Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks Question

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1438 times

Old 04-21-2005, 11:09:54 PM
Sky

Default Fairbanks Question

HI, is it possible to run a small Fairbanks Z on a buzz coil if it doesnt have a magneto and how would this be done?

Is it also possible to make a gas tank out of a small coffe can if you dont have the original fairbanks tank? and also how would that be done?

Sky (future 1st Fairbanks owner)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2005, 11:19:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: Fairbanks Question

Sky Glad to see your stepping up! What yr.Z?Ignitor or sparkplug?BobRR
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47:26 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Sky, hunt around here on Harry's page and you'll find some great schematics on the ignition. You can do it. Call back for any fine points you are wondering about. I have a 9 HP Economy that was converted to spark plug. THey put a brass bolt on the side of the cam.Of course, that point is grounded. When it was time for fire, it would contact an insulated terminal mounted beside it to complete the circuit. That would be the timing of the thing.Kevin
Old 04-22-2005, 12:18:45 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fairbanks Question

F/M made the Z engines with battery and coil operation. They were called Dishpan engines, because of the shape of the flywheels. These engines had a different cam profile than the mag fired engines. It is the same cam and timer mechanism used on the special electric generater engines, only the coil got power fron a set of dry cell batteries instead of the generater battery pack. Lee Pederson probably has the fuel tank, cheaper than one you make yourself. Look in Harry's advertiser pages You can probably pick up the ignition rig-up from Hit and Miss, you will need the entire cam and timer assembly. You may jury rig a wipe spark set up as described above, but it will run down the batteries pretty quickly.
Andrew
Old 04-22-2005, 12:41:04 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Andrew most Z engines(1915 till the 40's) are throttle gov. with a mag! Several changes along the way.Dishpans(solid flywheel) could be ether way(hit&miss w/Battery&buzz coil orT/G W/mag) but are still a Z.Sky let us know what you have and will help you out! BobRR
Old 04-22-2005, 01:28:20 AM
Sky

Hi guys!

it is a small Z, maybee 3 foot tall from hopper to ground?
dish pan flywheels, i think made in 1917.
i'll have pictures when i get the engine, dont have it yet, but i will soon!

oh wait, i got numbers.

serial 641447

2 H.P. @ 600 R.P.M.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:08:34 AM
Registered-III

Sky,
by the serial number you gave here , your engine dates to about 1925. What color is it , if it's red with a little black on the ridge of the flywheels and some other places, it is called a "battery equipped" dishpan engine , these engines were hit and miss , they used a battery and a model T buzz coil , which is stored in a sheet metal battery box hanging off the stud on the side of the engine. The boxes along with the tin oilier/ pot metal oilers are hard the find and expensive when you do , no so much the oilers I have seen a lot on Ebay recently. Since this is a hit and miss engine it is governed off the exhaust valve, there is a spring between the rocker arm and the shaft which aids in this with out the right tension the engine will not spark right or sometimes not run at all. Believe me , I have one I have been working on since the last Hudson auction and I still haven't worked all the bugs out yet , but ,I am lucky to have a complete all original one that runs well, you should have these problems, but I figured I will tell you anyway's. One other important thing about this engine is the timer plunger which is the thing at the end of the push rod will sometimes get flat spotted this will effect spark so check it.
These are great engines the see run especially since they are hit and miss and Fairbanks didn't make many of that time , just mainly throttle governed, I also have a 1927 dishpan engine which is throttle governed and it running with a original un-touched R magneto
Have fun
post any further questions
~ Jonathan
Old 04-22-2005, 12:37:26 PM
Sky

in this picture i got, it is green, BUT, it looks to have been repainted to green.
they say it is a hit&miss soooooo..........only thing i could do is scratch alittle of the green of and see what the original color was.....
Old 04-22-2005, 03:58:07 PM
Registered-III

FBM also made a 2hp dishpan engine which was green, it was hit & miss, and it had a type R mag on it. A lot of people call all the old 2 flywheel farm engines hit & miss even thought they are not.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11:16 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

Is there any linkage connecting the mixer and the governor on the engine, or provision to connect a linkage? If so, it is a throttler. If I remember correctly, the hit and miss version uses a pretty basic fixed jet mixer. You'll be able to tell pretty quick because the mixer for the throttler is pretty big and has two needle valves, one on each side. If it's a throttler, the wipe spark timer system described above will work pretty good. I had a similar setup on my ZA until I bought an AB-33 mag for it. Good luck, Mike.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:26:52 PM
Registered-II

Skylar, my first hit and miss was a 1-1/2 hp headless fbm. It has been changed over to a spark plug and buzz coil and the rod has been brazed. It sets and runs all days at the shows,its a 1916 it runs all day and its mine. Hope to here that yours runs good to. Bob, Its still my favorite engine.