Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Monitor Questions

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1808 times

Old 03-20-2005, 11:44:45 PM
Subscriber

Default Monitor Questions

I have some questions about a monitor that I looked at today. It is a 1/1/4 HP Model "VJ" S/N 27417. I don't know all that much about Monitors and I need some help figuring this engine out. First of all what year was the engine built? Secondly, how does the oiling system on this engine work? Is it as lost oil system or is it supposed to have oil in the crankcase? if it is supposed to have oil in it, what is the proper way to check the oil level, and is it supposed to have a dipper on the end of the connecting rod? If it is a lost oil system where is the oiler supposed to be located? There is currently not an oiler on it and the case is full of oil. When the engine runs it pukes oil out of the drive side main bearing, is there a crankcase vent somewhere that is plugged or are we missing some packing? Any Ideas? Lastly, when this engine runs it smokes excessively and spits a gas/oil mix out of the exhaust pipe. It has great compression so I highly doubt that the piston rings are the problem. I am also in the hunt for a new drive gear for this engine. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 01:17:42 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Monitor Questions

I’m no expert but I just finished re-doing mine a couple of months ago. It looks like your engine was made around Oct. 1922. You can buy some information on it from hitnmiss also. On this engine you put oil in the crankcase and it sounds like yours is probably over full. There is a little finger on the bottom of the rod that dips into the oil and throws it all over the place. The rod its self should not be slapping oil. There should be some shouldered collars on the crankshaft that sling the oil off the crank into the return areas on the very outside edge of the bearing areas. There is a return port back into the crankcase from the outside edge of the bottom bearing area that could be plugged also. These engines used/burnt oil from the factory. The door on the crankcase has a little cup built into it that your are supposed to fill with oil and dump back into the crankcase for every tank of gas you use to replace oil burnt or lost during the last tank. As far as checking the oil level, with the engine turned off and the piston at bottom dead center, do a visual check to make sure the oil level is not visibly up on the rod. Now start the engine and carefully open the crankcase door and put a light colored rag or you hand over the opening and see how much oil you get hit with. If you get a bath it's over full. If there are several drops it's ok. If there's none it's too low. I have a 90-degree site glass screwed into the hole in the side of the lower crankcase and I've marked it high and low to make it easy to watch the level. I'm getting ready to put an oil ring in mine to try and reduce the amount of oil that gets puked out the exhaust. Mine has an oilier on the cylinder but I haven’t been using it but I will have to start if the oil ring works. As far as the gear on the crankshaft, there are a few guys boring out off the shelf gears for replacements for around $50. Put a parts wanted ad in the classified section and some one should point you in the right direction.

Jamie Gull
Old 03-21-2005, 11:49:00 AM
Registered-III

Hi Joe, I'm no expert either but I have an original manual. It sounds like you have to much oil in the crankcase. My Monitor is a 1926. Most of the monitors have pipe plug/oiler hole in the bottom of the blind bore cylinder.
All of the Monitors I've seen running have had an oiler going to this hole with a 45 degree coupling. I may have a spare gear I could sell. Send me an email.

Erik Grund
Old 03-22-2005, 11:11:48 AM
Registered-II

Look in Harry's old engine collection. He has a good op manaul for the Monitor pumping engine.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:13:28 PM
Subscriber

Is the oil dipper on this engine part of the rod cap or is it a separate piece? I suspect that the rod cap on this engine may not be original.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:36:10 PM
Registered-III

Joe!...I'll jump in here and see if I might be a little help. Firstly....your engine is a 1922 and the oiling system is splash. The con rod cap has a little bit of a "nub" cast on to it.....it is not a seperate slinger as you would find in a lawn mower engine. Doubt if anyone has changed the rod as Monitor uses there one bolt rod cap system to adjust the bearing clearance. One characteristic of these engines is there ability to leak and ooze oil outta everywhere imaginable if there even slightly over full on oil. (Don't ask me how I know this!)If your engine has had the main brg caps sealed or caulked shut to prevent oil leaks you will need to drill it for a crankcase vent.(1/4 in pipe should do fine) My 1916 is this way and its a pretty dry booger except for dripping at the exh valve. I doubt you can really stop this as they don't have oil control rings so they get pretty oily in the combustion chamber....it also has excellent compression! As for the drip oilers all I can say is some have them and some don't Most of the ones I've seen that don't have them at least have a plug where they should go....my 1916 isn't even drilled. As for your oil level....fabricate a dipstick and mark it at 1 1/16th in....that is the full mark from the bottom of the sump...Good Luck!....Warren
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03:39 AM
Registered-III

If you get down on your knees and hold your head just right you can see all the way through the block at the breathers over the main bearings . Thats all there is to those , If theres mud daubers in em they might be plugged but doubtfull .
Splash lubed , you fill it till the wee shark fin on the rod just dips it . Too much and it will just ooze past the mains .Way too much and it'll smoke for a while and spray out the breathers . The operating instructions say to flip the inspection door open and fill the little cup with oil and flip it shut -every tank of gas . Any excess just runs out anyway . But that is for in the field where a little mess is better than a stuck motor . They will not leak "much" if the level is--- just---- right but you will play hell keeping the base on a painted up one clean as they drool through the breathers . An oiler isnt necc . and most dont have one at all . But they look cool . You just gotta mind the oil level a little closer .

Congratulations on reviving the Mae West of gasolene engines . Those big hips are just sexy .
Old 03-27-2005, 12:24:07 PM
Registered-III

Might as well stick my two cents worth in here. I have been running one of these engines at shows for three or four years now and the first year I had all the oil problems that everyone has with them. That winter I tore it down to replace the rings because the compression was a little low and while it was apart I took a good long look at the "innerds"To see if I couldnt make it stop pukeing oil all over the place. What I finally did with mine was remove the drain plug in the bottom of the crankcase and replace it with a piece of pipe about six inches long. Then i mounted a good #2 drip oiler with a check ball and breather on it and that's it. I have been running it "dry sump" now for three years. I give it about 10 drops a minute and have run it about 150 hours with no problems. I dont put any load on it while it is running and that could make a difference but I now have a nice dry Monitor engine with only a few drops of oil from the drain pipe to clean up and no exhaist smoke. Appearantly the oil from the drip oiler hits the rod and the splash is enough to lube the whole engine.
Dan
Old 03-27-2005, 06:54:35 PM
Registered-III

I got the oil ring put in Tuesday that I mentioned in my earlier post and I have run it for about an hour and have had no noticeable oil out the exhaust and only a very slight amount out the exhaust valve stem. I've started it every morning since this week with out the normal initial blast of oil that I've been getting. The oil coming out the exhaust valve stem is more than likely from the drip oiler. I drilled four 1/8" holes evenly spaced around the bottom ring grove for oil return under the oil ring.

Jamie