Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Delima

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1430 times

Old 04-18-2005, 02:16:13 PM
Subscriber

Photo Delima

Here is a picture of a recent project-I took it outside yesterday for the first time--ran it around--fun day-I ran it up against a imoveable object on purpose--it will come up on the gov and spin the wheels on the dirt--neat--here is the delima--with some cosmetics--it will be done--I think someday it might sell better painted--or not??here is your chance to chime in--to PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT--thanks for your input.
d,j,
Attached Thumbnails
case  little.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2005, 05:41:15 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Delima

I just got back yesterday from the Tulare Ca. Antique Farm Show. I noticed that it seemed that the spectators payed more attention to the filled and painted exhibits than they did to the barn fresh ones.

The exhibitors/collectors seemed to pay about equal attention to both.

While on that show subject I showed a nice farm fresh 1 1/2 hp Waterloo Boy
and a wooden hand operated "Motor High Speed" washing machine. You are the Motor, as it is hand lever operated. The Hand operated display drew more attention than the engine. I think that I will always include a hand operated piece of equipment from now on when I participate in a show.

Anyway back to your question. Years ago I attended one of the worlds largest clock and watch shows in Los Angeles California. The older gentleman that I was with had hundreds of old pocket watches to sell. This is back when a good pocket watch went for $25.00 or $30.00.

He had a felt lined display case with pocket watch sized cutouts filled with working pocket watches, probibly 50 or 60 total in the case. As people walked by looking he said "watch this" and opened a watch that was working and pressed in the escapment wheel breaking it. He then placed it back in the case without changing the price.

Someone would look over all of the watches and pick up the broken one and remove the back cover a see the broken escapment. They would then pay the original asking price. Needless to say he did this many times during the show.

Being young I asked why they would buy the broken one when there were so many good ones. He said that most of the collectors were amature watch repairmen. They wanted something that they could say that they had fixed.

Keeping this in mind I would say that if you think that you will want to sell it some time soon don't paint it because some collector will want to buy it and take a before picture, paint it and then take an after picture and say see what I did. Nothing wrong with that because they have had a hand in the finished display.

If you want to show it to the public then I think if you paint it will attract more attention. If you want collector recognition it's probibly a mixed bag.

Just some advise from my observations of human nature.

Dick
Old 04-18-2005, 07:54:15 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Dick, I don't doubt your story a bit, and I think you're on to something.
I know that somehow anything that needs work is very attractive because of the potential sense of accomplishment. And in your mind you think it will be worth "more" when it's done. Kevin
Old 04-18-2005, 08:09:14 PM
Registered-III

Hi i think painted or not there just as interesting. The big thing i get a kick out of is people talking and wondering if it runs or not. And at the major Fair that i do the set up and a lot of displays at there were a couple talking about a potato digger and the guys wife asked what it was and his response was it a machine for picking up sticks> i forgot to mention that i left a pile if tomato stakes in the back of it< but i almost fell over laughing. So if you want to paint it do so or if you don't it will be OK also.
JEFF
Old 04-18-2005, 08:15:57 PM
Sponsor

Don't paint it,DJ. It looks too good the way it is.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:31:55 PM
Registered-III

mother nature has already done a nice paint job for you and you will never have to worry about scratching it or shining it up.Its beutiful.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:43:02 PM
Registered

Hi DJ. I would leave it in its current condition. I had an old timer tell me that when old iron is painted, it covers up its past. If it had different parts painted I would say paint it. Just my opinion ..
Old 04-18-2005, 08:46:48 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Sale after sale after sale has shown that you seldom, if EVER, get the cost of a PROFESSIONAL paint job back...or even a very good "do-it-yourself job" if your TIME has ANY value. Yeah...it's nice to have them looking all prettied up....but if it's THE RIGHT STUFF, paint won't make much difference in the end. Experienced, more well-heeled collectors should ALWAYS buy their stuff already restored because it's REALLY HARD to get your money back on a good restoration.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38:58 PM
Subscriber

I have all the original parts as well--fenders--gas tank cover--ect--only thing that is replaced that you can see is the little tank--I think she looks good the way she is--there is a lot of work in there one can;t see--and she runs like a clock--one pull to draw in fuel--and one to start-
d,j,
Old 04-19-2005, 12:13:09 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

DJ. Leave her be and spin the wheels some more! BobRR
Old 04-19-2005, 03:56:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

D.J.: I would leave it alone, keep it well oiled, and have fun diging neat trenches with the rear wheels.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18:10 AM
Registered-III

I like it the way it is...if it is painted real nice it kinda makes the tractor a show peice, it will look too nice to make work for fear of damiging the paint.

my thoughs

Mac Leod