Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Setup/starting Inst. For Fm Z Style C

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1515 times

Old 02-24-2005, 12:55:17 PM
Registered-III

Question Setup/starting Inst. For Fm Z Style C

Help! We jumped before we looked, and we are to pick up a FM Z style C 3 hp. this weekend. We have never had a "big"engine, just Briggs, Wisconsin etc. I know we will need to find an owners manual but can anyone help in the short term with some setup and starting insructions? We know it is throttle governed and it is supposed to be a runner. Auctions are made just for getting guys in trouble........Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thnks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2005, 06:16:29 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Setup/starting Inst. For Fm Z Style C

Well. basically if there are NO problems to confront, You Pull the flywheels up on Compression Stroke, OPEN the GAS NEEDLE VALVE ONE turn Open CCW, Then pull the engine through Compression, While Holding your hand OVER the Carburetor Air Inlet (Very Impt), then next Pull upon compression, Snap over , when it Fires (Hopefully)...... close the gas valve "HALF" Or to where it Runs without anY black smoke or without running too lean (No GAS) Hope this will do it. Larry
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16:31 PM
Registered-III

I would find out how to check the oil level first. And if you do start it just run it a short time before removing the crank case cover to check the lubrication.

Nothing worse than having a good engine turn bad because you were in to much of a hurry to make sure everything was ok before going forward.

I'm sorry I don't have any first hand information that I can share on this specific engine as all of my Fairbanks Morse engines are open crank except the Eclipse that I am working on now.

I got It running for a short time but now I intend to open it up to make sure everything is ok on the inside before I declare it restored to running.

Dick
Old 02-24-2005, 10:46:37 PM
Registered-III

good point on the oil/lube, Be just like me to try and crank it up, then think of it. Thanks!!
Peter
Old 02-25-2005, 11:11:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

If your ZC-52 (3 HP) has the magneto, you will have to crank it to get enough speed for the mag to fire.

You can get it spinning easier if you hold the intake valve open to relieve compression. After it's spinning, release the intake valve. Then, with the fuel needle open about a turn, put your other hand over the air intake for a couple of cycles or 'til the engine fires.

This is one of the engines that has to be cranked because of the non-impulse magneto.

If you rig up battery ignition, be sure to hold the intake open when cranking 'til it gets a little speed on it. Then release the intake valve and it should take off. Either that or leave the ignition off 'til it gets some speed then turn it on. This is because, like most flywheel engines, the timing is set to fire 15 degrees before top dead center and it will kick back if turned slowly.

Now if, like mine, you use battery ignition and have a means of retarding the spark to a little after TDC, you can prime it and just gently pull over a flywheel to start it. When it's in the mood to run right, the ZC-52 is impressive to start. Remember to not brag on it too much because it will make a liar out of you.

Take care - Elden
Old 03-02-2005, 07:53:01 PM
Registered-III

Talking Re: Setup/starting Inst. For Fm Z Style C

Thanks everyone for the help!! We picked up our engine and brought it home. Checked oil and made sure everything was free and gave it a good spin, guess what, she fired up on the first try. Now to get the hang of it and fix the little things.
thanks again,
Peter
Old 03-10-2005, 01:22:29 PM
Registered-III

Here's a photo of our FM. Our first flywheel engine.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
engines 3 008.jpg