody will bring a old push mower that dosnt run and they dont stay at their site still camps free. We have lost most of our gas engine vendors due to high costs darn. I have been to other small shows and they are more relaxed. I used to take an old riding mower to ride back to the camper at night but they said no more lawn mowers I respect that. Theres a lot of nice people that show here and if you want to come to 1 of the biggest shows in the midwest please do. Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2005, 04:14:55 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: My 2 Cents on shows

Bob is sure right about this show. You should plan to take two days there at least to take your time. At noon all or most of the steam traction engines let loose on their whistles. Unbeliveable sound. They have dyno fan load areas for the steam engines. I stood between engines at throttle I was spell bound for an hour. The tractors are all the ones we grew up with and then those previous to that. Took my brother for the first time and he is hooked. Tried to meet you Bob but got lost in the shuffle with all that goes on! See you this summer.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20:39 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I'm 3 hours west of Omaha and my neighbor goes to Mt. Pleasant quite a bit.
Last year my wife even talked about us going for the first time. Man I gotta love her! Maybe this year we'll make it. Kevin
Old 02-17-2005, 09:54:59 PM
Email Not Working

I went to mt pleasant last year with 3 le rois AND HAD A BALL. one of our sons lives there so that helped. I have been there several times but that was the first time to show and i plan on going back next year.I was the only one with le rois and almost lost my voice answering questions. Everybody was super helpful and friendly which goes a long way. ed the le roi man
Old 02-18-2005, 09:23:50 AM
Subscriber

Angry Re: My 2 Cents on shows

My wife and I sold at Mt. Pleasant for over 30 yrs and showed there for about 16 yrs. We had a large eng. display and showed large engines. It was a lot of work every year hauling it all down and all back again. We enjoyed doing it and thought we were helping make a good show. Not once in all those years did anyone of the people running the show ever come around and say thanks for coming or glad you made it back, or can we help you in any way.However we did meet a lot of nice people at the show and that made it all worth while.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:14:23 PM
Registered-II

Harold your right we have shown a big display there for several years we have never gotten a thank you guys running the gas engine area. Its alot of work getting everything there set up and keep it going. We feel like we have a nice diverse display and the payoff for us is when you hear some say my dad used to have one of those or what in the world was that used for. You really do get to meet some of nices people there. Ill still keep going for now maybe sometime i might hear thanks for showing this year see ya next year.Till then hope to see all my friends there this year and make some new ones.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:09:05 AM
Registered-II

Ive never been to portland but want to make the trip someday.If you have never been to old threshers in Mt Pleasent Iowa i say you should go. At least check there web site its great.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:35:55 AM
Registered-III

Been to Mt. Pleasant once, can't say I will ever return though. Been to Portland at least 7 times, can't say I will ever stop returning. If you into engines you need to go to Portland, Mt Pleasant is a good place for steam engines but I was very unimpressed with the layout and rules of the gas engine section. The Portland show makes you feel welcomed. You camp for free, that includes water and eletricity and you show for free. Their Campground bathrooms are kept clean. You display your engines in an area that for the most part is full of very old large shade trees and the ground is basicly flat, no hills to climb. The swap and selling area rivials all. The whole town of Portland welcomes you with discounts and freebee's. This town goes out of it way for show go'ers.