Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

OT-Tool Post Grinder

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3234 times

Old 03-05-2005, 11:57:39 AM
Subscriber

Default OT-Tool Post Grinder

I want to build a tool post grinder for our lathe. Does anyone have some photos or ideas they can send ???? This will help for mounting the motor to the tool post.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2005, 12:44:50 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: OT-Tool Post Grinder

search the archives here
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/ubbs/forumdisplay.cgi?
or here
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/
Old 03-05-2005, 09:05:51 PM
Subscriber

Hi Jim,
I have a cable attachment that goes on my Dremel tool. The hand-held part is a standard diameter -- 1/2 or 5/8 maybe. It fits in a boring bar holder perfectly.

As you can imagine, you're not going to do any heavy-duty grinding with such a setup, but I've used it to make cam followers, tool holders, and other small projects.

Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 01:11:01 AM
Registered-II

Mr. Tremble,
A tool post grinder is a simple device. A good place to start is to mount a flat plate with a "T" bolt on the tool post opening. Then use a long needle bearing, or a set of small pillow blocks and set up a grinding shaft parallel to the ways of the bed. At one end, put your grinding wheel. at the other end, put a pulley. Mount a motor and use a belt to connect it up. You need a high speed reversible motor. The pullies allow speed changes.

I reccomend the book, How to Run a Lathe. It is written with lots of photos. Even fools like me can easily get the concepts it puts across. A great fellow named Ted Williams has a site that has the book on line. Email me and I will give you Mr. William's private email. I can not remember his website address, but he will gladly point you in the right direction.

A great book on such things is The Complete Metalworking Manual by R.H.Cooley. It is one of those books that shows you how to build very good tools with common materials. It explains everything in minute detail and leaves no part of metal work untouched. It has a chapter on building, and using, a toolpost grinder. There are blueprints and drawings that are so simple that a sixteen year old can make one in an evening. I made a toolpost grinder and magnetic chuck from this book when I was sixteen (back when dinosaurs roamed freely). It is a very good book and all metalheads covet their copy.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:12:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Guys for the input. I have a small motor from an old radial arm saw and it looks like it would work. Turns 3450 RPM. The nice thing is, one end of the shaft is threaded for a Jacobs Chuck. Might be very handy.

I don't think I will need a reversable motor as the lathe will run in either direction. I see no problem with this as there will be little or no pressure on the work piece and the chuck should not back off of the threads while running in reverse.

Another question, how would the wheel be trued when installed on the grinder ?? I have to find a way to do that, also.

More input ???????

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-08-2005, 08:15:44 PM
Registered-II

Mr Tremble,
Sorry it took so long.I asked my friend before giving out his site address. He has been bombed and hacked in the past, and I did not want to bring the fates down on him. Ted's site address is wewilliams.net or southbendlathe.info Ted has more info than most libraries, in his bedroom. The rest of the house scares me.