Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

2 cyl John Deere stationary engine

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 4842 times

Old 03-10-2005, 02:51:46 PM
Jim Scott

Question 2 cyl John Deere stationary engine

i am going to a auction on sat. went and looked ahead. there is a jd 2 cyl stationary engine at this auction, i believe it is a luc? it is stuck but no cracks that i could see. it has the mag. and carb, it looks complete.does anyone have any idea what a good price would be for this? thanks jim
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12:16 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Default Re: 2cyl j.d. stationart engine

They NORMALLY go in the $300 range. BUT.....things haven't been NORMAL for a while now.......
Craig

BTW: Please let us know what it brought.....
Old 03-10-2005, 06:16:27 PM
Robert Jensen

I had a complete but stuck LUC given to me. It's still complete and it's still stuck! If you want one, e-mail me back. You're right here in Iowa and the price will be right. Robert Jensen
Old 03-10-2005, 06:37:20 PM

If the belt pulley is on an angle, it's a LUC. If it's straight out, it's a LUS.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:56:48 AM
Subscriber

It's worth what it would scrap for plus a few $$. These aren't too sought after arond here anyway. They are probably worth more in other parts of the world.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34:51 AM
Robert Jensen

Thanks, Tom!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:00:33 PM

One advantage to EITHER variation is you can drop the engines directly into an LA tractor.........or even an L in a pinch. ALL the engine parts are interchangable in the LA, LUC and LUS so if you need hard to find parts (oil pump especially) it's handy to just HAVE one lying around.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:01:47 PM
Registered-II

Jim i bought 2 of them locally for 150.00 they were both stuck. I got 1 freed up and running bought gaskets at the jd store in town. sold both to a guy that was lookig for one.You live close to columbus junction my nefew and my brothers live there and thats where are engines are at may be you could stop by and check them out sometime email me.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:29:54 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: 2 cyl John Deere stationary engine

I have 2 LUCs in my barn. 1 that looks real good but I was told that it has a knock in the lower end. The other one is complete and it isn't frozen up, but it looks terable. So I thought that I might get a good one out of the 2 of them.

Years ago when Disney land first opened up here in So. California I asked one of the drivers of the old car replicas on Main Street what kind of engine they had. I was told that they were built with Hercules 2 cylinder engines. I liked the way they sounded and thought I would like to build one similar some day.

Anyway I have been told that the flathead 2 cylinder JD engines were built by Hercules. If that is true it may be that thats where Disney engineers got the engines for these old car replicas.

From the performance of those cars that I rode in many times and the pop pop sounds that they made I think that this is quite possible. They seemed to have 3 speeds forward with a top speed of maybe 8 to 15 mph. They would lug down like a tractor when in the higher gears with a load of 6 or 8 people.

If anyone has any more information on those cars please share it. I would still like to try to build an old car replica using a LUC engine. I would probably use the LUC hand clutch as some of the authentic old cars used that system.

Dick
Old 03-12-2005, 04:03:16 PM

In the development stages, the prtotype Model Y was fitted with either a Novo or Hercules NXA engine. From my knowlege there is only one of these tractors in existance and that one is a very good recreation. Probably the closet thing you will find to an orginal. The Model 62, unstyled and some of the styled L's have the Hercules NXA engines in them. Then, about 1941 Deere developed their own L-head engine and put them in the L & LA tractors.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:02:51 PM

Well Bill, they just took over the production. You can INSTANTLY tell the difference between the Hercules and JD built engines by the bell housing. The Hercules has a bolt-on bell housing whereas the JD is a one piece casting. ALL of the internal parts are interchangable between the two which make the power units GREAT parts donors.
Craig
Old 03-12-2005, 10:25:55 PM
Jim Scott

just got back from my auction. spent 9 hrs in the snow and wind and actually got what i went after. i got the luc for 70 dollars. someone had brought in a lb so i brought that home to. i usually spend all day and end up with nothing. this retirement might just be ok. jim
Old 03-12-2005, 11:34:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,584 Times in 941 Posts
Smile Re: 2 cyl John Deere stationary engine

Congratulations - sounds like a fun day. How about some details on that engine - how many HP?, rated speed, bore, stroke - just some basic background on it...
Old 03-13-2005, 01:02:35 AM

Thumbs up Re: 2 cyl John Deere stationary engine

$70!!!!!!!
That's obscene!!! I guess you deserved that!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 10:10:18 AM
Registered-II

Congrats a jd and a ih in 1 day not bad. Was the lb cheap to? Where was that sale at?
Old 03-13-2005, 04:44:13 PM
Jim Scott

bob this sale was at wellman iowa at duwa auction on highway22. no the lb was not as cheap, but it does have the valve cover and it does run. neither one of these items were listed on sale bill. as to jims question on engine specs. i know nothing about these engines at all.its a flat head 2 cyl, it has a marvel carb and a wico mag. thats the extent of my knowledge,for now! if anyone knows of a sight to date this thing i would appreciate the help. the sn is c 21253. thanks jim
Old 03-13-2005, 10:57:01 PM
eMail NOT Working

Just got back from the Buzz Hellwig sale saturday in Butler, MO. Sold 3 complete LUC for $35., $10. & $30 and one allapart for $15.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:32:38 PM
Registered-II

Jim the rocker covers are worth just as much as the lb,s today. The luc engines i had i got a carb kit at oreillys and the rest of the gaskets at the local jd store.It sure ran sweet. I sold it to a guy that wanted it for a combine he was restoring. I seen that sale but didnt see anything that caught my eye. Damn next time i need to be there, just kidding Bob
Old 03-14-2005, 01:24:32 AM
Registered-III

Jim,

These things are regional. Here in So. Cal there aren't as many LUCs as there are in some other places across the country. The same is true for almost all engines and tractors. The dealers were very regional and many companies didn't sell any engines in certain areas. A lot of the engines that I see were brought here by collectors that purchased them in areas where the original dealers sold many of them.

I always think about transportation when I purchase something. If I see something that I need at a parts swap and it is a little over the going price I always figure the cost of shipping it from where I can get it for less. Usually the total cost is about the same and I avoid the wait and the worry of not having been able to see the item with my own eyes.

I hope you have fun with your LUC and your International. Dick