Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Hello to all, Need info on skid sealer

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1119 times

Old 02-18-2005, 07:27:45 AM
Registered-II

Talking Hello to all, Need info on skid sealer

Hello, I am new to the hobby and thanks to all the information I have gotten from these pages I now have two great running engines and am working on my third . I have a 1925 McCormick-Deering M 1 1/2hp, a 1926 John Deere E 1 1/2hp and a 1925 Stover KA 2hp (which has yet to be completed). I have silently set back and read a lot of posts on here and have absorbed a great deal of info, but the one thing I have yet to figure out satisfactorily is what to put on the wood of the new skids I am building, for each engine, to protect them from the oil and gas that will undoubtedly leak from my engines, especially the JD. Any help that you all can give me will be greatly appreciated. As a special note I don't want to paint the skids but leave them the natural oak color, I know that to be true to each engine they should be painted in most cases but personally I would rather not. Once again I would like to give a great deal of thanks to all who have posted info on here and to Harry for providing all of us with this great site to learn from.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2005, 08:17:42 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Hello to all, Need info on skid sealer

David, I use Minwax Marine Polurathane which repels gas and oil. Benny
Old 02-18-2005, 08:27:39 AM
Registered-III

David~

Polurathane here as well. I use white oak for my skids and a light quick coat of walnut stain to give the oak a nice golden glow and then 3 coats fo poly, the first two rubbed down with fine steel wool after they dry. Seems to work great for me.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:25:41 AM
Registered-III

Hi David,

I recently built a cart and Skids out of rough cut hardwood from pallets, I don't know exactly what kind of wood they were cut from but I wanted them to look old and original as the cast iron wheels and bolsters were old and the 1 1/2 hp Waterloo Boy engine was in unpainted condition with vertually no original finish.

I went to my supply of very well used and very black drained engine oil which I painted several coates of all over the complete project. I will probably give it several more coats of black oil in the future.

This gave the wood some protection from just about everything and made it look like it is an original cart. Now if some gas or oil gets onto the skids who will ever know.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-348S.JPG  
Old 02-18-2005, 09:47:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,144 Posts

If money is no object, Use automotive clearcoat...It's expensive! 'bout $250.00 a gallon including the activator and thinner But a gallon goes a LONNNNNG way. I also use it after I sand blast any cast iron as a sealer..Spray a light coat on the cast, and it soaks in and seals it FOREVER against the elements..All you gotta do then is watersand it with some thousand grit, and spray your color...Nice sealer/primer, but a little pricey! ... It works just as well on wood skids...Stain the wood, then go over it with some double ought steel wool, and spray it with the clear..Makes it imperviuos to gas, oil, water and speeding bullets.

David M.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:56:15 PM
Sponsor

I use regular fiberglass resin. Just forget the fiberglass. You can get it at the hardware store, and it's not expensive. Brush it on with a throw away brush, for you only have a short time after mixing. I will take gas and oil without a problem.