Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC "M" 3 hp. Cart

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2329 times

Old 03-30-2005, 07:59:21 PM
Registered-II

Default IHC "M" 3 hp. Cart

Does anyone have pictures, for an original IHC 3 hp. "M" engine cart, Views from the front, rear, and one side. I know that the wheel Dia's were 9" front, and 12" rear both with a 2" face, for the years 1920-1936, and apparently 14" Dia. with a 3" face for the years 1918-1920 all four wheels I guess. John Hammink was kind enough to give me these figures, but did'nt have any original Cart photos.

Any help would be appretiated.
Thanks.....Chuck
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2005, 10:44:36 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: IHC "M" 3 hp. Cart

Hi Chuck,
I asked the same question a few weeks ago, the only help i received was from Mr. Hammink. Seems like for such a common engine there would be responses, anyway,...My copy of an International operating manual (MC-D923) does not mention a 4 wheel truck as being an option for the 3 hp. it does mention as special equipment, a two wheeled hand cart. But, Mr Hammink has a parts manual that does list a four wheeled truck for the 3 hp. the copies i have show few pictures and fewer dimentions. reguardless, men are not what they used to be and engines of this size are better handled on a truck.

there were some dimentions mentioned in information that Mr Hammink had gleaned from the net. I may have followed these dimentions incorrectly, but found that the cross pieces did not fit the bolt pattern of my 3 hp. looking back in my operating manual, i find that the factory skid length was listed as 54 inches, with the total height of the skid (runners and cross pieces)being 5 inches. i'm kinda assuming a full 2 by 4 runner with full 1 inch thick cross pieces.

so, so far i am assuming a truck mounted skid, 54 inches long, 19 3/8 wide. skid of full 2 by 4, probably white oak. four wooden cross pieces, three under the engine, one under the skid to support the fifth wheel. these i am assuming are full 1 by 5 1/2, (maybe 6 inch wide?) white oak. the picture of an old reprint seems to show the front bolts of the engine in the center width of the front and back engine cross pieces (22 3/4 inches center to center) the center engine cross piece seems to have its front edge directly under the fuel pump piston. the location of the engine on the skids (front to back) i could only guess at from the reprint.

i made the axles of 1 inch pipe as stated in the parts list, but had to make wheels of what ever size pipe i had scavaged from a local junk yard so my sketches of the axle stubs would be of little use to you.

i putting all this out in hopes that someone will correct my assumptions and that finally there will be a correct and full set of dimentions for us to reproduce a truck for these engines, cause...ain't no way i can handle a 460 lb. engine on a two wheeled cart.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:02:07 AM
Sponsor

here is a cut from a 1920 catalog, The dimentions are not given but the cut might help. Bob
Attached Thumbnails
3 hp cart c.jpg  
Old 03-31-2005, 04:39:08 AM
Registered-II

Thanks guys: It sounds like this is a subject that needs to be chased down, and finally resolved. Rhudson is right. I just can't imagine, that of the so many IHC "M's" that were produced, and the large quantity that are still out there, that a solution can't be found. Bob's catalog ad page would indicate that International was definatly marketing these carts, at least enough to design, manufacture, and advertise them. There really should be some of these carts around somewhere. I can't imagine saving the engines, and scraping the carts. I'm guessing that a large number of these engines were installed as fixed, and permanent STATIONARY engines. I do have a handbook that describes how to mount these on a concrete base. It seems to me a couple of years back, that someone was advertising reproduction carts in GEM magazine, I'll have to go and check out some back copies. If this is true then there should be info. around. Whoever it was might not want to turn loose of the information though, so as not to have more competition, I don't know..... Anyway I think I'll continue this quest for awhile and see where it leads. Thanks a lot for the dimentions that you did have, and the picture that was available. More info. is needed, and all help on this exploration will be appreciated.

Thanks.....
CHUCK
p.s. I'm really with RHUDSON on this, there should be more info. available, with so many being made, and sold. They could'nt have all been trashed.
chuck
Old 03-31-2005, 12:25:20 PM
Registered-III

Chuck;
Go here and hit back button for more pix's, for what I believe to be an original cart.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...10367659BLgKrV

Good Luck
RickinMt.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44:14 PM
Registered-I

The 1 1/2 And 3 Hp M's Used The Same Cart. Only Differance Would Be The Engine Base Bolt Pattern. Good Picture Of It In The Yellow Book. Have Fun.
Dick Staats In The Bitterroot
Old 03-31-2005, 01:36:34 PM
Subscriber

Here is a picture of my 3hp on trucks. The 1 1/2hp and 3hp use the same trucks, the only difference is axle length. The skid however is different size for each engine. There is someone who reproduces these original trucks. You might check some of the sponsors on this site and if they dont have them check the gas engine magazine as I have seen the reproductions advertised for sale in there.
3hp M
Attached Thumbnails
0000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg  
Old 03-31-2005, 04:53:24 PM
Registered-III

I'd buy you a coke and pack of nabs if i could pull a tape measurer on that.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:13:44 PM
Subscriber

OK, I think I got the measurements your looking for. I took them off a new old stock skid I had up it the barn. I will also include a link to a couple of pictures of the skid.
Sills are 54" long, 1 5/8 wide, 3 5/8" tall
Cross boards are 19" long, 5 1/2 wide, 1 1/4" thick
Measuring from the back of the sill "or the flywheel end" I will give you a measurement for the center of each of the three cross boards. The center of the first is 13", second is 23 3/4", third is 34 1/4". You should be able to see in the picture that the two end cross boards are held on by 3/8" bolts and the center board is nailed on.
There are four holes drilled straight down through the sills for mounting the trucks. Again I will start at the back of the skid and give you a measurement to the center of each hole. First 6 1/2", second 8 1/2", third 44", fourth 47 1/4". These are 3/8" holes and are also centered in the width of the sill.
If you add trucks you will need another cross board the same size as the top boards and this will mount under the skid to support the steering axle. It will bolt to the sill through two of the holes you drilled straight down through the sills. The measurements for the first two holes I gave are for the rear axle and the other two holes are for the front axle cross board. Hope these measurements are what your looking for, Bryan3hp M NOS skid
Old 03-31-2005, 07:28:40 PM
Registered-II

Hey, It looks like we've got some good pictures and info. now. Let's hope they keep comin..

Thanks a LOT guys. maybe we're getting somewhere.
Thanks again

CHUCK
Old 04-02-2005, 09:49:29 AM
Registered-III

Thank You Bryan,

That's good numbers, soon as i have a chance, i'll make a dimentioned sketch or maybe fire up autocad. Now how do i get that Coke and Nabs to you?
Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 10:52:46 AM
Registered-II

Bryan: What are the chances of getting some detail pictures of the front and rear axels of the cart with the 3 horse on it. I think that with your dimentions, and some detail pictures of the front and rear wheel/axel/bolster assembies, along with the pictures that you posted of your NOS skid, that the "M" cart mystry can finally be put to bed. That is of course unless we can get more pictures and detail drawings, or ????????????? I think that all the pictures, and info that has been provided on this thread has been really great, and been needed for a long, long time, there just has to be more out there. Bryan you've done a great thing by sharing. These pictures will be in the archives for many years to come...
This is the STAK at its best. Members focusing on one specific need, or quest, and coming up with the solution.

Thanks again to all of you.........CHUCK
Old 04-03-2005, 02:10:29 PM
Subscriber

OK, I got some more pictures of the trucks. I could not get my 3hp out because it was packed in the back of the barn but I had a set of 1 1/2hp trucks near the door so I took pictures of that. All the truck parts for the 1 1/2 and 3hp are the same except the axle length. I posted the pictures on my epson site. If you need any other pictures let me know and I will try and help, Bryan

IHC 3hp M Trucks
Old 04-04-2005, 12:03:17 AM
Registered-II

BRYAN: Thanks....... I think this has pretty much got it...I think I can make something very similar. I hope. The way my luck runs I'll spend the time making this, and about the time I'm done some body will say if you'll get those old Axels and casters out of my barn you can have them.... That's OK I won't be offended. Bryan, GREAT JOB. You really came through for us. If anyone else out there has any more pictures, Please post them. I really don't think we can have too many.
Thanks Again
CHUCK
Old 04-04-2005, 10:59:51 PM
Subscriber

Hi Folks, Here are some pics of the cart I made for my 1-1/2 hp IHC "M".
The wheels, bolster, and rear axel support castings are from the guy that
sells the casting kit. I think they are also available from Cattail Foundry.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/arn...t/MVC-554S.jpg
through
http://www.oldengine.org/members/arn...t/MVC-561S.jpg

As soon as I can establish a stable ftp connection the dimensions will be:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/arn...rt/IHC-M-1.jpg
through
http://www.oldengine.org/members/arn...rt/IHC-M-4.jpg

See ya, Arnie
Old 04-05-2005, 03:05:28 AM
Registered-II

ARNIE: Nice looking cart. Good pictures. Do you have more detail on front axel bolster?
Thanks.....CHUCK