Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

where would I find a "Rotary" engine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2157 times

Old 03-31-2005, 05:12:23 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,213 Times in 369 Posts
Default where would I find a "Rotary" engine

Hi All, I have a question. Where would a guy look to find a rotary engine? I have a friend an older guy "close to 80" he is on a kick where he would like to restore a rotary NOT radial engine. The cylinders would turn around the crank rather then the crankshaft turning. He was showing me a book on them today and like our farm engines there were close to 100 manufactures that made them for aircraft use from the turn of the century into the 30's (I think) I have posted a wanted ad on the big engine board but thought someone here could have an idea as to where else I could look. thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2005, 06:36:01 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: where would I find a "Rotary" engine

You could go to your local Mazda dealer and lift the hood of a 2005 Mazda RX-8 and see one but I doubt that is what you are looking for.

Just doing a Google search on the history of rotary and Wankle engines makes it hard to believe that there was much production of this style engine from the turn of the century into the 30's. Most production seems to have been in the last 50 years.

Here is some thing to waste some time staring at, how a rotary engine works:

Old 03-31-2005, 07:03:44 PM
Subscriber

They actually used these on some motorcycles, I think Suzuki & some european models.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:38:53 PM
Registered-II

He is looking for one of these, not a wankle.
http://www.keveney.com/gnome.html
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47:31 PM
Registered-II

Anouther web page.
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...s,%20Gnome.htm

Here is a yahoo group, it is public so you can read the messages without joining.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/R_and_R_engines/

I have never actually seen one but there must be some around someplace.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36:48 PM
Registered-III

Lightbulb Re: where would I find a "Rotary" engine

Id ask these guys , just sit and dig through the collection on this page , man ........what a motorheads wet dream

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/collection_engines.htm

Looks like my place but with more cooling fins ! They have a Gnome as you describe that has spit off a jug .

Williams brothers in san marcos, cali makes one about the size of my hand in plastic , every part is sepparate. I built one of their j-5's one once . its more affordable and easily obtainable if he really has got to cure a Super Rhone jones I'd start there . Its someting right ?

heres a virtual one http://www.cowleys-motorcycles.com.a...es/page08.html

Chuck B
http://royalcrossfarm.com/essentials.htm

Last edited by kerogas; 03-31-2005 at 08:49:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29:42 PM
eMail NOT Working

So far the talk has been on aircraft engines. The first rotary engine was in a 1905 automobile called the Adams-Farwell. Fay Oliver Farwell built his first 3 cylinder rotary engine in 1898, The first car built by the Adams company of Dubuque, Iowa had a 3 cylinder rotary engine. A 5 cylinder rotary was used from 1906 to 1912. The engine was placed with shaft verticle over the rear end. To start the engine, one took hold of a cylinder and spun it clockwise.There is only one Adams-Farwell left. At that time it was in the Harrah Collection. I had the good fortune to see it at Hershey, PA in 1968 and saw the procedure in starting and saw the engine running. The neat part of the rotary is that the rotating cylinders act as the flywheel and of course it is air cooled without a fan.

I remember reading some where Farwell sold his patents to the French and they were the first ones to use it in aircraft.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:04:50 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: where would I find a "Rotary" engine

The Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY has a couple gnomes, one complete and one with the jugs off so you can spin it and watch the cranks move. I doubt that they would be interested in selling either one, most likely they would want another. They have quite a collection of early engines and early Curtiss aircraft. Dick in the Finger Lake Region of NY.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:15:29 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Smile Re: where would I find a "Rotary" engine

If you get to the Cabin Fever model engine expo, there is a gentleman who has built a working scale model of the gnome rotary radial engine. Man does that engine run sweet!. It really looks weird to see the entire engine spinning! (For those who don't know - the engine to airframe mount is actually the engine crankshaft. The shaft is stationary, and the engine rotates about the crank. The prop is mounted to the engine block, and spins with it! It is definately not a clean engine though, I can see why early aviaters wore all the leather and goggles - these engines chucked castor oil everywhere! Talk about total loss oiling!!! At least you didn't have to worry about rust. The major problem with the gnome - it ran too cool, and liked to foul plugs. Later models actually had a shroud around the cylenders in an attempt to reduce air-flow, in order to make the engine run hotter.
Andrew
Old 04-02-2005, 09:56:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey
It is definately not a clean engine though, I can see why early aviaters wore all the leather and goggles - these engines chucked castor oil everywhere! Talk about total loss oiling!!!
Andrew:

If you look at after mission pictures of avaitors of rotary engined planes of the period, you'll see that the pilots' faces look like racoons. That's because of the dirty castor oil blowback from their engines.

I bet they didn't have problems with constipation, nyuk, nyuk!

Take care - Elden