Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Up coming weekend,

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1609 times

Old 02-28-2005, 05:35:16 PM
Registered-II

Default Up coming weekend,

On Friday the 4th, my wife and I are flying into Detroit. We will be staying in Flint, Michigan until the 8th at which time we will be returning back home to Oregon. Not exactly sure of how much extra time I will have, but I was looking for suggestions on places in that vicinity to see antique engines. Not a bit interested in seeing a city or any other city type stuff.
Thank you
Ken
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2005, 05:46:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Up coming weekend,

Doesn't look like Flint is too far(?) from Dearborn, on the edge of Detroit. If you've never been to the Henry Ford Museum and have a day to look I highly recommend it. If you only have one day forget Greenfield Village and visit the museum.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:02:34 PM
Sponsor

here is the web site for the Henry Ford Museum and the Greenfield Village.
http://www.hfmgv.org/
Old 02-28-2005, 06:30:01 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,936 Times in 516 Posts

I agree with Leonard, Henry Ford Museum has alot of really neat stuff there.

Tom Winland
Old 02-28-2005, 07:36:46 PM
Registered-III

They are both excellent. Here is an example from the Wright Bros bicycle and machine shop in the village. This engine was custom built by them to power a small line shaft. Due to CRS, I think there was a drill press and a lathe.

The white strip at bottom is a guard rail I had to reach over for the pic. It is blocking the place where I think the hot tube goes. Someone has placed it over the valve access. Another interesting thing is the lack of a half shaft. The exhaust valve is operated by some type of alternate acting cam on the crankshaft. Maybe someone can explain how.
Attached Thumbnails
wrightbros.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph Leonard; 02-28-2005 at 07:53:18 PM. Reason: Hot tube chimney
Old 02-28-2005, 09:28:50 PM
Registered-III

They are all correct. My wife and I spent 3 days in Dearborn a couple of years ago and we have agreed to go back again soon when we can spend a week seeing the museum and the village again and this time the Ford Auto Museum that we didn't have time to see last time.

We went in the fall which was a little late to see the volunteers who show all of the many actual relocated and restored sites that Henry Ford collected and saved back before anyone saw any value in saving them.

Much is said about Henry Ford by the modern liberal rewriters of history but he was truly a visionary in more ways than one. He certainly did save much of the early history of the industrial revolution and his heart was in the right place most of the time.

Like all of us some times he was wrong about things and he was certainly very opinionated. He was criticised for being nieve by sending a Peace Ship to Europe to bring about World Peace, but he was at least trying to bring about peace while many of his critics did nothing.

When the real history is written, usually a hundred or more years after those who lived it are dead, I believe Henry Ford will be recognised as one of the truly great men of his day.

Dick