Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Old Ice Plant compressors

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2149 times

Old 03-02-2005, 10:51:49 AM
Subscriber

Default Old Ice Plant compressors

I been offered 4 old Ice plant compressors that are huge with flat flywheels and powered by 75 hp elect motors . brands of the compressors ; frick,CP, York, and Vinton . Also one of the elect motors was made by Allis Chamillers.These units are in old building thats coming down and will require a lot of labor,time ,money to get .What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2005, 11:28:59 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Old Ice Plant compressors

If you can get them for taking them out, go for it. There is a market for the inside parts & the cases. The motor is junk. I made things cold for 35 years
Old 03-03-2005, 12:15:34 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,483 Times in 195 Posts

You might find an Allis buff who would be glad to have that motor but it sounds pretty big! Bill Klein
Old 03-03-2005, 03:26:03 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts
Exclamation Re: Old Ice Plant compressors

Most of the older systems were Ammonia refridgerant. Dangerous stuff to breathe. BE CAREFUL!!! If the units are Freon units (R-12 - rare, R22,501 or other), it will cost you to have them evacuated. Please don't dump flouromethanes into the atmosphere- the Ozone layer is in bad enough shape! for instance, R-12 eats 100 times its weight in ozone! . Sounde like a lot of cool stuff!
Andrew
Old 03-03-2005, 02:11:41 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs down Re: Ozone Layer

This may not be the time or place and I am not trying to get into a green debate nor do I support the intentional release of freon into the atmosphere but the theory that chlorofluorocarbons are destroying the atmosphere is a total crock. Just follow the money. When Mt Pinatubo, Philippines erupted on June 15th 1991 it released more chlorofluorocarbons at once than every refrigeration system created in the history of man. The ozone layer is still there and last summer here in central Ohio we had "ozone alerts" due to "High concentrations of ozone" in the atmosphere. People with asthema were warned "Stay in your House!" The study of "The Ozone Hole" is quite young. My question for the so called scientist is When wasn't there a hole???

***UPDATE***

I do stand corrcted here. Mt Pinatubo did not release chlorofluorocarbons, it was actually "ozone-depleting chemicals", the next best thing. SO I will quote some one smarter than I:

"Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines spewed forth more than a thousand times the amount of ozone-depleting chemicals in one eruption than all the fluorocarbons manufactured by wicked, diabolical, and insensitive corporations in history. So much so that respected scientists now say that a 4 percent to 6 percent ozone loss could -- could, but may not -- occur over the Northern Hemisphere in the next two or three years... volcanoes have been doing this for 4 billion years. And guess what? We still have a healthy ozone layer!"

Last edited by Keith Smigle; 03-04-2005 at 08:36:14 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-03-2005, 08:07:07 PM
Registered-II

Yes Keith, I agree. I have read from reliable sources that where the ozone is indeed thin, that thinning began long before chlorofluorocarbons were used. Read the MSDS on R134. Exposer could cause testicle cancer. I personally believe neither the ozone or cancer warning has ever been proven.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:19:27 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts

When Mt. Pinatubo blew up, the greenhouse damage came from massive amounts of dust and sulfurous gases-like sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. The same type of material released when Mt St Helens blew its top, here in the US. Of course we have no possibility of changing the result of these disasters, but we can control the freon releases. As for the ammonia - exposure to concentrated gasseous amonia can be lethal! Anhydrous Ammonia is nasty stuff to inhale. I mentioned it because it was the most common refridgerent into the '40s. You must be careful letting any refridgerent off pressure!
Andrew
Old 03-04-2005, 02:43:50 AM
Subscriber

Not a whole lot of knowlegeable refrigeration engineers debate the science of the ozone damage, but a lot of other types do, I guess. It was pretty convenient in the "good old days" to just open your system up and let the refrigerant piddle away, since it was so cheap. It was too good to be true, though. Besides, even then, a good reefer guy could find a place to hold the refrigerant without wasting it, cheap or not.

Of course with NH-3, it stinks too much to do that and always did. It is a fine refrigerant but probably shouldn't be messed with if you're not up on refrigeration. Take a shot of liquid in the eye and it will be more than just cold. You'll get a chemical burn as well. Heck, on your fingertip is bad enough.

As if that ain't enough, in the "really, really good old days", two of the big refrigerants besides NH-3 were sulpher dioxide and methylene chloride. Methylene chloride is the active chemical in typical paint remover. It is a gas that really burns the skin, don't you know.

Oh well, giant reefer compressors are fun to work on and look at when they belong to someone else, are located at their place and worked on with someone elses money. Some of the real old compressors used a variety of greasers and oilers that you might salvage in the event the compressors are scrapped. Keep it cool.........daddy-o.