Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Gas Tank Sealer Problem

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1348 times

Old 04-16-2005, 08:19:22 PM
Larry Holderman

Angry Gas Tank Sealer Problem

I have a gas tank on my Fuller Johnson 7hp that someone has put that white type gas tank sealer in it . They must of not got it clean/etched because it is now coming loose causing blockages in the fuel lines.

Is there any chemical that I could use to loosen the rest of the sealer so I can solder any holes with out un-soldering the side of the tank??

Thanks for any help

Larry Holderman
Warsaw, IN
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2005, 09:52:57 PM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: Gas Tank Sealer Problem

MEK (Methyletylenekeretone) (Spelling is probably wrong)will remove the sealer.Very nasty stuff take precautions and do it outdoors.Rob
Old 04-16-2005, 10:08:23 PM
Registered-II

Larry,You can also lay a wet rag along any seams to prevent unsoldering them. Chip
Old 04-16-2005, 11:41:02 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,675 Times in 3,028 Posts
Unhappy Re: Gas Tank Sealer Problem

WARNING - DANGEROUS !!!
Methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK) is PVC pipe solvent - cleaner VERY NASTY STUFF DO NOT GET THIS MATERIAL ON YOUR HANDS Do not use in confined areas, DO NOT BREATHE FUMES. The fumes from this material can cause brain damage. This material will cause permanant damage to your skin cells. It is a known mutagen - it alters the way the cells replicate, and causes permanant damage. I have first hand knowledge, and experiance, as both of my hands have severe damage from this material, and not from long term exposure either! It can also cause Liver Cancer. If you must use it, use personal protective equipment, (solvent resistant gloves, canister type resperator) and use in a well ventilated area. This stuff is extremely flammable, and will ignite with static electricity!!! It is absorbed into the body - directly thru the skin, and cannot be washed off!!! Please use this material with extreme care!!! I cannot stress this enough, take care using MEK
Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Mackey; 04-16-2005 at 11:43:43 PM. Reason: change in information
Old 04-17-2005, 09:13:20 AM
Dale Sawchuk

Would electrolysis work in this situation. I did read it removes paint etc. Not sure if it would work inside the tank? That( MEK) or pipe solvent stuff sounds way too dangerous for me. -- Dale
Old 04-17-2005, 12:48:13 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,051 Times in 1,490 Posts

Acetone will thin that sealer while it is a liquid. You could test acetone to see if it will dissolve the dried material. Acetone is available by the pint or gallon at home Depot. It is flammable so do use caution and don't inhale the fumes.

Electrolysis might be used to clean a rusty tank, but you would need to have the main electrode INSIDE the tank. I doubt that it would remove paint or anything non-conductive.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:46:39 PM
Larry Holderman

Thanks for the advice on MEK. The tank is soaking in it now, so I guess I will wait and see what happens.

Larry Holderman