Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

OT: soaring gas prices...will shows still supply?

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2688 times

Old 04-06-2005, 06:43:44 PM
Registered-III

Default OT: soaring gas prices...will shows still supply?

seeing to be gas is $2.29-$2.39 per gallon here where i live. shows are comming upon us so fast and they say gas prices will still go up. what are the shows to do that supply gas? would they raise the club fee? the show i regularly attend is greenville farm power of the past, its a rather large show and they do supply gas at the amount of 5 gallons per day, per exhibitor. thats not bad. usually i bring my own gas. but usually i end up running out so i take advantage of the offer. but figuring it up.. theres a estimation of 150 exhibitors, could be more. so theres 750 gallons of gas a day, the show lasts 4 days, now were up to 3000 gallons at 2.25 (to be low) thats $6,750 bucks in gas. give or take. ok. club fees are $10 dollars/exhibitor, for 150 people thats only 1500 dollars. how in the world do they do it? does anyone see club fees going up? i know i do. but its no big deal, i mean id pay more for the show. they do supply us with free electric, water, and show signs, and other miscellaneous items.. what do some of you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2005, 08:24:08 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: OT: soaring gas prices...will shows still supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleblankenship
seeing to be gas is $2.29-$2.39 per gallon here where i live. shows are comming upon us so fast and they say gas prices will still go up. what are the shows to do that supply gas? would they raise the club fee?
Klyle

The best source, I would bring your own fuel. The clubs would not charge for the fuel if everyone did this.

That's what I have always done and I have not seen any price increase in show fees.

Don't know about this year,

Jim
Old 04-06-2005, 08:56:24 PM
Registered-II

Hi all, I wish we had your fuel prices over here in Sydney Australia. Your $2.39 per gallon for fuel equals approximately $0.60 cents per litre. We are currently paying $1.00 to $1.15 per litre at the bowser which equate to around $4.60 per gallon. And that is not taking into account the AU dollar to US dollar exchange rates. My 4.5 litre engined Landcruiser likes a drink too! Our Australian engine shows have never provided fuel. Bye for now, Luke
Old 04-06-2005, 09:04:45 PM
Registered-III

Wow......

I've never dreamt that a show would provide me with fuel. I must be asking the wrong questions.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:13:01 PM
Registered-I

I was at a club meeting this past week they were talking about insurance for the show with an agent and they found out that they did not want to cover the club if they had a large tank of gas on the grounds. The officers were open to ideals on how to supply gas but they wouldn't be covered if there was a big tank. That had nothing to do with the price of gas but the price of insurance. Steve
Old 04-06-2005, 10:05:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,122 Times in 591 Posts

According to my calculations a US gallon of gas @ $2.39 works out to $2.87 for an imperial gallon. Converted to Canuck Bucks @ 1.22 = $3.50 for an imperial gallon. That's quite a bit less than the $4.32 for an imperial gallon we're paying some places in Saskatchewan now.

Bill
Old 04-06-2005, 11:04:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Bill I think your paying to much too! BobRR
Old 04-06-2005, 11:42:52 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

We HAVE been providing REASONABLE quantities of gas for exhibitors FREE BUT we may have to rethink that.....maybe charge a nominal fee....$1 a gallon or something to offset these prices~~~~~~~
Old 04-07-2005, 03:34:10 AM
Registered-III

Reckon that sums it up
Attached Thumbnails
GasPrices.jpg  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:58:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,456 Posts

I've only used "show gasoline" once and that was because of a lack of planning on my part. Then, it was only a gallon or so.

Because of that, if shows stopped supplying gas altogether, I'd never notice it. If I ran out of gas at a show and there was none close off grounds, I'd be willing to pay whatever the market would bear to compensate for my lack of planning.

Now........I'm not an OFES guy, but I think it'd be right neighborly for the hosting club to supply propane for my 50 HP Bessemer (Dream on!) because of the trouble of hauling the engine to the show and hauling lots of propane around.

Also, if I had a steamer, it would be nice if the show provided a reasonable amount of wood or coal fuel because it's hard to haul.

Anyway - that's MY opinion and I'm stuck with it.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 04-07-2005, 04:21:50 PM
Allen

I remember that there was a big stink a few years back when Portersville show quit providing gas ....OTOH part of the reason they quit supplying was because they caught some guy filling up his pickup truck.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:41:07 PM
Registered-I

This brings up a somewhat related question that I have. What kind of fuel consumption do these engines have? I have a line on a New Sattley (and all that info is at home), how big is the tank, and how long would it run on a full load?

Just FYI: Here in Santa Cruz it was 2.49 Tuesday morning. 2.55 when I went home and 2.59 this morning. I don't want to think of what it's like tonight. Luckly I walk to work and fill up once a month. Still makes me miss my Honda 600. Depending on how I ran it, I'd get 40-50 mpg. Not bad for a 1970 car. Only had a 5 gal. tank though...
Old 04-07-2005, 04:51:53 PM
In Memory Of Helen

I do not recall ever using free gas that shows offer to the exhibitors. We have purchased or bummed gas from friends if we ran short at the show. I think we were at a show once where you could buy gas on the grounds because it was there for equipment belonging to the club. What is it, a game of follow the red can? Helen
Old 04-07-2005, 05:10:45 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

Kyle,
I don't think the club at Greenville had to pay for gas last year. I believe the petroleum supplier provided it along with propane for the oilfield guys as a sponsorship. I'm not sure what kind of deal Portland or Xenia work out. I've used show gas a couple of times, but I generally don't need it. I use Coleman fuel in everything except my Fairbanks Z. I haven't been in that part of Wal-Mart to see what it's going to cost me this year. I paid $2.349 Tuesday night to fill my truck. OUCH!!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:35:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,768 Times in 774 Posts

As Craig knows, It costs clubs alot of money to put on a show plus alot of work and time. The workers for spring clean-up, up keep of the facilities as well as the show grounds and buildings. Hauling of equipment, up keep of the club's equipment, electricity, gas, oil, L.P. tanks, water, advertisement, insurance, E.T.C. I bring my own gas / L.P. tanks and pay my own way to haul in my tractor to the show. I figure that anyway I can save any club money is like donating money toward their cause. Without them putting on the show, where would we be hanging out, showing our engines, having a great time with fellow collectors, sometimes it's the only time we get together all year.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:31:10 AM
Boblester40

I live in the UK, currently the price per gallon is £3.82 which = $7.25, If i was in your shoes I would not worry to much quite yet.

Regards
bob
Old 04-08-2005, 11:53:31 AM
Registered-II

I have never been to a show that supplies its exhibitors with fuel. With fuel prices as high as they currentyly are, I don't see why shows shuld be expected to. Funny, but I can run my Novo all day on just about a gallon of gas. The briggs motors are a little thirstier. I am not sure about the Fairbanks, but I am sure it won't be very thirsty. I spend more gas just getting to the show as opposed to actually being at the show that it is just not a big deal for me. The other thing is that most of these motors will run on just about any grade of gas (even the stuff you can't get at the pump). 70 octane gas is still cheap if you can get it!!! I would rather my $$$ go to the club and be spent on more important things, such as insurance, rather than on gas.

The Simple Serf