Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Northeast Flood

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1502 times

Old 04-04-2005, 02:02:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Northeast Flood

Just saw on the net that the northeast is getting flooded. Was wondering if everyone in that area is OK. Hope everyone is safe and that nothing is happening to you or your homes.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34:20 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Northeast Flood

Warm, safe, and dry in Southwest CT...

Chris
Old 04-04-2005, 10:34:16 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,674 Times in 3,028 Posts

Flooding in Dover NJ - next town upstream of my town, Rockaway, We are OK, but Down stream is much worse off. Some minor flooding in Denville, moderate to severe in Wayne and Pompton Lakes. Wayne is making national news, it is where the Passaic and Raritan rivers converge. Water is 8 feet above flood stage and rising! The area is not expected to see peak of rise until 2 PM Tuesday! Some homes inundated to the roof tops
Old 04-05-2005, 03:16:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

When I left work in Newtown, Pa. Sunday morning, the Delaware was crossing Rt.29 South in Trenton by the Capital. Drove through a few inches of water . By Sunday night they had closed Rt.29 N/S and had to do the 295/95 route. I left work early Monday morning to avoid the rush hour panic/crush across the Delaware into NJ. 95N/295S ws OK as it's up high, but my normal route down Rt.29(NJ-side) or River Road(Pensy-side) was under water and closed in both directions. Poor folks on both sides got hit again . I think the river was higher than last September. Sure am glad I'm on higher ground. Leaving early this morning again to avoid a 2-3 hour commute.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:06:29 PM

According to the local News Paper, The Express-Times, the Delaware River was 2 feet higher then when Ivan came through. That makes it the third worst flood ever recorded. Lots of folks along the Delaware, roughly 4000 had to be evactuated. Sad part of it is, most had just completed repairs from the last flood. Two 50yr. floods in under 7 months. What are the chances of that When Ivan came through, it dumped 7 to 9 inches of rain. This storm dumped between 2 and 4 inches. But, combined with the snow melt in New York and the ground already soaked from a couple previous rains, it was recipe for another desaster.

I moan and groan because I get water in my cellar, about 2", due to the ground laying wet. Compared to what others go through, it's a minor inconvenience. .
Old 04-05-2005, 08:12:48 PM
Registered

Hi Mike, the Brandywine, "From your old neck of the woods" was over its banks in the usual places. A few stuck cars in the usual places as well. My Brother & Dave says Hi.