Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Soldering fuel tanks

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2819 times

Old 03-13-2005, 06:57:56 PM
Subscriber

Red face Soldering fuel tanks

I have an Associated fuel tank that needs a new filler neck and have read the threads about having tanks that already had fuel in them, explode while soldering them with a torch. Im looking to get a few of the old copper irons to do the job, but was looking and found an old 200 watt electric iron. Does anyone use electric irons to solder tanks or am I just wasting my time and money? Also does anyone sell new filler necks that can be just soldered on? Thanks for any help!!
Frank Y
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2005, 09:12:17 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Soldering fuel tanks

You will not have troble soldering with an electric iron. Instead of flux use muratic acid. The solder will flow real nice. Cheap at any hardware store. The solderable fillers are available at Hit and Miss or Starbolt. Good luck. TJ
Old 03-13-2005, 09:20:59 PM
Subscriber

Frank, Starbolt sells replacement caps and necks for reparing gas tanks.They stock 2 diffrent sizes.As for soldering gas tanks,I wash them out real well with soap and water and solder them with 50/50solder and a micro torch after I clean the area to be repared with a wire wheel on my grinder.Doug
Old 03-13-2005, 09:52:30 PM
Registered-I

Frank,I flush tanks with soapy water then run exhaust from another engine in tank and solder using a torch. p.s. don,t stop the engine till the torch is out.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:05:34 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Y
Im looking to get a few of the old copper irons to do the job, but was looking and found an old 200 watt electric iron. Does anyone use electric irons to solder tanks or am I just wasting my time and money? Frank Y
The old copper irons are collectable now.

We use only electric irons for gas tanks. Make sure that the tip is tight and clean. If you can remove the tip to clean the part that is inside the holder it will probably heat more consistently. We have a 175W iron and another bigger iron which we bought used. Weller still makes irons up to 175W:
http://www.solderingsupply.com/index.htm

We also use Sal Ammoniac to clean the tip, 50/50 solder and Stay-Clean or Ruby Fluid flux.

Helen
Old 03-13-2005, 10:37:02 PM
Registered-III

Frank~

The Associated fuel tanks are a bear to solder a modern filler neck on to. The hole in the tank that the filler neck sits over has a "Raised Edge" If you can, flatten this out with pliers or what have you. Other wise you will be trying to fill a 1/16" gap under the edge of the new filler neck. Been there done that!

The edges of the tank in the pic have been flattened, but you can see that the edge of the sheet metal used to flair upwards. I think this just eased centering the factory filler neck for quick mass production. I wish I had a better photo to describe what I am saying.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:50:05 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Smigle
Frank~

The Associated fuel tanks are a bear to solder a modern filler neck on to. The hole in the tank that the filler neck sits over has a "Raised Edge" If you can, flatten this out with pliers or what have you. Other wise you will be trying to fill a 1/16" gap under the edge of the new filler neck. Been there done that!

Just a thought! Would it be easier to cut the screw top from a one gallon tin can where you may have a wider flange than what is on the replacement caps? Possibly the edge of that could be shrunk or better shaped to fit!

Helen
Old 03-14-2005, 07:11:58 PM
Subscriber

Wow, Thanks for the responses. I dont yet have a torch thats fine enough for that kind of work, so I thought that the iron would prob be the best idea for now. Im gonna try and get it and ill let you all know how it works out. When I get the filler neck from Starbolt, which size should I get, OR should I say, which size was it originally. I was looking around the shop and i was thinking of using an old can neck and lid but the only ones I could find were from the PVC pipe primer and glue and theyre still half full. Plus they have "BRUSH INSIDE" embossed on the top and thought it would look a little silly.

I could also use some dimensions on a battery box for the 2 1/4 Associated Hired Hand if anyone has them.

Keith, Have you ever seen an Associated gas tank without the embossing on the top? I was thinking it was a repro but it has the looks of an original.

Thanks for all the info!! And Thank You Harry for everything!!
Frank Y
Old 03-14-2005, 10:27:36 PM
Registered-III

Frank~

My 1915 catalog does not show an embossed tank and my 1916 instruction manual does. So from the information that I have, I am going to say that the embossed tanks date from 1916 to about 1925 when they started putting the tanks in the base. Prior to that the tank looks just the same, just no embossing.
Also the original Associated filler neck caps are an odd ball size, very hard to find a replacement that fits correctly if you loose yours.